Entry Step - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have used both of these for my step to make it solid, one is attached and the other slides under and adjusts. Both work and they make the step more secure....https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+step+b...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Attached Thumbnails
51uu2lER6zL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg   717d3wW70+L._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg  
Old 09-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We have the stock step, and only on the rare occasion when the grade slopes drastically away from the trailer door do we have any concern with the height of the step, but even then it is a matter of knowing where the step is and adjusting our use and using the assists if really needed.

We are both young yet, in our early 60s, so maybe in time.........

Jasper is 11 and often does not use the step at all. Darn dogs.
When you where 11 you probably wouldn’t have used it either😂
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape 21
Typical riser height

“Stair riser heights shall be 7 inches (178 mm) maximum and 4 inches (102 mm) minimum.“ http://www.centurygrp.com/Images/Int...eadsrisers.pdf
My 2019 E21 is a long way down to the step, then a comfortable distance to the ground (roughly 11” and 7-1/2” ). We almost stumble, stepping out the door. It’s a borderline hazard for us, and wouldn’t pass building code for most communities. For a building. Not sure what or if I’ll do anything, to remedy the situation.

I’ve already removed the rivets on a HF small step stool, and was going to shorten it. But that is the wrong direction. It was probably ok to begin with. I’m camping in another state today, and will look into it again when I get back home.

Shortening that first step from the door, is the main hazard. At 5’6, and 72 years young, I’d like a remedy. A 1x board, placed on the step, would help a little, resulting in 9-1/2” down (instead of ~11”). That would make both steps almost equidistant, although still a tad too tall.

The 19”(?) total distance, makes it hard to divide equally. But two steps might be an easier, more gentle step down, at slightly less than 6” each step, not counting slopes or high rise axles. Provided that such a step is available.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #44

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
“Stair riser heights shall be 7 inches (178 mm) maximum and 4 inches (102 mm) minimum.“ http://www.centurygrp.com/Images/Int...eadsrisers.pdf
My 2019 E21 is a long way down to the step, then a comfortable distance to the ground (roughly 11” and 7-1/2” ). We almost stumble, stepping out the door. It’s a borderline hazard for us, and wouldn’t pass building code for most communities. Not sure what or if I’ll do, if anything, to remedy the situation.

I’ve already removed the rivets on a HF small step stool, and was going to shorten it. But that is the wrong direction. It was probably ok to begin with. I’m camping in another state today, and will look into it again when I get back.

Shortening that first step from the door, is the main hazard. At 5’6, and 72 years young, I’d like a remedy. A 1x board, placed on the step, would help a little, resulting in 9-1/2” down (instead of ~11”). That would make both steps almost equidistant, although still a tad too tall.

The 19”(?) total distance, makes it hard to divide equally. But two steps might be an easier, more gentle step down, at slightly less than 6” each step, not counting slopes or high rise axles. Provided that such a step is available.
I am a young 73 , 5 6 in and that is exactly why I changed out the step . I now have the correct 7 in from trailer to step . The problem was finding a 2 step that is 18 in in width . Couldn’t find . But. You can get the 18 in step Ron has and just bolt on to trailer . Then I shortened the legs to our aluminum portable step . Now have 2 steps . My knees are thankful and I am safer . I also have a extra handle inside doorway . we have Classic model trailer . I purchased the replacement step on Amazon . It doesn’t have when opened the long drop . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
When you where 11 you probably wouldn’t have used it either[emoji23]
Nope,wouldn't have used it. I slept in a tent then.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #46

Ron’s is 180 diff than mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I am a young 73 , 5 6 in and that is exactly why I changed out the step . I now have the correct 7 in from trailer to step . The problem was finding a 2 step that is 18 in in width . Couldn’t find . But. You can get the 18 in step Ron has and just bolt on to trailer . Then I shortened the legs to our aluminum portable step . Now have 2 steps . My knees are thankful and I am safer . I also have a extra handle inside doorway . we have Classic model trailer . I purchased the replacement step on Amazon . It doesn’t have when opened the long drop . Pat
Anyone would or should find it uncomfortable to climb dissimilar height steps. Age and disability makes it even worse, me thinks.

My 6 month old E21 steps are the opposite of Ron’s; mine being 7” from ground to the step, then 11”-12” from step to camper. However, either one presents a lopsided, non-equidistant climb or descent.

A 12” step! That’s not good. But to remedy it and invest into Ron’s original first steps, then purchase Camper Worlds portable steps or Amazon replacement?
Old 09-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Anyone would or should find it uncomfortable to climb dissimilar height steps. Age and disability makes it even worse, me thinks.

My 6 month old E21 steps are the opposite of Ron’s; mine being 7” from ground to the step, then 11”-12” from step to camper. However, either one presents a lopsided, non-equidistant climb or descent.

A 12” step! That’s not good. But to remedy it and invest into Ron’s original first steps, then purchase Camper Worlds portable steps or Amazon replacement?
I like the Spa Step from Amazon. Light weight yet strong. Very comfortable to use. The steps are almost equidistant. 7, 7.5, and 6. While traveling it stands on it's side front of the bathroom. Haven't noticed any marks on the interior of the trailer from it moving around.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0416.jpg  
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Well, as I said in my first post, I wasn't looking at a step stool solution.

OK, picked up my replacement step at ETI yesterday. It is the drop down one the same as I had on the 19.

Here's the puzzle. In the showroom 2 out of the 3 trailer steps that I looked at appeared to be the straight out, high first step, units. Don't know what goes with that. Maybe folks picking up in the next while should check which type they have. Most folks would find the non drop down one too high.

At any rate, since neither of us have mobility issues we've now got the step we know works for us.

It's not really installed, only two bolts to check the fit. It's off to the paint shop now for a couple of coats of Tremclad. If there's one thing that I know about these steps it's that they'll need paint sooner than later. Might as well paint it now before I have to sand off rust.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0035_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #49

Quote:

Your knees will Thankyou for a two step .Ron’s 7 in from trailer floor and portable aluminum step . We also have the spa step at home but too big to haul around but useful at home . Pat
Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

OK, picked up my replacement step at ETI yesterday. It is the drop down one the same as I had on the 19.

Here's the puzzle. In the showroom 2 out of the 3 trailer steps that I looked at appeared to be the straight out, high first step, units. Don't know what goes with that. Maybe folks picking up in the next while should check which type they have. Most folks would find the non drop down one too high.

At any rate, since neither of us have mobility issues we've now got the step we know works for us.

It's not really installed, only two bolts to check the fit. It's off to the paint shop now for a couple of coats of Tremclad. If there's one thing that I know about these steps it's that they'll need paint sooner than later. Might as well paint it now before I have to sand off rust.

Ron
Glad you got your step Ron . You are right about painting now , Pat
Old 09-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #51

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

Ron
Ron - remind me, did you get the high axle lift? It looks like 11" or so to the first step, and then another 11" to the trailer? Does this mean with the high axle you would have about 13 1/2" to the first step?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #52

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Ron - remind me, did you get the high axle lift?
No high lift. See post #4.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have the same step unit on my former 17, and my current 21. Both were ordered with the high lift axle. A single step that drops down 1" from the stored position. When deployed on near level ground (passenger side is 1/4" higher to level the trailer) , 11 & 1/2" from ground to step & 11 & 1/4" from step to trailer.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Your knees will Thankyou for a two step .
Pat
Thanks for your concern Pat. We have 188 steps down to our local river. M. runs up them and I come up 2 steps at a time. As long as we can do that I won't be looking for a two step option. Just wanted the distance between them a little more equal.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #55

Trailer: 21’ 2020
This thread interests me quite a bit, as I have mobility issues. Gravity is usually my friend, except for going up.

Has anybody found RV manufactured steps that are shorter in rise? Perhaps even with three steps?

Ron, I was interested in what you said about making devices and life easier for disabled people. I’m extremely weak with muscular dystrophy.

Keeping this in mind, what do you think could help someone like me regarding The 21‘ trailer? Are there any changes they could make at the factory while building it? How about aftermarket options? Custom options?

Anything you could offer would be greatly appreciated! If there isn’t already a thread on this topic, maybe I’ll start one.

Thanks!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:31 PM   #56

Quote:
Thanks for your concern Pat. We have 188 steps down to our local river. M. runs up them and I come up 2 steps at a time. As long as we can do that I won't be looking for a two step option. Just wanted the distance between them a little more equal.

Ron
Ron I get it . I was quoting Rrgramps post #49 . I commented to you on post #50 . Pat
Old 09-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #57

Quote:
Ron
Me neither. No additional purchases should have to be made. Proper and safe steps for the elderly, should come already on the trailer. As standard. Not hazardous, precarious steps.

Like this deck stair recommendation;
“ The maximum allowable stair rise is 7 3/4 inches, and the minimum stair rise is 4 inches”.
https://www.google.com/search?q=stan...&client=safari

And this trailer stair
https://youtu.be/1QuQUkq0MRo
Old 09-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #58

Quote:

Ron
Stepping down, is for me, more hazardous. Especially in the dark. My 1st step is almost a jump down. Then the second step is low; surprising, stumbling almost. It’s easier walking up, but still, it isn’t right. They don’t belong to this trailer.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #59

Quote:
Stepping down, is for me, more hazardous. Especially in the dark. My 1st step is almost a jump down. Then the second step is low; surprising, stumbling almost. It’s easier walking up, but still, it isn’t right. They don’t belong to this trailer.
I hear you on this . When we went to the factory before pickup I did notice the lack of some substantial hand holder . There wasn’t at the time a pole , which I added later . But the pole is not what should be to hang on to coming and going . When we got home we went back and forth with Escape on adding a better handle . They consented on one which I brought up . They said they forgot to add and it was too late . I did get them to install another , the outside handle in our doorway . We use all the time coming and going .
It was a while later I noticed the step . Another forum member gave me the idea to change to correct height especially for us with knee problems . But it needed another step because the distance from that step to ground was worst . So that is where the portable comes in . Gives you a correct height , I cut ours , and a nice platform coming and going . A lot of forum members have made their own also.
I agree the spacing is not correct but it is what it is and many of us have solved it ourselves . Pat
Old 09-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The distance from the bottom step to the ground depends on the lay of the land. I had to use two lego blocks under the passenger side wheel to level the trailer, which raised the step a couple inches. That and the slope of the land took me by surprise the first time I exited.