Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 27 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #521

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Houghton Belaire rooftop units available

Cross posting here since this thread sees many views. In another thread Rick (rybny) has reported that the Houghton Belaire rooftop A/C units that were at one time supposedly only available through Advanced RV can be procured through RecPro. This is likely just a rebranding of the HB3400 unit being offered as the RP-AC3400 or A3400. This is a game changer as these units are much quieter than any Dometic or Coleman unit available. They also have a remote control so are perfect for a retrofit that is A/C ready (120V power) but does not have any control wiring in place. Apparently these are a heat pump because they have a heating function as well. If I hadn't done a mini-split conversion already this unit would be high on my list.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post363630
Old 11-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #522

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This is likely just a rebranding of the HB3400 unit being offered as the RP-AC3400 or A3400.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post363630
It seems like the H3400 is the 220V version. Here is a link to the product manual at an Australian store.

https://www.mygenerator.com.au/media...ner_Manual.pdf

And, here is the cover and a page from the manual that came with the A3400. Note that it lists the H3400 version.
Attached Thumbnails
Houghton Manual cover.jpg   Houghton Manual chart.jpg  
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #523

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
If I hadn't done a mini-split conversion already this unit would be high on my list.
But still no regrets about the Fujitsu mini-split in terms of performance, etc, correct?

While the Houghton unit does seem to offer some benefits over the ETI rooftop offerings, I'm still inclined to follow-through with the Fujitsu 12k BTU unit for my future 5.0 (with elimination of the roof opening and pre-accommodation of the rear OH cabinet cutout by ETI per our previous PM discussions).

My rationale (or rationalization?) ...
  • Preference for components that have a widely available and competitive US vendor / parts network presence (though apparently two vendors now I'm a tad leery of Houghton's limited US presence and parts sourcing that may involve Australian shipping delays).
  • IF I ever need local support, there's no shortage of Fujitsu, and similar mini-split, service folks in my immediate area (with infinitely better reputations than RV service facilities).
  • With no rooftop unit there's much more flexibility for placement of DIY rooftop PV arrays which are also in my plans (no, I do not envision driving AC with solar/battery power for my case - strictly a luxury when shore/generator power are available/appropriate).
  • A bit higher personal confidence (opinions may vary) that the touted low-noise levels of the Fujitsu unit will be actually realized in practice.
  • I suspect, but have no real basis I'll admit, that the Fujitsu inverter technology may lend to a bit 'friendlier' situation with generator power if wanted; the Houghton may lend to various 'soft-start capacitor' modifications but at least for now there doesn't seem to be support from folks like Micro-Air specific to the Houghton unit in the US.
Yeah, the Fujitsu mini-split DIY will certainly involve a bit more effort, but IMO you've shown that's within reason and it's a one-time 'hit' for long-term payback. Cost-wise it looks to be reasonably close to a 'wash' with the Houghton option.

I keep mentioning Fujitsu as opposed to the Pioneer mini-split that Joel (jphil23462) used simply because I prefer the aesthetics of the Fujitsu interior unit. In this for the long-haul and generally feel the Fujitsu is the best solution for me with that in mind.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
It seems like the H3400 is the 220V version. Here is a link to the product manual at an Australian store.

https://www.mygenerator.com.au/media...ner_Manual.pdf

And, here is the cover and a page from the manual that came with the A3400. Note that it lists the H3400 version.
Thanks Rick. I realize now that Advanced RV never called it the HB3400 or H3400. This was the model I simply figured it was when comparing to the Houghton Belaire units available overseas - thus the 220V power.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
But still no regrets about the Fujitsu mini-split in terms of performance, etc, correct?
Absolutely no regrets! The mini-split is amazing with a long list of positive attributes that I have outlined in detail in this thread.

Quote:
  • A bit higher personal confidence (opinions may vary) that the touted low-noise levels of the Fujitsu unit will be actually realized in practice.
Trust me that this isn't even a question. The Fujitsu is ridiculously quiet especially on quiet and low settings. You can only really start to hear it on medium and high. You can get an idea from my videos. 23 db(A) on quiet and max 43 db(A) on high. Most air conditioner manufacturers won't even offer sound data. The Houghton unit is a "quiet" option for rooftop units and is still 47db on low and and 56-59 db on high. Think about that for a moment - the Fujitsu on HIGH is quieter than the Houghton on LOW and the Houghton is quieter than the Dometic and Coleman units!!

Quote:
  • I suspect, but have no real basis I'll admit, that the Fujitsu inverter technology may lend to a bit 'friendlier' situation with generator power if wanted; the Houghton may lend to various 'soft-start capacitor' modifications but at least for now there doesn't seem to be support from folks like Micro-Air specific to the Houghton unit in the US.
The inverter compressor on the Fujitsu is very friendly at start up and during operation because it dials in to right where it is needed for optimal operation. The Houghton rooftop unit appears to have the soft start technology built in based on this in the features list: "PTC Soft Start technology". Of course this only helps while the unit is starting and not while it is running.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #526

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Agree to everything Dave said above about Fujitsu performance especially its quietness in my 21C!
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #527

Thumbs up Fujitsu on 21C

That's great to hear from you too, Jake

I'm looking at an essentially identical install on the 5.0 (rear bumper / rear dinette overhead), just going with the 12RL2 instead of 9RL2 as suggested by Dave in recognition of the 5.0 interior volume and my Texas location (fortunately both 9 and 12RL2 are identical in physical dimensions so all that applied to your 21C should match-up for me).

I may do a slightly different 'take' on the rear bumper, but that'll only be an aesthetic difference, nothing that alters the 'proven' elements of the install on your 21C
Old 11-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #528

Good luck to the 12RL2 custom install in your 5.0!
Old 11-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #529

Quote:
While the Houghton unit does seem to offer some benefits over the ETI rooftop offerings, I'm still inclined to follow-through with the Fujitsu 12k BTU unit for my future 5.0 (with elimination of the roof opening and pre-accommodation of the rear OH cabinet cutout by ETI per our previous PM discussions).
Seriously considered doing the split option, which I think is excellent and has definite advantages over all available rooftop units. I could perhaps even say that it is the "ideal" option. My only hesitation, aside from figuring out the mounting and the installation complexity, was losing the cabinet storage space over the bed, since that is super convenient.

In our case, we also already have a hole in the roof for the vent and the new AC unit drops right into that. So, we aren't adding additional holes. The pre-wiring is also there. If we were ordering new again with the idea of going with a split unit, we wouldn't have the roof vent so that is a completely different situation.

Maybe ETI will one day offer the split as an option.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #530

Quote:
In our case, we also already have a hole in the roof for the vent and the new AC unit drops right into that. So, we aren't adding additional holes. The pre-wiring is also there. If we were ordering new again with the idea of going with a split unit, we wouldn't have the roof vent so that is a completely different situation.
Rick: Completely understand and respect your decision to go with the Houghton rooftop. Excited that you found a way to easily procure this unit and will be watching to see how this works out for you. This could possibly be the best “bolt-on” solution for the majority of owners and it should have a very acceptable noise level on low. One clarification though - are you implying above that you can order an Escape without the rear roof opening? I thought it was always included as either A/C, a passive vent or a second MaxxFan.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #531

Quote:
One clarification though - are you implying above that you can order an Escape without the rear roof opening? I thought it was always included as either A/C, a passive vent or a second MaxxFan.
You may be right about that. Possibly I had a wrong assumption that we could order without the rear opening. I never checked with ETI.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #532

Quote:
You may be right about that. Possibly I had a wrong assumption that we could order without the rear opening. I never checked with ETI.
FYI per my build-discussions with ETI...
  • If an optional AC is not ordered, you get a non-powered 'basic' vent as standard
  • If an optional AC is not ordered, you can request a powered MaxxFan to match the standard one you get in the front vent, for an extra charge
  • Obviously, order an AC you get an AC
  • You can request no AC and no roof cutout, which ETI will deliver for no extra charge
So, most any variation you could want, though ETI did not seem inclined to install a MaxxFan of a model different to the one they stock for standard front vents on all trailers (but I did not pursue this possibility in detail, perhaps they would if the customer had a different model fan delivered to ETI timely for installation).

In my case, planning for the mini-split and wanting a 'clean roof' for future PV array flexibility, ETI has no problem with the 'no roof cutout' request at all and that is now in the 'agreed and committed' column on my evolving build sheet.

Shifting to the inside cabinet ... my request for a special-width cutout in the rear OH cabinet (to fit the Fujitsu indoor unit), with the height as they normally provide and the door as they normally provide delivered loose/uninstalled**, is at this moment still in the "Pending Approval" status on my build sheet (it's in ETI's hands for evaluation though I believe they did make that accommodation in the past for Jake). It'll be very helpful if they do finally approve that accommodation, but if for whatever reason they decline I'll work through it, no worries.

**the only reason I'd like the normal-size door and hardware delivered loose / uninstalled is for 'materials salvage' which I might use for other mods.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #533

Quote:
... I believe they did make that accommodation in the past for Jake.
Yes they did. Here it is straight from the horse's mouth aka build sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture_Trailer rear cabinet door custom change.jpg  
Old 11-26-2020, 12:52 PM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
Yes they did. Here it is straight from the horse's mouth aka build sheet.
Thanks again, Jake - I'm optimistic that my request will be approved, too, looks like from initials we're dealing with a different salesperson but hopefully they'll figure it out, obviously I've got plenty of time before my build actually occurs (see signature below).

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #535

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
JC I believe is Joldie Combs, an Escape sales representative.....
Old 11-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #536

Yep, I'm working with Linda Fedoruk.

EDIT - and very pleased with her continued patience and help
Old 11-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #537

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have worked with both over my Escape experiences........
Old 11-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #538

Just received an email from ETI / Linda confirming that the custom cutout in the rear OH cabinet is a GO

Old 11-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #539

Quote:
Just received an email from ETI / Linda confirming that the custom cutout in the rear OH cabinet is a GO

That’s huge for the install of the Fujitsu! Glad to hear.
32-1/2” wide? That will leave you with just under an 1/8” on each side of the unit. Sure you could flex the plastic sides a smidge and squeeze it in if you went 32-1/4”.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #540

Quote:
That’s huge for the install of the Fujitsu! Glad to hear.
32-1/2” wide? That will leave you with just under an 1/8” on each side of the unit. Sure you could flex the plastic sides a smidge and squeeze it in if you went 32-1/4”.
Actually 32-1/4" was my spec per your most welcome suggestion, I'd rather have a tad bit of 'trim to fit' than a too-large opening gap to hide.

Here's the build sheet entry I'd been waiting for (along with the previously approved rear-vent delete) :
Attached Thumbnails
Build Sheet Detail.png   Build Sheet Detail 2.png