Dometic Power awning not fully retracting - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Posts: 92
Dometic Power awning not fully retracting on one end

We're finishing up getting our 5.0TA ready to go on our trip and I noticed that the Dometic power awning doesn't fully retract. It almost retracts fully in the front, but is about 1/2" out in the back. I cycled it a couple of times to no effect. I also pulled off the rear cover and tried to crank it the rest of the way in manually, but no go. Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? Thanks.
__________________

jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Hertel, Wisconsin
Trailer: TBD
Posts: 2,150
Our power awning extends a few inches and then binds up and stops
I can get it to retract if I cycle it several times. Right now I’ve got it back in place and I am going to leave well enough alone . Come Spring I will Jack with it again , just one more thing on a long list of repairs I need to do .
Hopefully someone can answer your question , it will be of help to me and others
__________________

__________________
The Danbury Malcontented Curmudgeon
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
PGDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Alberta, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 1,692
Here is a video or Reace with awning adjustment instructions, hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/xq4jK-_OQGU
__________________
Cheers
Doug
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Posts: 92
Thanks. I don't have the manual. Anyone know the model of the awning so I can get one from Dometic?
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: WI, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
Thanks. I don't have the manual. Anyone know the model of the awning so I can get one from Dometic?
My manual for my 2018 says 9500E model 231(LL)

Edit to add I think this is it. https://www.dometic.com/assets/82/23...3.pdf?att=true
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,733
Ons should always carry the manuals Escape provides for their trailers, inside the unit. sometimes wi/fi may not be available and having a hard copy would be indispensable..
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Posts: 92
I agree - just didn't get one for the awning.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,879
You can find it under FILES near the top of this web page too.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vonore, Tennessee
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Posts: 75
Apparently, there are two different remotes for this awning - a three button and a four button. The link provided by MikeS is for the three button remote. If you have the four button remote, you will need the file listed in the files section of this forum. The reset instructions are NOT the same for both remotes (I learned this when we were having problems with our awning recently). We have the four button remote and I have printed the instructions to go in the hard copy packet in the trailer. One other thing I learned. Be sure you have the awning serial number written down somewhere in case you need service. When our awning "locked" up a while back, that was one of the first questions that Dometic asked me. I couldn't tell them because the serial number is on a sticker inside the awning bracket. Needless to say, I have it recorded now. I plan on adding it to the list of information that is inside the wardrobe.
__________________
Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ...
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Posts: 92
Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
Apparently, there are two different remotes for this awning - a three button and a four button. The link provided by MikeS is for the three button remote. If you have the four button remote, you will need the file listed in the files section of this forum. The reset instructions are NOT the same for both remotes (I learned this when we were having problems with our awning recently). We have the four button remote and I have printed the instructions to go in the hard copy packet in the trailer. One other thing I learned. Be sure you have the awning serial number written down somewhere in case you need service. When our awning "locked" up a while back, that was one of the first questions that Dometic asked me. I couldn't tell them because the serial number is on a sticker inside the awning bracket. Needless to say, I have it recorded now. I plan on adding it to the list of information that is inside the wardrobe.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,838
I had a lot of problems with ours and ended up taking it to ETI last year (or year before; don't really exactly remember when) to get fixed. I tried resetting it multiple times at the campground and it didn't fix it. Ended up duct taping the front end as I was afraid it would flop out while driving home.


When I got home, Dirk and I fiddle farted around with the adjustment area on the outer edge of the awning, which was what was recommended at the time. We went back and forth a bazillion times and it never would retract completely. that's when I took it up to ETI.


Turns out it also needed adjusting on the part against the trailer, which is shown around 9 mins into the video referenced above. ETI had been learning at that time that it needed adjusting. Reace adjusted it and it's been fine since (knock on wood!). He added the screw that's mentioned in the video.


So, yeah, you may need to adjust that area to solve your problem. Good luck!
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:32 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ons should always carry the manuals Escape provides for their trailers, inside the unit. sometimes wi/fi may not be available and having a hard copy would be indispensable..
Anyone who carries a computer or tablet (or even a phone) can carry a digital copy, independent of WiFi or other internet access.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #13
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Anyone who carries a computer or tablet (or even a phone) can carry a digital copy, independent of WiFi or other internet access.
I grew up with books and carried a briefcase for 30 years, so hard copies are my first choice and digital as a back up.....I understand today it maybe the reverse, but having both is comforting.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas & Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Posts: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
My manual for my 2018 says 9500E model 231(LL)[/URL]

Thanks Mike!

Fred M.
__________________

__________________
Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning, power awning, retract

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×