Retro Fit Pole - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Retro Fit Pole

2015 Classic 19.
Reace sent me a pole assy under warranty like the 2G 19's now have to solidify the roof over the kitchen cabinets at the door entrance.
The Classic 19 has to have a bit of customization to allow the pole to be installed unlike the 2G models. So I've been building this out over steps.
First step was to create an under-cabinet support out of 2X1 Red Oak which was also needed for the Kamenstein paper towel holder.
Then cut the trim to fit in the top pole mount.
Cut a 1/2" piece of dowel to fit in the bottom pole mount so over time the pole wouldn't chew up my formica in case the pole was ever removed.
Cut the pole and added 1/16" over the measurement to allow a bit of lift and pressure on the cabinets as the pole was set.
Measurement turned out perfectly as I had to pop the pole into position with some light tapping.
Leveled it all up and sank the screws in the mount. Still need just a touch of caulk at the top trim area and we're good to go.
You could flex the upper cabinets prior to the installation as was a good bit of movement. Solid now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5940.jpg   IMG_5942.jpg   IMG_5944.jpg  
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
2015 Classic 19.
Reace sent me a pole assy under warranty like the 2G 19's now have to solidify the roof over the kitchen cabinets at the door entrance.
The Classic 19 has to have a bit of customization to allow the pole to be installed unlike the 2G models. So I've been building this out over steps.
First step was to create an under-cabinet support out of 2X1 Red Oak which was also needed for the Kamenstein paper towel holder.
Cut a 1/2" piece of dowel to fit in the bottom pole mount so over time the pole wouldn't chew up my formica in case the pole was ever removed.
Cut the pole and added 1/16" over the measurement to allow a bit of lift and pressure on the cabinets as the pole was set.
Measurement turned out perfectly as I had to pop the pole into position with some light tapping.
Leveled it all up and sank the screws in the mount. Still need just a touch of caulk at the top trim area and we're good to go.
You could flex the upper cabinets prior to the installation as was a good bit of movement. Solid now.
Hi Greg very nice work ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #3

Thanks, Pat. You've been there on this retro-fit as well.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
2015 Classic 19.
Excellent execution! I've been thinking about adding the pole to our 2013 classic 19' but hadn't gotten as far as figuring out a solution to the alignment problem. Well Done!

Arnie
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #5

Thank you, Arnie. I'd highly recommend this, it's a worthwhile mod to do. If you decide to do it, I'd be would be more than willing to answer any questions you would have.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm confused, I thought my 2014 E21 came with factory pole, was it only in the 21's before the 2G models that had it in the 19's?
Old 08-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks, Pat. You've been there on this retro-fit as well.
Greg Pat
Old 08-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #8

The 1G 21's had the pole, Jim but not the 1G 19's
Old 08-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm confused, I thought my 2014 E21 came with factory pole, was it only in the 21's before the 2G models that had it in the 19's?
I believe so Jim . I added it to our 19 because I didn't care for the movement at that cabinet if I grabbed it . Too long unsupported span in my opinion. Pat
Old 08-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #10

Trailer: none
Why is the pole a good idea on this particular cabinet? Is it because of the proximity of the entry door?
Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Greg, when you say Reace sent you a pole assembly "under warranty", does that mean he will send it to other classic 19 owners? I've never noticed any issues with that upper cabinet, but perhaps some reinforcement would be prudent.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Greg,
very nice work. Would you share the cost of the pole plus shipping. Thanks.

TonnyLR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #13

No Robert, I doubt he would unless it became a recall issue and it's not widespread that I've heard of. All the trailers that are affected are out of warranty now anyway. I actually had gel coat stress spider cracking directly over this point on the roof within 9 months of pickup.
When I saw he added the pole to the 2G 19 it was an Ah Ha moment that they were advised somewhere to add in that support. Several of the members with Engineering and stress backgrounds had pm'd me that they felt it was too long an unsupported run on that cabinet span. There is a good bit of movement you can see when you grab the cabinet on that end and flex it.
I asked for the pole and a quart of matching gel coat for the repair and Reace was gracious enough to agree. I know, Pat just asked if they sell the pole assy and he bought his to do the reinforcement.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Greg,
very nice work. Would you share the cost of the pole plus shipping. Thanks.

TonnyLR
Thank you, Tonny.
Mine was supplied under warranty claim, but Pat might chime in here with the cost ETI charges for the pole as I remember he bought one from ETI
Old 08-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Probably a good idea to purchase one and install similarly to the way the op posted. It should prevent future stress cracks as well as keeping those present from growing. In addition I find it handy for exit and entrance the trailer, well worth a little $$.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #16
Site Team

Thanks Tonny and Greg, but I'm still a little dense. What warranty claim? Was there damage or cracking due to some sag?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Thanks Tonny and Greg, but I'm still a little dense. What warranty claim? Was there damage or cracking due to some sag?
Yes, I had stress cracks appear in the gel-coat right above the cabinets on the roof very soon after pickup, directly above where the pole is now. While Reace wouldn't say one way or another, he agreed to repair in Chilliwack or he did agree to provide the pole and some ETI gel coat which is all I was asking for. I was happy with the resolution and love the new pole...
Old 08-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Why is the pole a good idea on this particular cabinet? Is it because of the proximity of the entry door?
Too long unsupported span unlike the other side of trailer , bath is there and the other side cabinets all connect . Pat
Old 08-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Too long unsupported span unlike the other side of trailer , bath is there and the other side cabinets all connect . Pat
Cost after the exchange was about 60 American . Pat
Old 08-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, I had stress cracks appear in the gel-coat right above the cabinets on the roof very soon after pickup, directly above where the pole is now. While Reace wouldn't say one way or another, he agreed to repair in Chilliwack or he did agree to provide the pole and some ETI gel coat which is all I was asking for. I was happy with the resolution and love the new pole...
Ah! That explains it. Thanks for the info Greg.

Ours still looks new with no cracks anywhere. But, might not be a bad idea to add the pole anyway.