Price Increase - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #131

Trailer: 2014 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't see how that would do any good. If they need to buy a US-made component that used to cost US$100, so it cost them C$120, and the exchange rate shifts so it now still costs US$100 but that's now C$140, it's C$140 out of the Escape bank account no matter where the cheque is written. As you say, there is no duty so the cost doesn't change by crossing the border.
The model I'm suggesting assumes a US-based account that would be used to purchase US supplied materials. If the Canadian dollar declines relative to the US dollar, then the Canadian purchaser (ETI) wouldn't be adversely affected when paying US suppliers from a US dollar-based account. True?

Old 02-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #132

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Alberta is a very diverse province. There are many "well to do" people here that will feel the recession, but have a large enough income and small enough debt load that it will not really disrupt their lifestyle. There are also many who are living hand to mouth and any disruptions or reductions in their income can have devastating effects on their lifestyle. These are the working poor. There is also another class that includes many with good high paying jobs (usually oil industry based) who assumed that oil generated good times were going to be permanent. Many of these folks have lived a high debt lifestyle that has no chance of surviving any periods of recession. You know the type, big house with big mortgage, new cars/trucks bought on credit, and a yard full of toys including snow machines, quads, boats, and super big 5th wheel trailers, of course all bought on credit. Those people are really hit hard during bad times.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #133

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
This is only the beginning of a ripple affect. Soon more and more will be affected as many businesses will have sales down. Resulting in more lay offs, and probably upting prices, trying to survive. It's just plain sad it is this way.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #134

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Do they teach personal fiscal responsibility in school? Seems like a good use of student and teacher time. I haven't been in public school for a half a century but did manage some pretty good sized budgets when I was working. Sometimes you have to say no.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #135

Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Do they teach personal fiscal responsibility in school? Seems like a good use of student and teacher time. I haven't been in public school for a half a century but did manage some pretty good sized budgets when I was working. Sometimes you have to say no.
Dave
Dave, no they don't unfortunately. With borrowing being so cheap now many Canadians are going into unbelievable debt. They say many would be in financial difficulty if they missed but ONE pay cheque.

If you want to read about Canadians and our crazy debt levels, check out the blog I've been following for a month or so. The author is a financial guy but has also been involved in real estate and was Canadian cabinet minister in charge of revenue.

Book and Weblog – Authored by Garth Turner — Greater Fool – Authored by Garth Turner – The Troubled Future of Real Estate

We have sometimes thought of upgrading to 5.0TA or 21 but with the current price increase and the fact we travel so much in the US, we shall have to be happy with our classic 5.0 for some time yet

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #136

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Do they teach personal fiscal responsibility in school? Seems like a good use of student and teacher time..... Sometimes you have to say no.
Dave
I doubt it (teaching personal fiscal responsibility).
I agree (sometimes you have to say no).
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #137

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
As far as prices go, if a new Escape Trailer costs more so can a used Escape Trailer.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #138

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Dave
Fiscal responsibility? No!

Entitlement? Very commonly, Yes.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #139

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The exchange rate on Oct 1st ,2015 was $1 US =$1.33 CAN
The exchange rate on Jan 31st ,2016 was $1 US= $1.40 CAN...
As already mentioned, this is too short a time span for meaningful comparisons. Maybe it would be helpful to go back to the last time that the Escape prices were changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
The model I'm suggesting assumes a US-based account that would be used to purchase US supplied materials. If the Canadian dollar declines relative to the US dollar, then the Canadian purchaser (ETI) wouldn't be adversely affected when paying US suppliers from a US dollar-based account. True?
No, not unless the price is adjusted to stay the same in US dollars despite the exchange rate change.

It isn't that easy, and it doesn't matter where your bank is located. It matters very little how many times you convert the currency, if you don't charge enough for the trailer you can't afford to buy the parts; the location of an account won't fix that.

If you have money saved, just sitting in an account, you certainly want that account in the currency which doing better. Shuffling money between accounts to achieve this is not possible for most people, and right up there with day-trading on the stock market as a game for those who think they are smarter than everyone else.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #140

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Fiscal responsibility? No!

Entitlement? Very commonly, Yes.
I think how to handle your money started for us at home . I think the entitlements that need changing are ceo's pay and perks , government workers and their pensions we can no longer support , including city workers , really taking a look at disability payouts ,sometimes not earned . paying into social security every dollar you earn , no cut off . Charging you penalties for moving your money out of the United States . How come we paid enormous taxes and license fees , for our trailer bought out of country ? However ,corporations know with their lawyers how to not pay their fair share in taxes . The little guy doesn't have the lawyers or lobbyists so we end up paying for everyone including Congress who become millionaires and have better health care then the average little guy which we supplement . I really need to go camping . I have been home to long . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote