Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 29 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #281

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Was removing the AC hard to do? I'm thinking to remove it and replace with another fan or vent
LJY: I would say it is not that hard to do for the average person. The unit weighs 100 lbs so it needs to be lifted off the roof or slid down a ladder by two strong people. Maybe you saw this post? Has a couple of pictures that may help.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/custom-air-conditioning-retrofit-8249-22.html#post183339

We replaced with a non-powered Fantastic vent (and obviously the mini-split A/C), but bear in mind that is you want a 12V powered vent you will need to fish wire to that location. When you remove the A/C you will be left with only 120V power at that location. I'm not sure if there is any way to leverage the wiring that comes up for the thermostat on a newer unit? Our older A/C had controls on the unit itself only.

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #282

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Personally I would not have any problem in using the wire to power a 12 volt fan that is normally there to power the AC via 120 volts. It is way over rated for that fan. Just make sure that you disconnect it from the 120 volt side of the power panel first and hook it up to the 12 volt side with the size fuse recommended by the manufacturer of the fan after it is installed.

Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #283
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Here's the reverse procedure that Myron did for some ideas.

Install an air conditioner yourself
Thanks! will read all about it
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #284
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
LJY: I would say it is not that hard to do for the average person. The unit weighs 100 lbs so it needs to be lifted off the roof or slid down a ladder by two strong people. Maybe you saw this post? Has a couple of pictures that may help.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/custom-air-conditioning-retrofit-8249-22.html#post183339

We replaced with a non-powered Fantastic vent (and obviously the mini-split A/C), but bear in mind that is you want a 12V powered vent you will need to fish wire to that location. When you remove the A/C you will be left with only 120V power at that location. I'm not sure if there is any way to leverage the wiring that comes up for the thermostat on a newer unit? Our older A/C had controls on the unit itself only.
Thanks, btw, great work..
I find it interesting that these split systems are just getting popular here in the US... they've been around for 40+ years in Asia. Fujitsu is a good brand.. another couple of brands are Daikin (don't know if they sell here) and Panasonic.

Do you have enough clearance with the propane tanks in front of the compressor? or did I miss your tray somehow slides out to clear the tanks?
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #285

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Thanks, btw, great work..
I find it interesting that these split systems are just getting popular here in the US... they've been around for 40+ years in Asia. Fujitsu is a good brand.. another couple of brands are Daikin (don't know if they sell here) and Panasonic.

Do you have enough clearance with the propane tanks in front of the compressor? or did I miss your tray somehow slides out to clear the tanks?
Yes, Panasonic is the old Sanyo line and Daikin are good too. Trouble is availability in 120V. Even there smallest units are 208/230V. Fujitsu has the nicest selection of 120V units in my opinion.

There is clearance between the tanks and condenser, but not much. When the A/C is in use we simply remove the propane tank cover. The discharge air finds its way around the tanks just fine. Havenít had any issues. Ideally the condenser would be out front requiring no adjustments at the front of trailer to operate, but it would be subject to more damage in that position.

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote