4 season capability - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #1

Trailer: none
4 season capability

I recently joined the forum and am pretty much beginning my research of various trailers with the intent to purchase in the next couple of years prior to retirement. As I stated in my introduction thread the other day, I have become very interested in the Escape trailers, particularly the 19. I have quite a number of questions about the Escape that some of you would have answers to or might be able to direct me to other threads that provide an answer. One of my biggest questions is on 4 season capability. As I research various products on the market, I see a lot of the stick builts (which I definitely don't favor) claim to be 4 season capable with more cabin insulation and have insulated and enclosed tanks and plumbing, among other things. I read where the Oliver Trailers have enclosed tanks/plumbing with ducted heating to the tank compartment. Can anyone enlighten me on what the Escape has specifically as standard and or optional equip. that would enable 4 season use or what modifications might be required?

Besides the usual "camping season use, my anticipated uses are to travel to areas out west at elevation and up north (MN, UP, Canada) during shoulder seasons where nighttime temps will be below freezing, using the TT during excursions to hunt where temps would definitely be below freezing (SD/ND pheasant, CO elk/deer, etc.). I see some pics and read some threads of those traveling to go ski and use the trailer in such conditions. However, I am not clear on what the TT can "handle" and what is required to get there for it to "handle" such conditions. Any help would be appreciated. The more specific the better.

Tgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I believe with the foam underneath, thermal windows and extra insulation you can camp comfortably down to -0- with electric hook ups and running an electric heater. As long as it goes above freezing during the day or you are moving the tanks should not freeze.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
You also may want to invest in a heated water supply hose if you find a cg that has heated pedestals. Some do, even in New York and West Virginia in the winter.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
You won't be able to dump the tanks if temps are consistently below freezing unless you use skirting and heat the space under the trailer. See this thread for complete discussion. Look at Lance trailers or Oliver trailers if this capacity is essential to you.

How cold can I go?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
You won't be able to dump the tanks if temps are consistently below freezing unless you use skirting and heat the space under the trailer. See this thread for complete discussion. Look at Lance trailers or Oliver trailers if this capacity is essential to you.

How cold can I go?
I think Escape trailers are great, but if you really want a four season trailer then I would recommend you look at Bigfoot trailers. An Escape can work in freezing temperatures, but if four season capabilities is a main criteria then get something designed for it. Of course you will have to pay a lot more and it will be substantially heavier. I personally don't need four season capability so an Escape is perfect for us.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0TA on Deposit
I wonder where holding tanks can be dumped in cold climates, all the dump stations up here appear closed in the winter months..
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post

How cold can I go?
I really like the idea of 4 season and it is important, but not so much that after a few years of gently bouncing down forest service roads the thing falls apart on me. The Lance and other stick builts just scare me regarding their longevity. I like the idea of a Bigfoot, but the Escape has the perfect floorplan and other features I like. The Oliver is really nice and they are very proud of it ($$$$). I may have to compromise on "true" 4 season and work around it. As it is, MOST of my use would be during the shoulder seasons and during summer months.

That being said, can you guys tell me some about the insulation? I have read a couple threads that refer to buying their Escape with added insulation. Are they referring to the spray on stuff underneath the trailer spraying over the tanks and exposed fiberglass or is it some other added insulation. I saw one thread discussing putting added foam panels underneath and that is something I could very readily do.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #8

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
The added insulation is a separate option from the foam underneath. It's a closed cell foam sheeting material they put under the vinyl headliner. It doesn't have a big R value, but it adds in several ways:
- Insulation from cold and hot
- Sound reduction
- It just feels good to have cushioning under the headliner.

You also need to get the double pane windows.
I really like how this all works in my trailer. You do need to be sure to leave a window cracked and the Maxxfan open and running on 10% to prevent condensation.
Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgent View Post
I saw one thread discussing putting added foam panels underneath and that is something I could very readily do.
Not sure what thread you viewed, but for your reference:
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f40/spray-foam-option-11339.html#post218211
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not sure what thread you viewed, but for your reference:
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f40/spray-foam-option-11339.html#post218211
Yes, that is the thread I saw. Although I have just started this research process, the more you guys respond the more comfortable I am that an Escape would serve my purpose! Lots more research though as I know nothing(!!!!) about solar system, inverters, converters and generators and the like (the rest of trailering). My wife and I know we want to boondock a lot so I've got to get this stuff figured out. Again, thanks to all of you help so far.

Tags
4 season use