Escape 5.0 TA Frame looks off center - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #121

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Then there's the short specification: "Hammer it in place, and paint to fit."
Or the long specification: "Cut to size; beat to fit; paint to match; in the field!"
Said nobody who worked for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #122

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
I used to work for Guerdon Industries building mobile homes. The consensus there was to just get it together and then let the people in final inspection make it work. Guerdon was supposed to be one of the top manufacturers as far as quality goes but I never saw a trailer that didn't have some defects.

I don't know how people think that anything is defect free. Shoot, just look at the space shuttle. Billions of dollars and they still had serious problems. Or look at Concord. All of that money invested and it never even came close to making a profit.

Life isn't about perfection. It's about good enough and the 5.0 TA is good enough.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #123
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a 1st gen 5.0TA. I've been under the loft many times with water and a wash mitt. I was MOST concerned with keeping water from running over my head and down my neck. My recent Big Trip of 10,000 miles with zero tire problems and NOW I find out the nose of my trailer may look like boxer with a broken nose? Crap. I guess I shouldn't have made so many great memories or my trailer shouldn't have performed nearly flawlessly. Really? Dang, I guess I should delete those photos... they're not perfect either.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
... the nose of my trailer may look like boxer with a broken nose? Crap.
Love the analogy. [emoji23]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-20-2018, 12:02 AM   #125

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
I just realize that Scarlet Johansson isn't beautiful after all because here face isn't symmetrical. One of her eyes is a little higher than the other.

The only problem is that I can't decide if maybe one side of her face is still beautiful on its own and if so, which one? Boy, just when I thought I had life pretty much figured out something like this comes along and I have to start all over again.

I guess I'll have to spend some time looking at Scarlet Johansson pictures to see if I can sort this thing out.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:06 AM   #126

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Have you contacted Escape about this? That is a full inch off center.
Though I doubt there would be any problem with it, I know it would drive me crazy, and I would want it fixed.
Is this still true or not?
Old 11-20-2018, 05:28 AM   #127

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Caulk and toothpaste was always my favorite "close enough for guvmint work"
Old 11-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Is this still true or not?
Good question.

I'm good now after Reace's explanation. At first I wrongly assumed the shell was on the frame askew. Nothing can now be done, and I accept this wee flaw, it just is not worth worrying about for me. Life throws way worse issues at me to deal with, so I am not going to lose sleep over something like this that affects nothing. (again I refer to my signature, I truly believe it to be true)

As mentioned in other posts, I really can't even see it and can only tell by measuring, though for some reason the offset is half that off the OP's.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #129
Site Team

Quote:
The quote in my signature says it all.
This is so very true. I find it comical that there are a few who get upset because there's a lot of us that choose to feed our joy rather than feed our anger.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #130

Quote:

As mentioned in other posts, I really can't even see it and can only tell by measuring, though for some reason the offset is half that off the OP's.
My expectation is that ETI is going to pay closer attention to aligning the body on the frame so that the offset is a half inch or less. Too bad the original poster got what appears to be one that is the most off center and is noticeable.

ETI's product and awareness of customer expectations will become better if they are made aware things like this. There is another recent thread about what to look for in a final inspection. That thread, started by a moderator, I think, sounds in comparison like a total vote of no confidence in ETI's quality control. But I'll bet that ETI will pay attention to the items on that list knowing they will be checked as purchasers descend on the factory with water tubes to verify propane pressure.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #131

Quote:
This is so very true. I find it comical that there are a few who get upset because there's a lot of us that choose to feed our joy rather than feed our anger.
Yes, it does appear that there are a few that feed their anger by feeding on anyone who strays from the path.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #132

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Thanks Reace
I was starting to think you may not respond, good for you. I fully understand both the design issues you describe and the crookedness of the mold ( I personally would have never signed off on the mold ). kinda put you between a rock and a hard place. You may want to spend a little time and check your Jig or spend a little time with your crew as some 5.0 our coming off the line over one inch off and others only 1/2" off.
🤔 Im wondering exactly how you would have measured this imperfection in the mold before signing off on it. Just guessing here, the imperfection probably was not seen until the shell was mounted to the frame. It’s a hand built mold, not a CNC precision cut. People here have owned their trailers and used them for years in some cases and didn’t even notice. This “imperfection” does nothing functionally and is almost cosmetically impercievable. You could pay twice as much for a trailer and still find problems. It’s tough being a perfectionist in an imperfect world.

