Retro Fit Pole - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Interesting discussion. I just checked for flex on my 2013 19' and it is really solid in my case. No flex to speak of when I push up on the cabinet. I also added a second solar panel earlier this summer and tied the cables into the existing port right above this area. Prior to doing that work, I did a two step wax on the entire roof. (oxide removal, wax application.) I'm sure I would have noticed stress cracking in the gel coat during that effort. Perhaps I was lucky enough to have thicker fiberglass applied the particular day they made my trailer. Who knows.

My main interest is that my wife likes the pole on the G2 versions to assist getting in and out. Something to grab onto. Regardless, $60 is a cheap investment for a preventive measure.

Thanks Greg for the "how to" and Pat for your experience. Love this forum!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Cost after the exchange was about 60 American . Pat
That's not a bad price, no doubt some businesses would have charged more.

The parts are basic marine store items. The pole can be done using either 7/8" or 1" o.d. s/s tube. Railing bases in either size are available in chromed zinc, for a budget version or s/s. The cheap version would work out to be about half price and the full s/s version about $10 cheaper, depending where you shop. Then there's the saving on shipping if you live in an area that has marine stores.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:09 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That's not a bad price, no doubt some businesses would have charged more.

The parts are basic marine store items. The pole can be done using either 7/8" or 1" o.d. s/s tube. Railing bases in either size are available in chromed zinc, for a budget version or s/s. The cheap version would work out to be about half price and the full s/s version about $10 cheaper, depending where you shop. Then there's the saving on shipping if you live in an area that has marine stores.

Ron
Hi Ron that included the shipping too . I can't remember but the pole may have been 1 in in stainless . Our cabinet is solid now which was the end goal . But good to know cheaper alternatives. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Hi Ron that included the shipping too . I can't remember but the pole may have been 1 in in stainless . Our cabinet is solid now which was the end goal . But good to know cheaper alternatives. Pat
Checked the pole is 1 in and the shipping charge was 20 of the 60 . Pat
Old 08-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
2015 Classic 19.
Reace sent me a pole assy under warranty like the 2G 19's now have to solidify the roof over the kitchen cabinets at the door entrance.
Your installation looks like a quality job, but I am wondering why it was required? Did you experience problems with movements of the fiberglass shell near the doorway, or something else? (my classic 19' - 2013 does not seem to have any movement or flex in that area).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Your installation looks like a quality job, but I am wondering why it was required? Did you experience problems with movements of the fiberglass shell near the doorway, or something else? (my classic 19' - 2013 does not seem to have any movement or flex in that area).
I had a similar question. Answered in post #17.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I had a similar question. Answered in post #17.
thanks Bryan. For some reason I had missed that.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I checked my classic 19's roof gelcoat too. No sign of any spider cracks. Decided anyway this was good preventative maintenance. Didn't know you could buy the parts from Reace but why would I do that anyway, if I have left over tubes from my trashed old Costco canopy? Inch and a half diameter. Scrap walnut for the brackets. Feelin' good.
Attached Thumbnails
pole1.jpg  
Old 08-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
When we picked up our 21, Reace said how the pole was for structural support. As someone else said, it is a great assist for entering and exiting the trailer. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #30

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Greg, I'm glad that you hopefully got your cracking situation resolved and that it won't continue cracking. From time to time I would wonder about your trailer. Thrilled to hear you got the pole installed. I know Pat was glad to get it installed in her trailer. That pole should take away some of the cracking worries.

I use the pole a lot to help me get in and out of the trailer when I'm at a rest stop and don't deploy the noisy step.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I checked my classic 19's roof gelcoat too. No sign of any spider cracks. Decided anyway this was good preventative maintenance. Didn't know you could buy the parts from Reace but why would I do that anyway, if I have left over tubes from my trashed old Costco canopy? Inch and a half diameter. Scrap walnut for the brackets. Feelin' good.
Nice job Myron. I see you also made a support block for the towel holder as well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Right back at ya Greg. Was going to buy metal closet poles but then saw my saved canopy poles. Would like having that nice brushed nickel look but, still got that mousetrap in my wallet.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #33
Site Team

