Any Damage From Driving on Rough Roads? - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Bobbito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 549
It just keeps on getting better. Thanks, Charlie.

Bob K
__________________

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #72
Member
 
Dave&Jane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Logan, Utah
Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Posts: 84
I thought some of the rough road concerns were a bit exaggerated, but now I'm a believer!

I have been to Chaco Canyon NHP twice before without incident (but no trailer) so I wasn't too concerned about the bad roads. Now, I have a number of items to repair after last week's trip:

- I assumed the fridge door latch would be engineered well enough to stay closed in spite of the reports by others on this list, but the door on our Dometic 4.3 fridge literally broke off, scattering fridge contents all over the floor and shattering a door shelf cover. Although damaged, the door hinge socket was still serviceable and I was able to remove the hinge bracket and re-install the door, and I used a bungee to make sure it stayed closed for the rest of the trip. Now that we are home, I will use epoxy to rebuild the damaged socket and, although it won't be pretty, I'll try gluing the shelf part. I also will add a right-angle screwdriver to my tool kit, since the hinge bracket screws were hard to get to (I had to use pliers to hold a screwdriver bit as a substitute for a proper right-angle screwdriver).

- A latch on our window rock shield fell off and was lost (I had to use pliers to operate it). I sent email to Hehr International, Description to see about a replacement.

- The hatch door on our sewer cover tube fell off and we almost lost the slinky. The hinge pin had been previously damaged so I should have anticipated this. D&W, Sanitubes / Sewer Hose Carriers / Replacement Hatch DOOR ONLY for Super-Tube and Super-Slider - DW Inc. makes it easy to order a replacement, so I assume this is a common problem.

- Gravel has gouged the foam insulation, but I will paint it so it looks better.

- I could not identify the origin of the loose screw that was on the floor (a 1" sheet metal screw with a Robertson head).

-Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lost rock shield latch.jpg (36.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg damaged insulation.jpg (91.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg broken door shelf.jpg (118.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg door bungee.jpg (101.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg damaged door hinge.jpg (44.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg lost slinky hatch.jpg (68.6 KB, 36 views)
__________________

__________________
Dave and Jane
Logan, Utah
Dave&Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,728
I broke a shelf on the fridge door by placing heavy objects there and then traveling washboard.
I found some aluminum edge/corner material at Rona that fit perfectly after cutting for length. Used epoxy. BTW, I think a replacement shelf was about $50 or more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fridge repair A.jpg (106.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Fridge repair B.jpg (99.5 KB, 24 views)
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
FMLNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sandia Park, New Mexico
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Posts: 697
That is probably one of the roughest roads you will see...and the early spring snow and rains this year probably made that road even worse than usual. We have thought about taking our 5.0 there but are leery of doing it. If only one could time it right after they do their 'occasional' grading....but it is a magnificent place and I would hate to see them pave that road and open it to more traffic than the ruins can handle.
__________________
Fran & Dave
2008 Escape 5.0
2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4x
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Posts: 1,872
Sorry to hear about your trailer damage. It really sucks to become educated about the dangers of towing on rough roads by experiencing a fridge door breaking off. Similar thing happened to me with the oven door. What I have learned is that because the ride is still quite tolerable in the tow vehicle, does not mean that everything in the trailer is not bouncing around. Slow down even more than you think is necessary, and then some. Glad that everything is fixable for you.
__________________
2013-19' & 2013-15B {avg is two 17's}, towed by 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
- I could not identify the origin of the loose screw that was on the floor (a 1" sheet metal screw with a Robertson head).
Having owned three RVs (and not yet an Escape), my comment on this would be:
Q: How do you know you have a well-built RV?
A: After a trip on a rough road, you find only one extra screw lying on the floor.


Seriously, my guess would be that it was an extra screw dropped by a worker during assembly and stuck in a corner somewhere (thus escaping the clean-up at the end of construction) until it was shaken loose on the exceptionally rough road. In other RVs, I've found extra screws, screws fallen out, screws five times as long as they should be (extra length protruding into cabinets), screws driven through a panel and entirely missing the framing they were supposed to hit... and that's just the issues with screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
What I have learned is that because the ride is still quite tolerable in the tow vehicle, does not mean that everything in the trailer is not bouncing around.
Good point - the reality of RV trailer suspension (even in an Escape) is that the trailer will ride more roughly than almost any vehicle that one might use to tow it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
I thought some of the rough road concerns were a bit exaggerated, but now I'm a believer!

I have been to Chaco Canyon NHP twice before without incident (but no trailer) so I wasn't too concerned about the bad roads. Now, I have a number of items to repair after last week's trip:

- I assumed the fridge door latch would be engineered well enough to stay closed in spite of the reports by others on this list, but the door on our Dometic 4.3 fridge literally broke off, scattering fridge contents all over the floor and shattering a door shelf cover. Although damaged, the door hinge socket was still serviceable and I was able to remove the hinge bracket and re-install the door, and I used a bungee to make sure it stayed closed for the rest of the trip. Now that we are home, I will use epoxy to rebuild the damaged socket and, although it won't be pretty, I'll try gluing the shelf part. I also will add a right-angle screwdriver to my tool kit, since the hinge bracket screws were hard to get to (I had to use pliers to hold a screwdriver bit as a substitute for a proper right-angle screwdriver).

- A latch on our window rock shield fell off and was lost (I had to use pliers to operate it). I sent email to Hehr International, Description to see about a replacement.

- The hatch door on our sewer cover tube fell off and we almost lost the slinky. The hinge pin had been previously damaged so I should have anticipated this. D&W, Sanitubes / Sewer Hose Carriers / Replacement Hatch DOOR ONLY for Super-Tube and Super-Slider - DW Inc. makes it easy to order a replacement, so I assume this is a common problem.

- Gravel has gouged the foam insulation, but I will paint it so it looks better.

- I could not identify the origin of the loose screw that was on the floor (a 1" sheet metal screw with a Robertson head).

-Dave
We had a couple very rough roads on our recent trip, mostly in southern Utah. The only issue we encountered was the pantry door popping open and a few loose food items winding up on the floor. Having said that, we drove EXTREMELY slow on such roads, and I think that saved us.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #78
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,661
Dave and Jane,
Do or did you have a w/d set up on this road. I wonder if w/d will exacerbate bouncing and possible damage?
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,063
It ranks right up there in the middle of no where as one of the worst washboard roads. I know a guy who drove that Chaco Canyon road. His Scamp had a brand new Dexter axle, wheel, brakes, drum assembly. Screws came loose in the brake drum, halfway to Chaco. Things bound up inside, friction and heat drained out all the grease in the bearings. He's lucky he got the thing to the campground, got help from a ranger who was a mechanic.

(No, it wasn't me.)
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #80
Member
 
Dave&Jane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Logan, Utah
Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
That is probably one of the roughest roads you will see...and the early spring snow and rains this year probably made that road even worse than usual.
Most of the gravel portions were OK, with moderate washboards, but not too bad. That last 5 miles however, were something else. There were sections of washboard, as bad as I have ever experienced, which is probably where most of the damage occurred. Fortunately the road was dry - I would NOT want to be there when these ruts were made (I just kept my wheels on the high parts).

-Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chaco Road.jpg (112.5 KB, 53 views)
__________________

__________________
Dave and Jane
Logan, Utah
Dave&Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.