I bought my 5.0 TA because I thought it was a well made, unique product that was a good value for the price. This “Tempest in a teapot “ has in now way changed my mind. Personally I can’t wait for my next outing. crooked trailer and all. 😎
Old 11-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Personally I can’t wait for my next outing. crooked trailer and all. 😎
Just the boxer nose Cliff, not the whole trailer.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #134

Quote:
Just the boxer nose Cliff, not the whole trailer.
😎 I’d like to think of it as character 😂
Old 11-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #135

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
My expectation is that ETI is going to pay closer attention to aligning the body on the frame so that the offset is a half inch or less. Too bad the original poster got what appears to be one that is the most off center and is noticeable.

ETI's product and awareness of customer expectations will become better if they are made aware things like this. There is another recent thread about what to look for in a final inspection. That thread, started by a moderator, I think, sounds in comparison like a total vote of no confidence in ETI's quality control. But I'll bet that ETI will pay attention to the items on that list knowing they will be checked as purchasers descend on the factory with water tubes to verify propane pressure.
Frame and Body aliments will have to be done at the time the body joins the frame, not at final inspection. I would assume that there is some leeway when to body is set on the frame, if not one or the other is going to have to be corrected. A re-measure of the frame and body should tell where they are off, I think a $100,000 laser system should do the job. Escape is going to have to address this as word is out and now many will be bring their tape measures to there delivery day for inspection. It maybe as easy as a frame jig correction and it's not going to make the trailer go down the road crooked or pull sideways.

trainman
Old 11-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Frame and Body aliments will have to be done at the time the body joins the frame, not at final inspection. I would assume that there is some leeway when to body is set on the frame, if not one or the other is going to have to be corrected. A re-measure of the frame and body should tell where they are off, I think a $100,000 laser system should do the job. Escape is going to have to address this as word is out and now many will be bring their tape measures to there delivery day for inspection. It maybe as easy as a frame jig correction and it's not going to make the trailer go down the road crooked or pull sideways.

trainman
😂 Seriously
Old 11-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #137
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post

trainman
It's not that the body is crooked on the frame, it's that the nose section is slightly crooked and Reace explained why it's that way. No jig or fancy laser system is going to fix it. A new mold would have to be made and the propane and plumbing rerouted.

For those that forgot, here's Reace's explanation, direct link: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post269452
Old 11-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #138

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
It's not that the body is crooked on the frame, it's that the nose section is slightly crooked and Reace explained why it's that way. No jig or fancy laser system is going to fix it. A new mold would have to be made and the propane and plumbing rerouted.

For those that forgot, here's Reace's explanation, direct link: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post269452

Exactly!!!

(Aside: since "asymmetric faces" were brought up: Typically, if you're right-handed, the right side of your face is a little larger, rt. eye and ear are higher, and sometimes the right hand and foot are larger. Conversely for left-handers (those of us in our right minds!). So, the question is, are Escapes right or left handed trailers?)
Old 11-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #139

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Exactly!!!

(Aside: since "asymmetric faces" were brought up: Typically, if you're right-handed, the right side of your face is a little larger, rt. eye and ear are higher, and sometimes the right hand and foot are larger. Conversely for left-handers (those of us in our right minds!). So, the question is, are Escapes right or left handed trailers?)
Hi: dfandrews... I don't know about trailers... but we did have a "Left handed" kitchen. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 11-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #140

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:

True, a Laser can not fix any miss-alignments, frame or body, it can only tell you where your measuring points are and how they read. So if you have a miss-built mold, then you get to live with it, right. All being said, the topic has run its course and were just rehashing it over and over. I guess I will just keep throwing my 2 cents to keep it going with everyone else. I can't say this would stop me from buying a 5.0, but I would look closely at some before making that decision.

trainman
Closed Thread