Bunk Bed in 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA to be finished in March and picked up in May '16
Bunk Bed in 5.0TA

Has anyone added a bunk bed to a 5.0TA?

Margaret and I are finalizing our build sheet (due in 4 days!) and we would like to equip our unit so that we can install a bunk bed over the dinette in the future. (We are waiting for our children do the right thing and present us with grandkids!)

I've discussed this with the folks at ETI. They don't offer a bunk over the dinette for the 5.0TA because it would block access to an emergency escape window. However, they are willing to consider adding blocking/reinforcements that would enable an owner to add a bunk.

I've searched the forum, and I see that bcescape has some good ideas (although not specifically for a 5.0TA) in a thread he started 6/14/09. Other than that, I've not found any prior work.

If you've done this mod or have ideas on how-to, please share.
As a starter, here is a concept to chew on.

GO TIGERS! (shameless plug for Clemson and Clemson football!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bunk Bed Concept 5.0TA.JPG (137.0 KB, 122 views)

Old 12-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Somehow blocking the rear egress window does not seem like the smartest idea, especially with grandkids back there. Just saying.

Doug

PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #3

Thank you, Doug. We may feel that way when we actually have grandkids, but I don't think so. For now, I'm trying to provide for the option to sleep an extra couple kids in the future.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Somehow blocking the rear egress window does not seem like the smartest idea, especially with grandkids back there. Just saying.

Doug
I'd have to agree with this comment. Since the grandkids aren't even a twinkle in your kids' eye yet (but they are in yours), I wouldn't worry about it too much. Heck, they might not even arrive! (My mom never got that twinkle for me and she was correct not to.)

If something bad happens, I would not want to risk the lives of those twinkles on not being about to get out of the trailer. Nor would I want to use a trailer for years with supports in the corner of the dinette area where you could bonk into them all the time (I know I would!), even if they're against the wall. If you have to sell the trailer down the road, that might put someone off on buying it.

I'd just figure on having the kids and grandkids camp in a tent or shove them all on the dinette bed or parcel them out between the dinette bed and the loft bed. Or shove 'em in the towing vehicle (heck I did that as a teenager due to my stepfather's snoring!).
Old 12-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I'm not seeing the problem here. The emergency window could still be opened. If the kids are small, they can get through it. (And if they're really little, an adult would have to help them anyway, so the adult would open the window and drop the bunk in a flash.) If they're big, then they're big enough to dismantle the bunk to open the window wider.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #6

Indeed, there are many, many "ifs" between now and when we may actually have grandkids sleeping in our trailer. I hadn't thought of snoring as one, but who knows?!

Resale is a consideration for sure. No details of this concept have been worked out. Removable brackets? The details would have to allow a clean look when dismantled.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
We've got two granddaughters who are cousins and very close. They have sleepovers all the time and always sleep in the same bed. We plan to take them camping often and have them sleep in the dinette. The older one is 11 yrs. old and still very comfortable with her little cuz.

Cheers
Old 12-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The bunk bed in the 19 is window level, perhaps if you can make your supports below the window to allow opening by the occupant then that issue is moot. You can skip the glassed in supports and build a free standing frame over the dinette that would sit on the dinette subframe, just make an allowance with the cushions. Another option is an "U" dinette that can be made into two twin beds.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Has anyone considered the practicality of the escape window/hatch on a small trailer?
Old 12-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
By the time grandchildren are camping, you may be onto another trailer or RV. As for bunks and being able to use the emergency exit, adults have to get out of that window. Seconds count in a fire. You would likely be fooling around with the bunks or the stuff on them. There are also other possibilities besides a fire.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote