TV/Cable Ready Outlet Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
TV/Cable Ready Outlet Question

We have the "TV/Cable Ready with 120V Outlet" option on our 2018 Escape 21. We don't have the Jack Antenna. My question: Is the TV/Cable Outlet simply a piece of coaxial cable that runs from the outside outlet to the inside outlet? That was my assumption. The reason I ask is because the two times we have hooked up to "cable" it worked fine. However, when I hooked up to an outside antenna using the TV/Cable Outlet, the amplifier on the antenna would not work and we didn't receive any tv stations. If I bypassed the TV/Cable Outlet and ran the same length of coaxial cable directly from the antenna to the amplifier/TV, it worked fine. I can't figure out why running it through the TV/Cable Outlet would cause it to lose the signal. This is not a big deal because we rarely watch TV but I do want to understand.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19 ďLillyĒ
All coaxial cable is not the same. Each is made with a specific impedance, usually 50 or 75 ohms, and different types of electronics are designed to operate with a certain cable impedance. If you mismatch them they donít work.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #3

Trailer: No camper! It's weird! Ordered a 5.0 for an Oct 26th delivery
We changed our TV/120V to TV/12V USB. Today's 12V TV's are awesome and don't need an inverter to run.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21 due Dec 2018, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We changed our TV/120V to TV/12V USB. Today's 12V TV's are awesome and don't need an inverter to run.

Enjoy,

Perry
We are in the process of finalizing the build sheet for our 21 due in December and when we told Joldie of our 12V TV, she suggested that we delete the 120V receptacle and substitute a 12V outlet instead, and receive a $25 credit as well. Done deal. Not huge $, but enough for a couple of six packs!!
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
All coaxial cable is not the same. Each is made with a specific impedance, usually 50 or 75 ohms, and different types of electronics are designed to operate with a certain cable impedance. If you mismatch them they donít work.
I think this is on the right track. Although the "RG" nomenclature isn't a standard anymore, I think the cable from the external jack to the internal jack is RG6. So, 75 ohm. If you use similar coax outside, it should work fine. Ours does.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I think if you pull the wall plate you will find 2 cable ports, some have 3, one goes to the outside cable port, the other would connect to the OTA antenna. If that is what you see, try hooking up to that with the antenna and see if it works, this port would be the amplified port.

At least this is the way it was on my 2006, haven't pulled the one on my Escape.

Something like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amp.jpg (47.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I think if you pull the wall plate you will find 2 cable ports, some have 3, one goes to the outside cable port, the other would connect to the OTA antenna. If that is what you see, try hooking up to that with the antenna and see if it works, this port would be the amplified port.

At least this is the way it was on my 2006, haven't pulled the one on my Escape.

Something like this.
I think you're right Bob, but the OP doesn't have the Jack Antenna. So, the connection between the inside and outside jack should be direct, no?
Old 08-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Don't really know what just TV/Cable ready, without an antenna, would amount to.
The OP made it sound like there was an amplifier, which to me sounded like same wall plate with built in amp that I have. I could well be wrong.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
True, but coaxial cable for "cable TV' and for TV antennas is the same - 75 ohms characteristic impedance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Although the "RG" nomenclature isn't a standard anymore, I think the cable from the external jack to the internal jack is RG6. So, 75 ohm. If you use similar coax outside, it should work fine. Ours does.
RG6 and RG59 are both 75 ohm, and both are suitable for short runs of TV cable. Just don't use the commonly available RG58, which 50 ohm.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote