Lagun Table Mount Install - Thoughts - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
Lagun Table Mount Install - Thoughts

This month I installed a Lagun table mount in our new (Nov 17) Escape 21 with the U-shaped dinette. I’m a retired structural engineer so I looked at this install primarily with stability and strength in mind. There are certainly many ways to successfully install the table support. Here are some thoughts and a description of how I went about it:

The original construction is basically just a wood frame covered with very thin plywood. It’s conservative to assume the plywood has no real strength and to design the install such that all load from the table (vertical weight and resultant moment, think lever arm) transfers directly to the wood frame structure, which is well designed in the U dinette benches.

I first filled the space within the wood frame with 3/4in plywood then installed a wood plate over this plywood attached directly to the framing. In my case, I used some 3/8” oak I had left over from another project.

Then I installed two steel brackets between the new vertical “wall” of this back bench and the floor of the trailer. I used these:

https://www.wwhardware.com/a-m-hardw...am-black-16252

They are 8in x 12in shelf support brackets made of 1/8in steel by these folks:

High Quality Support Brackets for Countertops, Islands, Workstations, Shelves & Vanities | A&M Hardware

They are much stronger than necessary but, more importantly, they are very stiff. Cheap too, less than $20/pair plus shipping.

I attached these brackets using 1/4in threaded inserts and 1/4in bolts. By far the weakest part of the bracket install is the threaded insert/plywood connection in the trailer floor. A better solution would be to use through bolts but that’s overkill.

The good news is that the 3rd part of the install takes much of the load away from these brackets. I, like others have suggested, installed a 3/4in x 1/8in by 48in long steel angle along the top edge of the back bench “wall” of the U-shaped dinette. If you look at how the structure is built, you can see that now the load is transferred to the rest of the framing in the benches. I see this brace as very important in the Lagun table install as it greatly reduces movement of the Lagun mount and reduces the chance of pulling out any of the screws or bolts used in the brackets.

I installed a temporary table that is about 34.5in x 21in to try out. The length allows the table top to be used as the bed support. We shall see if this table suits us next month on our first real outing – Quartzite, AZ. I am posting a few photos that should help explain my install.

I hope this helps,
Bill
Old 01-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #2

Here are photos of my install:

Click image for larger version

Name:	supports.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	29333

Name:	left.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	29334

Name:	plate.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	29335

Name:	completed.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	29336
Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Beautiful work, and a nice tabletop as well.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Looks great, Bill. Looking forward to seeing your work on this up close at Quartzsite.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Nice solid install Bill!
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Looks good. Is there much 'bounce' on the full sized table. That is my biggest concern, though the sloping of my table with the Springfield is not ideal either. I look forward to checking it out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Really nice work Bill!

My Lagun arrives today. I ordered a pair of brackets from Woodworkers Hardware last night. I had already ordered 3/8" threaded inserts so I will need to drill out the brackets.

I like the 3/8" plywood overlay to tie everything in. How did you attach the overlay? I see screws. Did it overlap the framing at the top? Glue? I was thinking of some construction adhesive.

I see also the lever on the vertical support is on the left away from the power center. Did you have to modify anything to do that?

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #8

Jim – when the table is locked down, I get about 1/4in flex on the perimeter when I push down with maybe 20lbs or so. Virtually all of this flex is in the Lagun aluminum legs and pivot points, some in my plywood table top, and fortunately not in the base plate support. The table has much less movement than the original table in our 2012 19.

Skiman – I used 3/4in no. 12 self-taping screws, square drive like the rest of the trailer. Adhesive would work but I like to be able to take things apart if I see a future upgrade. The screws are just holding the wood in place and not taking much load. Yes, my wood overlay covers the top wood framework of the rear bench. I had to temporarily move some of the wiring out of the way during the install (be sure to turn off power!). My solar controller is now installed on the 3/8in oak surface.

I did reverse the lower Lagun lever to save my knuckles when tightening. It’s a carriage bolt so 30sec with a Dremel tool modified the round hole in the aluminum.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19'
Lagun without u-shaped dinette

Very nice Bill, we are enjoying seeing everyones installs with the Lagun table.

We are working on a plan to install a Lagun table mount without having the factory installed u shaped dinette. Our thoughts are that making a custom u shaped without enclosing the bench area would give us a place to put our dogs dishes safely out of walking area and give her a place for her bed under the table. So our framing support for the new bench and Lagun mount would need to be esthetically pleasing as well as strong since it will be open. We are thinking some sort of center post to both support the table mount and the new bench above along with two steel angle connecting the two side benches for the front and back of the new bench. This would keep the floor under the bench clear for dog dishes except for the center post space. The new bench would also need to be removable (not the frame work but certainly the surface) so that we could access our fuse panel which is near the back end of the side bench.
If anyone else has ideas or has done such an install please chime in.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #10

