If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #111
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That sounds like a great idea, Ken. I too love lots of windows around the bed are, like in the 19. I don't imagine a rock guard would be needed on a window up there, would it? What are the specs on this window, dual glazed, operating or fixed, etc?

Jim, as far as being colder, that wee bit of insulation loss would not matter much, and with a forced air furnace, the air circulates anyway. I know cold nights (which we see a lot of) with the big windows around our bed in the 19 are not an issue at all. I do wonder a bit about circulation in the loft area though. Mind you, if it was an issue, a tiny fan up there would circulate things fine.
My understanding is that they would use the same window from the 17 or 19, not sure for sure. It was quoted as about a $300.00 appx (dont hold me to that) option back a little while.

As far as accessing the cover, just a quick jump up on the truck bed should do it.

Ken
__________________

__________________
2015 5.0TA, 2015 Silverado 5.3
TRAILER NAME: " SUNBIRDS EGSK8P "
16 to 18 MPG CDN Towing
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #112
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 6,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
We are putting a front window on the 5.0ta. It is good to be able to see all sides of your camping area especially at nite.

ken and diana
Okay, it's your trailer your decision. But unless you want to get on your hands and knees and look outside, that front window won't do you much. During the day, looking at the front window.. you'll be looking at the sky.. not your tug or the road in front.

When Scamp first built their "5ver" it came standard with a front non-opening window in the loft. Five years later a BUNCH of folks that complained at leaks on the bed, they made the front window an option... sometime early 20?? they changed the mold to no longer accept a front window. WHY? In a driving rain the nose under tow... water just finds it's way inside! Even monster stickbuilt 5ers don't have front nose windows (okay, I've seen a few, but they have a fiberglass nose cone that wraps around the entire front end). I miss the front window, it's in my Scamp, but water intrution and some of the horror stories I've read over the years makes me glad Ten Forward is "slick" on the nose. YMMV

Years ago, prior to ETI building even the first 5.0... I thought a Scamp 5er deluxe was in my future. What I really didn't like was sleeping side-to-side with my head in one window and feet in the other. With the ETI standard build my head and feet aren't in a window... you're planning with your head right there... in a window.
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:47 PM   #113
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, it's your trailer your decision. But unless you want to get on your hands and knees and look outside, that front window won't do you much. During the day, looking at the front window.. you'll be looking at the sky.. not your tug or the road in front.

When Scamp first built their "5ver" it came standard with a front non-opening window in the loft. Five years later a BUNCH of folks that complained at leaks on the bed, they made the front window an option... sometime early 20?? they changed the mold to no longer accept a front window. WHY? In a driving rain the nose under tow... water just finds it's way inside! Even monster stickbuilt 5ers don't have front nose windows (okay, I've seen a few, but they have a fiberglass nose cone that wraps around the entire front end). I miss the front window, it's in my Scamp, but water intrution and some of the horror stories I've read over the years makes me glad Ten Forward is "slick" on the nose. YMMV

Years ago, prior to ETI building even the first 5.0... I thought a Scamp 5er deluxe was in my future. What I really didn't like was sleeping side-to-side with my head in one window and feet in the other. With the ETI standard build my head and feet aren't in a window... you're planning with your head right there... in a window.
That also goes for the previous camper we had and previous motor home too . We always wished front window was not there . Looks like most manufacturer 's have eliminated the front windows because they are a problem you don't want or need .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 PM   #114
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 8,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
We are putting a front window on the 5.0ta. It is good to be able to see all sides of your camping area especially at nite.
I understand the idea, but i wouldn't do it. I agree with Donna - it's not likely to be very effective for looking around - a "backup" camera looking forward would probably work better, without making a window opening in the front of the trailer. I think there are reasons that front windows in fifth-wheels are extremely rare... but the only important thing is that your trailer works for you.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:55 PM   #115
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,149
Given that you don't have to go outside to the "john", I'd forgo the window and wait until morning to look around.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #116
Senior Member
 
ice-breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Beaumont, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 1,745
Maybe a see through dome skylight would give you those 360° views you desire.


Or maybe something like this?
__________________
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19' and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #117
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, it's your trailer your decision. But unless you want to get on your hands and knees and look outside, that front window won't do you much. During the day, looking at the front window.. you'll be looking at the sky.. not your tug or the road in front.

When Scamp first built their "5ver" it came standard with a front non-opening window in the loft. Five years later a BUNCH of folks that complained at leaks on the bed, they made the front window an option... sometime early 20?? they changed the mold to no longer accept a front window. WHY? In a driving rain the nose under tow... water just finds it's way inside! Even monster stickbuilt 5ers don't have front nose windows (okay, I've seen a few, but they have a fiberglass nose cone that wraps around the entire front end). I miss the front window, it's in my Scamp, but water intrution and some of the horror stories I've read over the years makes me glad Ten Forward is "slick" on the nose. YMMV

Years ago, prior to ETI building even the first 5.0... I thought a Scamp 5er deluxe was in my future. What I really didn't like was sleeping side-to-side with my head in one window and feet in the other. With the ETI standard build my head and feet aren't in a window... you're planning with your head right there... in a window.
Donna, you make a lot of good points. I agree, I would not go with the front window..
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #118
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 241
i guess to each their own, but I believe escape uses a very good sealant around the windows, and it would be a non opening window, so I think the extra light and view at nite wud be worth the risk.

Ken
__________________
2015 5.0TA, 2015 Silverado 5.3
TRAILER NAME: " SUNBIRDS EGSK8P "
16 to 18 MPG CDN Towing
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #119
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,180
I too think that installation could easily be done to ensure no leakage. I like the idea of lots of natural light, though I imagine the escape hatch would help with that matter too. A bit of a view from the loft would not be too bad either. I know in my 19, though with big windows, I love gawking around at the world as I contemplate getting out of bed for the day.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #120
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
i guess to each their own, but I believe escape uses a very good sealant around the windows, and it would be a non opening window, so I think the extra light and view at nite wud be worth the risk.

Ken
Think the problem could be flexing going down the road which eventually loosens the seal .we had to keep going to glass man to reseal . He used what is used for windshield sealing . It would loosen up after awhile . We had our camper and motor home 12 and 11 years . Not trying to tell you what to do . Just sharing experience.
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.