Willing to share your build sheet? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #61

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Yeah the car insurance paid for except for the thousand dollars deductible of course. There were so many cars in town that needed repairs it took us a couple of months of waiting on a list. The weekend it happened,was such a difficult time for me because my husband had left with the other car and was four states away on a fishing trip and I was stuck at the convention center. My son had come and hour earlier to help me finish setting up my booth and his car was damaged very badLy also. I was in tears.The whole downtown area was like a ghost town with smashed in cars. Fortunately I called someone from my church Who lived out far from town. He went to a hardware store and bought lots of duct tape and tarps to tape over our cars so the a upholstery wouldn't get ruined if it rained again. He had to stand in a long line to purchase it and was fortunate that any of that was left. I had started calling all the rental places and even the airport and no one had any cars that were not damaged. I didn't know how I would get back-and-forth to the convention center to do my quilt Booth. I live out in the country. Fortunately the man from our church that came to help called his granddaughter and ask if I could use her pick up truck. The next day the quilt show started and the convention center was full when the lights went out. Women did their shopping with the light of their cell phones for about The first 20 minutes. What an adventure!
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:06 AM   #62

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Wow, what a deal. I can see why you have no interest in solar panels on the roof. Hope nothing like that happens again.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:45 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Check with Race about hail as well as your insurance. Probably won't happen again in your area, something about lightning not striking twice.....
Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Check with Race about hail as well as your insurance. Probably won't happen again in your area, something about lightning not striking twice.....
I think if they would let me beat the solar panel with a baseball bat for about 15 minutes I would consider getting a roof solar panel

About it not happening twice... I have already replaced my roof on my house twice because of hail and could have a thrid time, but I was tired of paying the deductable and just waited until the next hail storm. Like I said, the common saying in Abilene Texas is, if you don't like your roof color don't worry you get to change it every two years. Fortunately it usually isn't always baseball size. It is common to see cars driving around with pock marks all over for those who don't have collision or keep the insurance money recovered from it if their car is older.

I am considering the portable option though, just have to search out the right one.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Wow, what a deal. I can see why you have no interest in solar panels on the roof. Hope nothing like that happens again.
Oh, we count on it. We learn to run for cover. I just heard last week how there was a bad hail storm near the Dallas Fort Worth area with base ball hail.
You definitely don't want to be inside a car! The glass in the front windshield isn't suppose to break through but it was cracked all over with giant park marks several inches deep like a soft ball mitt which caused a lot of splinter fragments of glass being shot all over the interior, in every crack, corner and vent. I was hoping they would total the car, but it was only a couple of years old and a Lincoln. I heard one man who had a car that was not damaged actually beat up his car with a ball hammer hoping to get some money from it, but the insurance inspector was cleaver enough to figure it out. Serves him right.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Exactly, if it damages the panel your vent and a/c shroud will be gone as well as damage to the shell. Just make sure your insurance covers hail and you will be fine, get the solar from the factory. Most of your laptops use USB and they are already in the trailer and ready to use. If you do need 120v for something small they have plug in units, into the 12v round outlets, again already installed.
Jim I didn't know that laptops could be run on USB. So could I just get a usb to usb cord and plug it in to a usb electrical port and it would work?
Nancy
Old 01-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Jim I didn't know that laptops could be run on USB. So could I just get a usb to usb cord and plug it in to a usb electrical port and it would work?
Nancy
None that I have seen can. You can get a 12V charger for most that will plug into the cigarette lighter type plugs. I have opted to just use a small, inexpensive 200W inverter that does the same thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #68

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We don't own one, but I believe most of the newer tablet-style computers will charge through USB ports. Anyone have first-hand experience with those?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
We don't own one, but I believe most of the newer tablet-style computers will charge through USB ports. Anyone have first-hand experience with those?
Tablets will charge via USB. Ours will anyway. But not my laptop, and mine is quite small.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
None that I have seen can. You can get a 12V charger for most that will plug into the cigarette lighter type plugs. I have opted to just use a small, inexpensive 200W inverter that does the same thing.
Okay that makes sense. I have one that I use in my car. I want to be to pug in my computer and my phone while in bed. I tend to office while lounging on my bed. So I was wondering what outlet I want to put on the wall between the bathroom and the bed. So if I am boondocking it seems maybe I should use the 12v cigarette with or without the usb and use the inverter/converter plug for phone and laptop.

Does that sound like the best option?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #71

Most of my Apple products use the USB/cables.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #72

Quote:
Okay that makes sense. I have one that I use in my car. I want to be to pug in my computer and my phone while in bed. I tend to office while lounging on my bed. So I was wondering what outlet I want to put on the wall between the bathroom and the bed. So if I am boondocking it seems maybe I should use the 12v cigarette with or without the usb and use the inverter/converter plug for phone and laptop.

Does that sound like the best option?
That would be the USB/12v round outlet option as well as an extra 120v for those electric blanket nights
Attached Thumbnails
12VXUSBXInteriorXOutlet-1a.jpg  
Old 01-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #73

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
A USB outlet will not put out enough current or voltage for charging most laptop computers. A device something like this is usually needed.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOZO-Universa...laptop+charger

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #74

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
...About it not happening twice... I have already replaced my roof on my house twice because of hail and could have a thrid time, but I was tired of paying the deductable and just waited until the next hail storm. Like I said, the common saying in Abilene Texas is, if you don't like your roof color don't worry you get to change it every two years. Fortunately it usually isn't always baseball size. It is common to see cars driving around with pock marks all over for those who don't have collision or keep the insurance money recovered from it if their car is older....

Maybe if the area in which you live is repeatedly subjected to such severe hail storms that roofs are damaged and replaced every couple of years, it may be time to switch to a more durable style of roofing materials? You know that Albert Einstein said
Quote:
insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #75

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
From time to time, a hail storm hits a new car dealership around these parts, and if you don't mind dimples in the sheet metal, you can get some pretty great "Hail Sale" new car and truck deals.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
We would be glad to share ours...we sent it in November 2016
If it helps, my wife is a professor and writes the books for architects
on kitchen and bath design.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #77

Trailer: Escape 21
Interesting. I'm ordering dual 6 volt batteries as well as the front storage box on my build sheet. Are the batteries typically put into the storage box? If so are any modifications made at the factory to vent the batteries?
crennpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by crennpage View Post
Interesting. I'm ordering dual 6 volt batteries as well as the front storage box on my build sheet. Are the batteries typically put into the storage box? If so are any modifications made at the factory to vent the batteries?
On the 21 the batteries are inside either curb rear or in the rear with a "U" dinette, insane a vented box.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:19 AM   #79

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Willing to share your build sheet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crennpage View Post

Our new 2017 21'' TT has dual 6 volt batteries in a plastic storage box that is vented.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #80

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My 2013 19' has dual 6v batteries in the front dinette bench seat, in a plastic box vented to the exterior. Newer 19's all have batteries on the front of the trailer frame or in the front storage box. I like my batteries on the interior as it gives a bit more room in my front storage box for outside gear.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote