Last few questions on build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17A
Last few questions on build sheet

Build sheet is due on Friday and just a have a few last questions:

1) Stove / Sink - stainless or not? I'm ok paying up if powder coating isn't going to hold up as well

2) Grey water tank - didn't realize that 17A's don't have 'em. We like camping, so I have no problems emptying out a 5 gallon bucket - just wondering if anyone put one in that doesn't have a bathroom.

3) 12V interior outlets - thinking 3. Where are the ones you use the most or wish you had one?

4) Exterior access hatch and storage box - do I need both? We're big on outdoor gear, but just curious what others think.

5) Stereo - getting it pre-wired in case I want to add one (and probably will...) , what do you do for an antenna in this case - any idea?

Thanks again everyone!

davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
1) we went with the standard one, as we do pretty much all cooking outside. Would you be an indoor cooker, you might want to upgrade
2) can't answer. We have a 19
3) one outside for pumping up tires (in case), use of fan, etc.
one close to kitchen counter (ours is on front panel top cabinets)
don't see the need for a third one, but might want to choose dinette area....
4) hatch size is not too big, might want to measure what you want to put through. we went for
extra access door inside and put bigger stuff in car
storage box: you won't regret getting it! Lots of dirty, wet stuff goes in ours all the time
5) have non of that, can't help you here
Hope I am of little help. Exciting getting so close he? Best wishes with everything and keep us posted!

Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
1) Stainless, 'cause I like it.

2) Never knew that, I guess the sink drains right outside?

3) We did 3 in the 5.0TA, at the head of the bed, on a cabinet by the door, and at the dinette. All get used. I did add one in a pull-up a 120V/USB receptacle in the galley, but it only works when hooked to the grid, which is not that often.

4) If you are getting the storage box, you could always hold off until you use the trailer a bunch, then add one if you really feel you need it. It is an easy task to do.

5) I opted for nothing. We had a stereo in our 19 which was outdated in short order. We now use a bluetooth speaker, and play songs from my phone, either from my large library or using Spotify. We also use the bluetooth speaker for the TV. The only way I have to play radio though, is through my phone if I have data.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
From the ETI web page, it would seem that a grey water tank is optional.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 4.50.35 PM.png (21.1 KB, 15 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Many campgrounds will not allow gray water discharge to an open container these days, so you'll need to get a closed catch container that can connect to a hose. Personally I'd just get the gray tank.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
I'd be interested to know what others with A models (15s or 17s or whatever) have done -especially those with no gray tank.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'd be interested to know what others with A models (15s or 17s or whatever) have done -especially those with no gray tank.
I have a three-gallon bucket that the sink drains into; I dump that into the drain below a campground fresh water spigot...certainly a lot easier than dumping a gray-water tank at a facility in my opinion.

I'm curious though, what tent campers are supposed to do with their gray water (dishwater) in those campgrounds that don't have a drain system. The federal campgrounds with which I'm familiar have no facilities other than pit toilets and maybe a few water spigots here and there. In the old days we just threw our dishwater into the bushes.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #8

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Many campgrounds will not allow gray water discharge to an open container these days, so you'll need to get a closed catch container that can connect to a hose. Personally I'd just get the gray tank.
From my short popup camper trial: Using a ubiquitous plastic pail with a lid, drill a hole in the lid that is just the diameter of the hose. Stick the hose in for a sealed container, add a cork to keep the grey water in when carrying into the woods for disposal.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 21
Don't think the non-stainless stove is powder coated, and you don't hear of people complaining. On the other hand you can read of others with the stainless stove tops looking bad after awhile- one reason why many retrofit truly upgraded cook tops ETI doesn't offer.

Wouldn't do a stereo; too many after market options. If ETI mounts speakers you're kind of stuck with them.

Get the front box for sure- you will not regret it.

We don't use our gray tank much at all, however would probably get it.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Grey water

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I have a three-gallon bucket that the sink drains into; I dump that into the drain below a campground fresh water spigot...certainly a lot easier than dumping a gray-water tank at a facility in my opinion.

I'm curious though, what tent campers are supposed to do with their gray water (dishwater) in those campgrounds that don't have a drain system. The federal campgrounds with which I'm familiar have no facilities other than pit toilets and maybe a few water spigots here and there. In the old days we just threw our dishwater into the bushes.

Hi Karen
The grey water question is a good one, especially for tent campers. In some states there are signs encouraging campers to carry their water to grey water drains located throughout the campground. I have decanted a few gallons into these grates to make another shower night even with the Escape and carried it in a bucket I bring along.
In some parks the same practice is encouraged and the dump station is used. Last month at the provincial park in Ontario called The Pinery, it was allowed to dump in the woods or " in the front corner of the fire ring". However there is an old practice among owners of early fibgerglass trailers and fold downs where a short piece of hose drained into a bucket placed alongside the camper. Of course the camper did not want the bucket to get tipped over. So it was common practice to anchor the bucket with a stake driven through the bottom of bucket. Never seemed to fill up. Probably evaporated��
Dave