Lithium batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Deland, Florida
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Posts: 167
Lithium batteries

I came across this video and thought I'd share in the event someone is considering switching to lithium ion batteries.

__________________

Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,340
I can't stand listening to some guy chattering for 18 minutes because he couldn't be bothered writing the material so it can be posted as text. If there is something to show that's different, but this one doesn't even show the module in any detail, so the video might as well be just audio.

So whatever the guy is on about, a Tesla battery module (the Model S/X shown, or the newer Model 3) is inappropriate for any other use, unless you are willing to provide the battery management system and circulating liquid coolant for which it is designed, and to put it in a proper housing. It is also wired wrong for RV use, since the Model S/X has six groups of cells in series, giving a working voltage almost twice as high as desired for a 12-volt systems; the Model 3 modules are 23 and 25 cells in series (two different sizes) so they're wildly inappropriate for a 12-volt system. Who knows... maybe that's what he explained.

There are other automotive lithium battery modules which would be useful... although again with a BMS and proper housing. The early Nissan Leaf is probably the most practical (with any multiple of two modules to suit desired capacity, 66 amp-hours per pair of modules).
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Deland, Florida
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I can't stand listening to some guy chattering for 18 minutes because he couldn't be bothered writing the material so it can be posted as text. If there is something to show that's different, but this one doesn't even show the module in any detail, so the video might as well be just audio.

So whatever the guy is on about, a Tesla battery module (the Model S/X shown, or the newer Model 3) is inappropriate for any other use, unless you are willing to provide the battery management system and circulating liquid coolant for which it is designed, and to put it in a proper housing. It is also wired wrong for RV use, since the Model S/X has six groups of cells in series, giving a working voltage almost twice as high as desired for a 12-volt systems; the Model 3 modules are 23 and 25 cells in series (two different sizes) so they're wildly inappropriate for a 12-volt system. Who knows... maybe that's what he explained.

There are other automotive lithium battery modules which would be useful... although again with a BMS and proper housing. The early Nissan Leaf is probably the most practical (with any multiple of two modules to suit desired capacity, 66 amp-hours per pair of modules).

I guess you shouldn't watch the video. I subsequent videos, he explains the installation very clearly. If his solution doesn't hold your interest, don't wstch it.



I can't stand reading posts that flame other posts because they don't mstch your opinion.
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I can't stand listening to some guy chattering for 18 minutes because he couldn't be bothered writing the material so it can be posted as text. If there is something to show that's different, but this one doesn't even show the module in any detail, so the video might as well be just audio.
Unfortunately quite common for youtube videos. Too bad there's no quality control for the videos posted.

I'll take your word for the content, I can't stand non-video videos.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,021
I often ( I lie ), sometimes I click on a video link, and then I find it's 18 or 26 minutes long. That's as far as I get. A video is useful to me if it clearly demonstrates how to do something and shows how without waving the iPhone around and without being mostly a view of the narrator's hands, about two and a half minutes tops.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,710
This is quite a doable mod and the Morton’s on the Move have had it in place for a good bit and detail how they did it.

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/can-y...-tesla-battery

My buddy has purchased all the components using the videos above as a guide and is installing it in his new fifth wheel coach with 1200 watts of solar on the roof for their FT setup. A number of installations have been completed to date with the Tesla module, so it is a workable path for those who like to do this sort of project and want to save some $$.
This is probably much more suited to larger RV’s than an Escape, as smaller lithium plug n play solutions would be more suited for our trailers. Someone here posted a very nice AM solar lithium setup recently, that was a good solution for our trailers. I’m hoping the lithium prices are lower in 2 years when we need to mod it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 2,954
Ron: Just wondering...why do you many times remove a bracket on the “end quote” which causes what you are quoting to not format properly?
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Ron: Just wondering...why do you many times remove a bracket on the “end quote” which causes what you are quoting to not format properly?

Yup. How come?
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
I came across this video and thought I'd share in the event someone is considering switching to lithium ion batteries.
Interesting information/video and I'm always interested in the Lithium Battery topic and had no problem watching the video as it explained how they installed a simple BMS and why the cooling tubes are not needed for their setup.

If I were to make the switch from my current AGM to Lithium batteries. At this time I would go with Battle Born as it has built in Battery Management System and basically a direct replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battle Born.JPG (50.5 KB, 29 views)
__________________
2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax / 2018 5.0TA

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #10
Member
 
marsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Trailer: Ordered 2019 5.0 TA
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Interesting information/video and I'm always interested in the Lithium Battery topic and had no problem watching the video as it explained how they installed a simple BMS and why the cooling tubes are not needed for their setup.

If I were to make the switch from my current AGM to Lithium batteries. At this time I would go with Battle Born as it has built in Battery Management System and basically a direct replacement.
Are the 6v batteries you buy off of Escape adequate for boondocking assuming you'll use mostly lights, maybe some TV at night, charge cells and tablet and maybe a coffeemaker in the morning? When is it appropriate to switch to Lithium, maybe when the 6v batteries are at the end of their life? BTW how long on average do these 6v batteries last?
__________________

marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.