I have not seen the bench structure in the new 19s without the U dinette so I can't be much help. I would first investigate if using bolts installed thru the floor and connecting to the trailer frame underneath is possible. If connecting to the frame is out, then consider using a metal plate underneath to bolt thru spreading the load across a larger area of the fiberglass shell than would be possible with fender washers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post

.... We are thinking some sort of center post to both support the table mount and the new bench above along with two steel angle connecting the two side benches for the front and back of the new bench. ....
Old 01-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdr2 View Post
I have not seen the bench structure in the new 19s without the U dinette so I can't be much help. I would first investigate if using bolts installed thru the floor and connecting to the trailer frame underneath is possible. If connecting to the frame is out, then consider using a metal plate underneath to bolt thru spreading the load across a larger area of the fiberglass shell than would be possible with fender washers.
I don't think the plate would be necessary, but could not hurt. With the near 1/8" fibreglass, a layer of bedding epoxy, then the floor plywood, using fender washers should be good, if there are a bunch of them.

For some reason there seems to be a reluctance to bolt through the floor of the trailer. Done properly it is potentially much stronger than screws of any type, and there is no issue with moisture ingress, especially if you coat the exposed heads with a good caulking. I would not hesitate to do this if I though it would help. Heck I did just that to mount the tire winch that hold my spare underneath, though I did also drill through a cross member of 2" angle iron.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Here are some pictures it took of the display 19 in the showroom.
The passenger side has no support whatsoever. The drivers side you may be able to pick up some cross support from the plywood covering the black water tank. The underside of the trailer in that area is empty of tanks.
I am sure I have mentioned this before but if you are thinking not using the stock table...just get the parts and don’t have them install it. You can see in the last picture the stock screws coming through the bottom of the trailer...then gooped.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
49F950C5-FE2A-4EFA-942B-926BCBDAF666.jpg   9E8A249B-FE13-435A-937D-40844D3D4358.jpg   9B015F12-0FA3-4F34-9403-67225F81EB38.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #13

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Lagun Table Mount with Inverter

Hi All,

I posted before in a separate thread on this topic asking whether anyone had done a Lagun install with the ETI installed inverter behind the dinette rear panel. I have not seen a reply so perhaps I am the first.

The problem with the inverter is that it is mounted on the floor behind the panel where everyone else has been able to mount a metal angle bracket. I suppose one could move or raise the inverter, but not being very knowledgeable about electrical matters I chose to leave it it place and construct bracing around it.

I used a 3/4" plywood backing panel similar to what Bill did and used screws, 1" x 2" pine, and the through-bolts of the bracket panel to hold it in place. Then I braced across from the structural members at the back of the box (which the rear dinette seat top is mounted to) to reinforce the plywood panel. Also doubled the 1" x 2" top member that the front panel is mounted to instead of the angle iron others have used, though I may yet at that.

Seems pretty stable; definitely much better than the original. Haven't traveled with or used it yet, but hope to do so in the next couple of weeks.
Hopefully the pics below will help illustrate.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Table Bracing -- Panel Backing.jpg   Table Bracing Close Up.jpg   Table Bracing Top View.jpg   Table Mount.jpg  
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Here's the final pic of the table in place. I used the original stock table.
Attached Thumbnails
Table Top.jpg  
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 17a - now sold
Looks great! Quilts and table install....
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by a602pmcc View Post
Here's the final pic of the table in place. I used the original stock table.
So sorry Paul, I should have chimed in. I turned the inverter 90 degrees and mounted it on a modified back brace parallel with the back wall.

Anyway.... I like your modification that solved the mounting issue. I love my setup, you will too. Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #17

Nice job Paul working around the inverter.

We just returned from a 12 day trip to the Quartzite Rally and Joshua Tree National Park. The Lagun table system was a great addition to our trailer. We used a temporary table about 34.5" x 21" which turned out to be about perfect. The table rotates about two pivot points so positioning the table is just so easy. Also, we found we could convert the table to a bed or lounge area in maybe 5 min. And - nothing on the floor to mess with your feet! We are quite happy.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
This month I installed a Lagun table mount
Bill, nice install and appreciate you sharing. Looking forward to installing my Lagun table mount.

You stated you used 1/4" threaded inserts and bolts, what length inserts/bolts did you use?

Nice looking interior!
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #19

I used these:
https://www.ezlok.com/ezknife-insert-400-4

1/2in long, brass, 1/4-20 thread. I actually tested these for pullout in some construction plywood against the E-Z Hex style and found these to be considerably more secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Bill, nice install and appreciate you sharing. Looking forward to installing my Lagun table mount.

You stated you used 1/4" threaded inserts and bolts, what length inserts/bolts did you use?

Nice looking interior!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
I used these:
https://www.ezlok.com/ezknife-insert-400-4

1/2in long, brass, 1/4-20 thread. I actually tested these for pullout in some construction plywood against the E-Z Hex style and found these to be considerably more secure.
Thank you Bill!
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote