Sitting in Bed of a 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2017, 12:36 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
driessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pearland, Texas
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 26
Sitting in Bed of a 5.0 TA

Has anyone done any modifications to the "headboard" area of the bed in a 5.0 TA to make it more comfortable to sit in bed to watch TV, read, or do needlework? Photos would be great!
__________________

__________________
Jim/Sharon Driesch
Pearland, Texas
2016 Escape 5.0 TA
"Bring us that horizon!"
driessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Charlie & Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sunapee, New Hampshire
Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by driessa View Post
Has anyone done any modifications to the "headboard" area of the bed in a 5.0 TA to make it more comfortable to sit in bed to watch TV, read, or do needlework? Photos would be great!
I made 24" square pillows that are firmer than sleeping pillows and lay them in the little area behind the head and then put our sleeping pillows against them. We also chose to get a 6"memory foam mattress from Amazon instead of the one ETI supplies, so we have 2" more head room. And we sleep pretty darn comfortable, and watch tv or read in bed. Will try to find a picture and post.
Lucy
__________________

__________________
Charlie & Lucy
--
"I can't complain... but sometimes I still do."
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by driessa View Post
Has anyone done any modifications to the "headboard" area of the bed in a 5.0 TA to make it more comfortable to sit in bed to watch TV, read, or do needlework? Photos would be great!
This is something I am pondering too, but have not given it lots of though due to lots of other stuff that is more of a priority. I think I will want to use the trailer some first to see just how and when we would use this. We are set up for TV in the dinette too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
I made 24" square pillows that are firmer than sleeping pillows and lay them in the little area behind the head and then put our sleeping pillows against them. We also chose to get a 6"memory foam mattress from Amazon instead of the one ETI supplies, so we have 2" more head room. And we sleep pretty darn comfortable, and watch tv or read in bed. Will try to find a picture and post.
Lucy
I have had a thought with using pillows too, Lucy. How do you store them when sleeping though. My first thought was to get a matres like we had in our 19, it was oh so comfy, but as it was only a $150 savings to eliminate the stock one, we thought we would give that a go for a bit.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Charlie & Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sunapee, New Hampshire
Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Posts: 335
This is the mattress we bought.
https://www.amazon.com/Signature-Sle...oam+queen+size
It is cheaper than when we bought it. At the time it came rolled up and inserted in a canvas like duffle shaped bag which we brought with us to pick up. ETI gave us $150 credit for their mattress. We sleep on our Tempurpedic mattress at home and have spent 9 and 8 weeks on our 5.0 TA memory foam mattress. Very nice sleeping for us. No need for a thicker mattress. The big pillows go to the side of the bed when we go to sleep. Or you can put them on the dinette. We also use them on the dinette to lounge. YMMV
We also have a set up in the dinette for the tv, but find that we use the set up from the bed to watch while lounging in the dinette. We unlatch the tv and slide it under the pillows when we travel and put it up when we set up at a new spot. We have a 22" tv with a built in DVD player and a bluetooth speaker for tv sound (With an adapter on the tv to receive the sound and send to the bluetooth speaker. (Charlie can explain it better.)
Lucy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9848.jpg (154.9 KB, 69 views)
__________________
Charlie & Lucy
--
"I can't complain... but sometimes I still do."
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
This is the mattress we bought.
https://www.amazon.com/Signature-Sle...oam+queen+size
It is cheaper than when we bought it. At the time it came rolled up and inserted in a canvas like duffle shaped bag which we brought with us to pick up. ETI gave us $150 credit for their mattress. We sleep on our Tempurpedic mattress at home and have spent 9 and 8 weeks on our 5.0 TA memory foam mattress. Very nice sleeping for us. No need for a thicker mattress. The big pillows go to the side of the bed when we go to sleep. Or you can put them on the dinette. We also use them on the dinette to lounge. YMMV
We also have a set up in the dinette for the tv, but find that we use the set up from the bed to watch while lounging in the dinette. We unlatch the tv and slide it under the pillows when we travel and put it up when we set up at a new spot. We have a 22" tv with a built in DVD player and a bluetooth speaker for tv sound (With an adapter on the tv to receive the sound and send to the bluetooth speaker. (Charlie can explain it better.)
Lucy
As soon as I saw your photo, my thought was one you just covered, in that we plan to have two large backrest type pillows for the dinette area, and they could just double for use as backrests in the bed. Seems simple.

Our last mattress was a 2 1/2" latex top on a 5" mid-firm foam base. We loved it. I don't sleep well with memory foam as I am a hot sleeper and found I sweated too much against it.

We too have a bluetooth speaker we use with the TV, as it provides a much better sound. What Charlie has likely set up is a bluetooth transmitter from the TV, which sends the sound signal to the speaker which will have a receiver built in.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Our last mattress was a 2 1/2" latex top on a 5" mid-firm foam base. We loved it. I don't sleep well with memory foam as I am a hot sleeper and found I sweated too much against it.
The highly rated Casper mattress is build like that Jim. Casper will deliver free to ETI last I checked.
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Charlie & Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sunapee, New Hampshire
Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Posts: 335
"As soon as I saw your photo, my thought was one you just covered, in that we plan to have two large backrest type pillows for the dinette area, and they could just double for use as backrests in the bed. Seems simple.

Our last mattress was a 2 1/2" latex top on a 5" mid-firm foam base. We loved it. I don't sleep well with memory foam as I am a hot sleeper and found I sweated too much against it.

We too have a bluetooth speaker we use with the TV, as it provides a much better sound. What Charlie has likely set up is a bluetooth transmitter from the TV, which sends the sound signal to the speaker which will have a receiver built in."

yes.. Exactly Jim - what Charlie did. a transmitter, he will put up the door above his head and put the speaker up there. Great acoustics! As for sleeping hot. we put a zip protective cover over the whole mattress to protect it from moisture, and a thick mattress cover under the sheets. I'm a hot sleeper too. I don't have a problem with our mattress.
Lucy
__________________
Charlie & Lucy
--
"I can't complain... but sometimes I still do."
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
The highly rated Casper mattress is build like that Jim. Casper will deliver free to ETI last I checked.
I have looked a lot at the mail order mattress offerings, lots of good ones out there. The Casper uses memory foam on top, so a no go for me. The Leesa is one that I would be most interested in, as it uses a more breathable foam and gets great rating like the Casper too.

However, in conversation with a local foam mattress shop, I can have them build whatever I want and for an even better price, though not a lot cheaper. I was looking at doing something like top layer of 2" latex, a mid layer of 2" memory foam or maybe a mid firmness foam, and a support layer of 4" of firm foam.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I was looking at doing something like top layer of 2" latex, a mid layer of 2" memory foam or maybe a mid firmness foam, and a support layer of 4" of firm foam.
That's exactly what we did: 4" base, which is firmer than when thicker, 2" egg shell memory foam from Costco, and 2.5" latex from Amazon. Super comfy I agree for the little credit to take the stock mattress first. It was very crowded taking that modular bed up at orientation.
Edit: forgot to mention that for 21 it is easy to cut a corner with an electric carving knife.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,465
For those of you considering a Casper or Leesa mattress, I recommend you take a look at Tuft and Needle. They have slightly better reviews than the Casper or Leesa, and they are less expensive as well.

http://www.tuftandneedle.com/lp/info...1MVhoCL-bw_wcB
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Porterville, California
Trailer: 2018 21 ft
Posts: 176
I purchased a wedge backrest pillow from Bed, bath and beyond last December. It works great and is very comfortable to lean against to read or watch tv. For sleeping it could be placed in the dining area. For Me, I just set it aside.
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by driessa View Post
Has anyone done any modifications to the "headboard" area of the bed in a 5.0 TA to make it more comfortable to sit in bed to watch TV, read, or do needlework? Photos would be great!
I am not aware that anyone has actually built something. That could be a big problem to manage such that it could be in place when going down the road. And there would not be much reason to do a portable covered piece to put there because you might as well use a cushion from the dinette.

We have our 24" square pillows that we put behind us. We can leave them there when sleeping, as we have also done with a comforter. Used the comforter in cold weather and then rolled it up and put it at the head of the bed, and the pillows also. We don't need the length of the bed for sleeping so we don't have to move those items elsewhere. Can also fit the pillows to the sides for sleeping if we want.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,363
See post #16:

21 Storage at head of bed, Led awning

Did one as well; thanks again MaryF for the help
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
float5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denison, Texas
Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
See post #16:

21 Storage at head of bed, Led awning

Did one as well; thanks again MaryF for the help

Thanks for that. I probably never looked at how that was built. I see from the info that it does not touch the wall. That is what I would be concerned about, going down the road. Mary's shouldn't have any such problem. Sounds "fun" to build. I think we will manage without that but it would be very nice to have.
__________________
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
Emerson
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
driessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pearland, Texas
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 26
Thanks to all who replied..I now have a couple of ideas to run with!
__________________
Jim/Sharon Driesch
Pearland, Texas
2016 Escape 5.0 TA
"Bring us that horizon!"
driessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Ian G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Posts: 446
I don't know the exact configuration of the bed on a 5.0 but you could try to adapt the modification I made on my 19' I can tell you it is extremely comfortable to sit in.

Here is the thread on my reclining bed modification
Power Reclining Bed modification

And here is my blog post on it
Proud Canadian
__________________
Ian & Joan
2014 Escape 19' & 1974 Custom Boler "Buttercup"
Escape Key Chains at our Camping Treasures web store || www.Proud-Canadian.com blog
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 6,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by driessa View Post
Thanks to all who replied..I now have a couple of ideas to run with!
Hi: driessa... There's more to do in bed than watch TV or read!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
I don't know the exact configuration of the bed on a 5.0 but you could try to adapt the modification I made on my 19' I can tell you it is extremely comfortable to sit in.

Here is the thread on my reclining bed modification
Power Reclining Bed modification

And here is my blog post on it
Proud Canadian
No "basement" under the mattress, which lays right on the carpeted floor.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Ian G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
No "basement" under the mattress, which lays right on the carpeted floor.
Right ... that makes sense
__________________
Ian & Joan
2014 Escape 19' & 1974 Custom Boler "Buttercup"
Escape Key Chains at our Camping Treasures web store || www.Proud-Canadian.com blog
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Right ... that makes sense
No worries, all this hot weather we have been having lately overheats ones mind.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×