Just as clarification, for those with the Classic 19 who might be considering adding a pole - Reace tells me there are specific reasons for adding it in the 2nd generation models, and reasons why it was not necessary in the Classic:

"There are a few reasons why we added the pole in the new models. The new design does not have the molded door jamb that your trailer has which provided all the strength necessary for the roof and cabinets. We also needed more structural support for the power awning. In order to make room for the pole, we to shifted the sink over toward the stove to make room for it so the upper bracket can attach to the cabinet, not the end cap. The only place it will fit in your trailer is to the bottom of the endcap where the bracket does not fit properly. I have sent out a few kits, however my understanding was customers are wanting to use it for a grab bar, not hold the roof up."

Greg's issue was unique. For whatever reason that section of the shell on his Classic 19 was not as strong as others, so the support pole was in order to make it more rigid. For most other Classic 19 owners the pole will not be necessary, as there is no cracking and the area is solid. If you do add the pole, Greg's installation instructions are the place to start.

I may still add the pole, but only as an additional grab, or because we like the look.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I may still add the pole, but only as an additional grab, or because we like the look.
Or for dancing on.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or for dancing on.
Or with, or around .
Iowa Dave
Old 08-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We just got back from our first trip with the newly installed pole. I will add the most important item to the list of why you might want the pole. The wife really likes it! Happy wife - Happy life.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Just as clarification, for those with the Classic 19 who might be considering adding a pole - Reace tells me there are specific reasons for adding it in the 2nd generation models, and reasons why it was not necessary in the Classic:

"There are a few reasons why we added the pole in the new models. The new design does not have the molded door jamb that your trailer has which provided all the strength necessary for the roof and cabinets. We also needed more structural support for the power awning. In order to make room for the pole, we to shifted the sink over toward the stove to make room for it so the upper bracket can attach to the cabinet, not the end cap. The only place it will fit in your trailer is to the bottom of the endcap where the bracket does not fit properly. I have sent out a few kits, however my understanding was customers are wanting to use it for a grab bar, not hold the roof up."

Greg's issue was unique. For whatever reason that section of the shell on his Classic 19 was not as strong as others, so the support pole was in order to make it more rigid. For most other Classic 19 owners the pole will not be necessary, as there is no cracking and the area is solid. If you do add the pole, Greg's installation instructions are the place to start.

For our 19 the pole is necessary. Doing work on trailer roof found many thin area's with the fiberglass . That was worrisome .When Greg's 19 starting cracking , checked the cabinet under that area and found by grabbing the bottom , the cabinet could move . All other cabinets in trailer were solid . But the cabinet over the sink moved and wasn't solid . Started checking out the span and found too long . Going down the road that cabinet would be moving ,if I can grab a hold and move it It's moving . I called Escape and asked for their pole set.
Easy for me to install and we feel looks great . Most important cabinet is now solid and doesn't move . We never use pole for a grab bar getting in or out of trailer . We have a second handle in doorway for that . For our trailer we consider the pole part of the structure support .
Can't answer for anyone else's trailer whether they want it , need it . But we needed it and glad I did the mod for our trailer . Pat
Old 08-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or for dancing on.
Now that'd be a sight. Where's the brain bleach?
Old 08-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Now that'd be a sight. Where's the brain bleach?
Not sure where your mind went. I was thinking you might talk Yolanda into doing for you. [emoji849][emoji6]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #40

Quote:
For our 19 the pole is necessary. Doing work on trailer roof found many thin area's with the fiberglass . That was worrisome .When Greg's 19 starting cracking , checked the cabinet under that area and found by grabbing the bottom , the cabinet could move . All other cabinets in trailer were solid . But the cabinet over the sink moved and wasn't solid . Started checking out the span and found too long . Going down the road that cabinet would be moving ,if I can grab a hold and move it It's moving . I called Escape and asked for their pole set.
Easy for me to install and we feel looks great . Most important cabinet is now solid and doesn't move . We never use pole for a grab bar getting in or out of trailer . We have a second handle in doorway for that . For our trailer we consider the pole part of the structure support .
Can't answer for anyone else's trailer whether they want it , need it . But we needed it and glad I did the mod for our trailer . Pat
a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0447.jpg   IMG_0448.jpg