Entry Step - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Entry Step

OK, did I miss the memo? I have to say that we were a little surprised to get the trailer home, put the step out and see how high it was compared to the one on our 19. That's a pretty big first step, even for fit people. When we're parallel to a beach etc. and the surface slopes away from the trailer the step would be even higher.

Is this a new design of step? Or are we just forgetting that the 19 was the same? And, no, no, no, our solution will not be any type of freestanding step stool.

It looks like there's a couple of manufacturers that make a suitable 2 step unit but I'd like to know when this current step came into use. Do all models use the same step?

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0017_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just went out and measured mine, it is 11.5 to the top of the step, it does drop down once fully extended into a locked position. did you get the high axle option?
Old 09-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
2nd step option available

Soon-to-be owners should be advised that ETI is now offering a 2-step option. I am told it hangs down 8" when folded up (vs the 4" that the current 1-step option hangs down), so likely not ideal unless you have opted for the high lift axel. I still need to decide if I want to get the 2-step on my new E19 (with the high lift axel) - anyone have a high lift E19 and find their single step too high for comfort?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

Negative, no high lift axle.

I know what you mean about pulling out and dropping down. That's what our 19 did.

No, this one just pulls more or less straight out like a drawer, no drop down.

The photo somewhat distorts the situation. The first step up is 14" then 7" to the trailer floor.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0020_resize.JPG  
Old 09-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #5

Here's the thing. It's not a matter of one step or two. It's that the single step that came on my 21 isn't the same type of single step that my 19 came with.

On our old non-high lift 19 the single step came out, dropped down a bit and made for more or less two equal steps up into the trailer. The one on the 21 doesn't drop down and that makes a giant first step.

In your case, if the single step you get is the same, with a high lift axle, it'd be a really high first step. Not something the average person would want.

In my case, I shouldn't have to be considering ripping off the step and buying a 2 step unit.

I'll wait to hear from others who have picked up their trailers and see what type of step they've received recently before I follow up.

Ron
Old 09-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I do not think the high lift option would impact as the frame remains the same height, it is the trailer body being raised 2", thus your second step would change going in from the outside but the 1st step should remain the same regardless.....
Old 09-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #7

Perhaps they may still have the other style step and can change it for you, Ron, but you are right that first one is awkward. I wonder why it was changed from the dropped down model?
Old 09-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Ron, we have the same issue I will be changing out the single step to a 2 step setup soon
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I do not think the high lift option would impact as the frame remains the same height, it is the trailer body being raised 2", thus your second step would change going in from the outside but the 1st step should remain the same regardless.....
Is that right Jim? I had thought (perhaps incorrectly) that the high lift option increased the distance between the axle and the frame. This would mean the whole frame is 3" higher, and since, I presume the step is bolted onto the frame, any steps would be an additional 3" off the ground.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
OK, did I miss the memo? I have to say that we were a little surprised to get the trailer home, put the step out and see how high it was compared to the one on our 19. That's a pretty big first step, even for fit people. When we're parallel to a beach etc. and the surface slopes away from the trailer the step would be even higher.

Is this a new design of step? Or are we just forgetting that the 19 was the same? And, no, no, no, our solution will not be any type of freestanding step stool.

It looks like there's a couple of manufacturers that make a suitable 2 step unit but I'd like to know when this current step came into use. Do all models use the same step?

Ron
I just measured the step on my 2017 21' with high lift. The top of the step to the ground is 11". The top of the step to the door threshold is 11".

Oh, and it looks it is time for painting again - it's amazing how fast the paint chips!
Attached Thumbnails
21 step.jpg  
Old 09-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #11

OK, thanks for the photo, that shows the difference. If I had that type I wouldn't be considering a 2 step unit.

Well, no sense speculating, might as well get it from the horse's mouth.

Ron
Old 09-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Is that right Jim? I had thought (perhaps incorrectly) that the high lift option increased the distance between the axle and the frame. This would mean the whole frame is 3" higher, and since, I presume the step is bolted onto the frame, any steps would be an additional 3" off the ground.
See here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ape-15181.html
Old 09-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
OK, thanks for the photo, that shows the difference. If I had that type I wouldn't be considering a 2 step unit.

Well, no sense speculating, might as well get it from the horse's mouth.

Ron
The step on my trailer seems to be the Elkhart 120 Single Step.

https://www.amazon.com/Elkhart-120-S...gateway&sr=8-9

20" Width x 5.25" Drop from Frame.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You will want to deal with that step. Just back from camping where I had to place a couple lego blocks under the passenger side wheel. That raised the step further and I almost did a header the first time exiting the trailer. Wasn't expecting the height.
I do have high-lift.
Attached Thumbnails
step.jpg  
Old 09-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I have a 5.0 manufactured in June and we took delivery at the end of August. The step is identical to my 2015 19’.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5391.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	41818
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #16

OK, mystery solved. Nothing like getting the facts from the factory.

I talked to Dustin in Parts. He measured the one on the factory floor.

Here's the deal; there are two types of units, those that go on the bumper pulls and the one that goes on the 5.0TA. We have the one for the 5.0TA which is evidently a couple of inches lower and doesn't require the other model.

So I'll remove mine and next time I'm by ETI we'll trade units. No biggie for me as I'm by them fairly frequently.

Well, glad I got the info directly from the horse's mouth, much better than lots of speculation or buying a 2 step unit on my dime.

Good service from Dustin in Parts. Called and told him my situation. He said that he'd go and measure the one in the show room etc. and call me back. I kind of cringe at that situation. How many times have I been told that I'll get a call back and waited and waited for a call that never comes. True to his word he called back, admitted that I have the wrong step and offered the exchange.

Ron
Old 09-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #17

Escape's customer service lives on.....
Old 09-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We bring one of these, stored just inside hte door when traveling, and don't even bother with the pullout step unless the ground seriously slows downhill on the curb side, then we use both.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
That is incorrect. The lift kit goes between the frame and the axle mounts. Everything goes up except for the axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Jordan: You are correct.

Quote:
See posts #7 and 15 which confirms that the step is higher when the high lift option is elected.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Just looked at my 2019 E19 with lift kit, it is around 11" to the top of the first step, hard to tell exactly because the the trailer is not on level ground, seems strange that you have this "no drop down" step.
Attached Thumbnails
entry step.jpg  
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote