Those with no AC, please weigh in - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape

Old 09-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
we travel cross country and when you need A/C it's pretty freakin' nice. sure we only use it occasionally BUT.... BTW, we purchased our Escape 19 w/o and added it soon after.

steve

flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:11 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We can snuggle in on cold nights with a nice comforter and sleep really well. Nothing worse for us than trying to sleep when it's hot.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #33

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Living in Colorado we decided on 2 Maxx fans and the A/C ready option. Then we decided to volunteer in Big Bend NP where the early spring temperatures hit 105 F before April. We did suffer.

But I like the idea of a little computer fan near the bed per an earlier post. Potential for quiet and directed air flow across the bed. And of course a variable speed sensor to reduce the RPM as the temperature lowers. Computer controlled, naturally, to keep me entertained with another project during the winter.

--
Alan
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:06 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Living in Colorado we decided on 2 Maxx fans and the A/C ready option. Then we decided to volunteer in Big Bend NP where the early spring temperatures hit 105 F before April. We did suffer.
My hat's off to you Alan. Not only for volunteering, but for braving the west Texas "spring" with no AC. It can definitely get hot very early in Big Bend. We camped at Chisos Basin on the way home from Osoyoos this year, and it was much cooler than what you dealt with -- but still pretty warm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #35

Trailer: Eureka Equinox 6 person tent. (with a broken zipper) 5.0 TA on order July 2017 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We didn't get an A/C primarily because I don't like roof mounted units. And most of the time we're boondocking without power. We've traveled from Alaska to Baja and only a very few times we've wanted A/C.

Our $88 unit mounts in minutes in the window and for the few times we used it it did the job. And, if a future owner wanted an roof mount unit the trailers wired for it. So it's not an all or nothing situation.

Ron
Ron, that is a very nice installation of a small unit. Did you post pictures of the installation process? Seems like with the split rear window of the new 2017 models it would be an interesting job to mount a temp. A/C support on the back using the spare tire bracket or bumper for support.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Last summer in the South Dakota Badlands we were unable to get an electric site and it was really hot with no shade. It was too hot for us to do any hiking or sightseeing after about 11:00 in the morning and there was nothing else to do in the trailer but lie on the bed and sweat during the long afternoon. In the North Dakota Badlands it was pretty much the same situation but we just went into town to an air conditioned restaurant and library. This summer in the 1000 Islands it was 90 degrees every day and we were in the shade so the trailer didn't get too hot during the day, but the nights were just barely comfortable -- I think we were faced the wrong way and didn't get the advantage of some of the breezes -- that is something to consider when you set up camp without air conditioning. You have to decide what your own comfort level is in the heat.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #37

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
Much depends on how you deal with heat and the swings day to night. Here along Lake Ontario in upstate NY, it has been in the 85F - 90's over the last couple of weeks. Most nights the lake cools things down to the 60F at night, & I have no problems with the heat of the day knowing that the night will cool down for sleeping. No AC in the house.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a weekend concert in the Finger Lakes, and it didn't cool down below the mid 70's at night - I was miserable.

And while everyone makes fun of "Dry Heat", I have to admit I didn't feel too bad with 95 - 100 temperatures in the desert in Arizona & California, although I can't imagine the 120F summer temperatures.

I have an air conditioner on the roof of the Escape, however I rarely use it. I can only think of 3 - 4 occasions where I moved out of a dry site to a commercial campground so I would have hookups to run the AC. I've never run it at night; only to cool down the trailer during the hottest part of the afternoon.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
As I read these threads, I can't help but wonder if ETI would install a customer supplied AC unit.

For me, a 7500 (?) would be awesome while no doubt some of you in the deep south would love the option of a 13000(?) btu or even the 15000 units I see driving by my campsite at this moment.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Ron, that is a very nice installation of a small unit. Did you post pictures of the installation process? Seems like with the split rear window of the new 2017 models it would be an interesting job to mount a temp. A/C support on the back using the spare tire bracket or bumper for support.
I did do a full write-up in 2015 but with a limited connection I can't find it right now.

Mine worked well because the emergency escape window works well for putting a portable unit there. The window even becomes a rain cover.

Interesting idea about using the same idea with the new style rear window. I don't know if the window hinges up enough to do that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #40

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Mine worked well because the emergency escape window works well for putting a portable unit there. The window even becomes a rain cover.

Interesting idea about using the same idea with the new style rear window. I don't know if the window hinges up enough to do that.

Ron
Nope, the frameless windows don't open far enough to install that type of a/c on the rear windows.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote