Entry Step - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
7” (down) to the first step from the floor is perfect. Even if only one-step is attached, the remaining 11-1/2” to the ground possibly could be provided with an adjustable step-stool. As was mentioned earlier.

All I need to do is find a 7” drop, single step, instead of the 11-1/2” drop from the floor that I now have.

But the attached 2-step, is more convenient. Except for extreme slopes.
Trent Took a picture of our spa steps we use at home . Just keep the step closed when spa step in there . The trailer step is 7 in now . I may have the aluminum step picture in my albums on the forum . I will check . The spa step is very comfortable . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
F1D1CCEF-2EE6-4034-BE7C-FEC2261918FA.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:54 PM   #82

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Trent Took a picture of our spa steps we use at home . Just keep the step closed when spa step in there . The trailer step is 7 in now . I may have the aluminum step picture in my albums on the forum . I will check . The spa step is very comfortable . Pat
Just checked and in my albums have 3 pictures of the new step and aluminum step . The pictures are in latest mods . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:20 PM   #83

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Our 2018 - 19 came with the pull straight out step...this is what I did at the link directly below.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post295035

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #84

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Our 2018 - 19 came with the pull straight out step...this is what I did at the link directly below.
Very nice. I was thinking that a removable second step would be ideal. Only put it on when needed.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #85

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Very nice. I really like that at the steps are all pretty even in rise. It would be a nice build sheet option. Or standard equipment.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #86

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
7” (down) to the first step from the floor is perfect. Even if only one-step is attached, the remaining 11-1/2” to the ground possibly could be provided with an adjustable step-stool. As was mentioned earlier.

All I need to do is find a 7” drop, single step, instead of the 11-1/2” drop from the floor that I now have.

But the attached 2-step, is more convenient. Except for extreme slopes.
See post #4. That's about what the straight out step that I returned gives.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
See post #4. That's about what the straight out step that I returned gives.

Ron
Your straight out step is the one I prefer... if it is closer to the trailer floor, that is, because the long distance to the ground can be intervened with a short, adjustable step stool. I think. But it’s another thing that has to be packed up, stored, then deployed.

Maybe contact ETI on that 2-step option in post #3 http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post306902
It might be the http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post307751 in post #72

My step drops down; way down yonder. So low that the trailer bounces when we jump down on it. I’d rather jump down on sold terra; save the suspension wear.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #88

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Some of you have me considering keeping up on my psychical activity to keep fit so I don't start to worry about my trailer step and modifying it. I never noticed and issue before, with the exception of the grade sloping away or towards the trailer.

I also am hoping I never develop any knee troubles either. Being young works for now.

Off to do my exercises and stretches before working hard for the day.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #89

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Casitas with the high lift had the same issues as discussed here. Little House Customs fabricated a two step solution for owners. It sounds like ETI is working towards this as an option.
Attached Thumbnails
double step casita.JPG  
Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Some of you have me considering keeping up on my psychical activity to keep fit so I don't start to worry about my trailer step and modifying it. I never noticed and issue before, with the exception of the grade sloping away or towards the trailer.

I also am hoping I never develop any knee troubles either. Being young works for now.

Off to do my exercises and stretches before working hard for the day.
Me too. The main physical disability I have is from Agent Orange, and that is internal. (Although I am starting to get an occasional back ache, and have a arthritis). Nothing that would prohibit me from climbing, walking, bicycling, or short distance jogging).

Uneven steps, though, are something I am OCD about, no matter where they occur. And I better not spill my coffee!

11-1/2”, thud, and then —
7-1/2” Sometimes as low as 3-1/2” or high as 11”. (The height of my Anderson drive-on levelers); but the last step is ground dependent, and is always going to be.

That’s why I’m coming to believe that the last step can be corrected better with a portable step; under nominal, close to level campsites.

If 1-1/2” is enough to make a difference, I’m going to try a 1-1/2” thick board.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #91

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, I belong to a group, Tetra Society of North America. www.tetrasociety.org It was founded when Vancouver's first disabled mayor asked a couple of retired engineers for some help with mobility issues. It has grown a lot over the years. I don't know if there's a chapter anywhere near you.

I deal with a variety of people with various disabilities related to MD, ALS, ADCY5, Parkinsons etc. All projects begin with a client meeting in which their specific abilities and needs are determined. If there's one thing that I've learned it's that very rarely is there a one size fits all solution.

So, do I think that there's an ETI solution. No. I think that you have to consider the brackets that the step assembly bolts to to be a "hard point". Any solution could use that point but I would consider it improbable that ETI could accommodate what would amount to a variety of requests.

There are multi step units available. Whether they could be adapted or not would take some research. The most likely alternative would be custom steps, but again, each situation is different and it's difficult to come to a firm evaluation with observing the client and their abilities.

Dealing with some of the situations can be pretty grim. Here's a couple of photos that warm my heart and make it all worthwhile.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with questions.

Ron
Ron, I appreciate such a well-thought out and caring response, with the information you included. No I haven’t heard of that society but will definitely look it up and see how I could contribute somehow.

Let me just say here that I spoke with the ETI president and sales team, and they are very receptive to input regarding changes to the trailer to accommodate not only people with disabilities, but seniors, people with arthritis, and similar. They’d like to make the trailer as accessible as possible to all.

If this takes some structural (or ancillary) alterations, they may be willing to do it if it affects a majority of people.
So any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #92

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Uneven steps, though, are something I am OCD about, no matter where they occur.

11-1/2”, thud, and then
7-1/2” (sometimes as low as 4”, the height of my Anderson drive on levelers; but the last step is ground dependent, and is always going to be).
I build and install lots of stairs in homes, and there cannot be more than 1/4" difference in risers. To do this with a trailer would be near impossible, that last step will always vary. I just adapt to whatever the site situation is. Like I said though, as we age and possibly develop a physical deficiency, we may be forced to change. For now I can still clip my toenails by stepping one foot up on the counter.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Casitas with the high lift had the same issues as discussed here. Little House Customs fabricated a two step solution for owners. It sounds like ETI is working towards this as an option.
That might be a solution. We love our Escape, but had lots of good memories with our Casita. It didn’t have the high-rise option. Seems like the steps were gentle, and not noticeably uneven. Maybe because our standard Casita was lower.

Thanks also, Artlady.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I am going to be very interested in how ETI goes about doing this without reworking the large fiberglass lump under the door that blocks the lower step from folding in.

Most trailers as pictured in the article have very little bodywork under the door making a standard off the shelf 2 step work with very little modification.

As mentioned it might be a unit that works differently and hangs down significantly low.
Attached Thumbnails
68D6E4DA-1FF1-4F1F-A43A-8F332F54E9F7.jpg  

Old 09-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #95

This fiberglass area under the door is what stops the average 2 step from folding in on itself for transport.
Attached Thumbnails
C72F0C04-7ACC-44A5-9FE9-B093CBD9CDD7.jpg  

Old 09-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #96

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Should be about 7" per step. To the ground would depend on where you're parked.
🤔Unless you see some numbers I don’t there is about an 8 “ rise between the 2 steps shown. Had to scale drawing to come up with that. The rise from trailer to first step would be dependent on on how far stairs are mounted below floor. And of course step to ground depending on depth of whatever precipice you happen to be camping next to.
😎 Just saying....
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #97

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
I build and install lots of stairs in homes, and there cannot be more than 1/4" difference in risers. To do this with a trailer would be near impossible, that last step will always vary. I just adapt to whatever the site situation is. Like I said though, as we age and possibly develop a physical deficiency, we may be forced to change. For now I can still clip my toenails by stepping one foot up on the counter.
Me too!
My wife hates when I do that....
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #98

The irregular distance from the step to the ground will always be a large variable.

If I was working with someone with mobility issues I'd explore their ability to use a ramp. It might be feasible to replace the step with a pull out ramp. A ramp would accommodate varying distances to the ground.

Interesting comment about ETI's willingness to look at solutions for folks with mobility issues given that a fair part of the trailer buying demographic likely has some issues.

Ron
Old 09-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #99

Quote:
For now I can still clip my toenails by stepping one foot up on the counter.
Ah, now that's an image burned into my brain that I didn't need.

Actually I do the same thing. I think my wife should be happy that I'm fit enough to do that but no, she views a foot on her precious marble counter as a no-no.

Ron
Old 09-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #100

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
steps

The spa steps were perfect for the 21 and the single factory step works well for the 17. The toe nail thing requires me to go outside and sit on a concrete bench.
AZJACK
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote