Friction Hinges for Door - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2023, 12:33 PM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Friction Hinges for Door

I finally had a successful search on the forum and found a thread I was looking for concerning replacing the door piston so the gap at the bottom of the screen door can be covered. We will be camping a lot in the SW and are concerned snakes or rodents could make their way in quite easily under the screen door.

Here is the link that mentions the door fix and the friction hinges: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...off-23624.html

My question is that the link to Lippert that is provided is no longer valid and Lippert seems to have a few different friction hinges. Does anyone know which one is correct? (https://store.lci1.com/catalogsearch...friction+hinge).

Apparently there is a 5 and 6 hinge version and the 5 hinge is for a Lippert Door, but I have no idea if Escape uses a Lippert main entry door or some other main entry door. Does anyone know who Escape gets the door from?

Thanks!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
ETI has used different doors at times. There should be a sticker on the edge of your door with the manufacturer.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Here is the link that mentions the door fix and the friction hinges: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...off-23624.html

My question is that the link to Lippert that is provided is no longer valid and Lippert seems to have a few different friction hinges. Does anyone know which one is correct? (https://store.lci1.com/catalogsearch...friction+hinge).

Apparently there is a 5 and 6 hinge version and the 5 hinge is for a Lippert Door, but I have no idea if Escape uses a Lippert main entry door or some other main entry door. Does anyone know who Escape gets the door from?

Thanks!
We’re interested in this mod too, so would the Lippert friction hinges listed on Amazon that JohnK linked to in post #19 from that previous thread work? They show as being in stock.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:18 PM   #4
DT6

Thanks for the suggestion about the door sticker. It is a bit difficult to read, but I think it is a Lippert door. I sent a picture of the sticker off to Lippert to confirm and will post the response once I receive it.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
We’re interested in this mod too, so would the Lippert friction hinges listed on Amazon that JohnK linked to in post #19 from that previous thread work? They show as being in stock.
I installed those ones from Amazon on my Dec 2021 build date for my 21C, they worked perfectly.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I installed those ones from Amazon on my Dec 2021 build date for my 21C, they worked perfectly.
Thank you! Haven’t heard anything about ETI changing the doors or doorframes since then, so I see no reason these hinges wouldn’t work. Good news. Appreciate the feedback very much, Dianne.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:20 PM   #7
DT6

I just received an email directly from Lippert regarding adding friction hinges to our 2022 Escape 21C. There response is not good news, so now I'll have to find another alternative to secure the door when it is open.

From Lippert:
It is not recommended to add friction hinges after the build of the door because the frame was not built to withstand the extra strain. Plus your hinges are 5 leaf and the smallest friction we have is a six leaf.

Hope that helps,
Thank you

Amy S.
Lippert Components Inc.
Parts Sales
w: 574.537.8900 | f: 574.534.7161
Lippert
Old 01-19-2023, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
I just received an email directly from Lippert regarding adding friction hinges to our 2022 Escape 21C. There response is not good news, so now I'll have to find another alternative to secure the door when it is open.

From Lippert:
It is not recommended to add friction hinges after the build of the door because the frame was not built to withstand the extra strain. Plus your hinges are 5 leaf and the smallest friction we have is a six leaf.

Hope that helps,
Thank you

Amy S.
Lippert Components Inc.
Parts Sales
w: 574.537.8900 | f: 574.534.7161
Lippert
So I question this persons product knowledge. Lippert has an install video on their web site for the hinge upgrade with no mention of any of the concerns she raised. Also Lippert still sells the 5 leaf friction hinge, you can buy it through their on line store.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'd question it also. I installed them a few months ago and I think that it's a non-issue. Maybe removing the existing hinges and only having the two friction hinges would be an issue but no one's going to do that. The existing hinges plus the friction hinges are almost like a piano hinge. Many folks have added the friction hinges and I can't remember any negative posts about doing that.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0011_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:47 PM   #10
DT6

Thanks for the support! I wrote Lippert back today with the following, and will post their response when I get it. Based on the input from everyone, I agree the agent that answered was very likely not qualified to answer that question. Here is what I sent them (I also asked about another part that is unrelated to the friction hinge issue):

Thank you for getting back. I am at a bit of a loss to understand why these will not work on my door. First, you do sell a 5-leaf hinge (https://store.lci1.com/friction-hing...ite-2020109835), and the installation video says “it will add strength to your door”, and I did not see any cavets about not using it on any particular model. So there are likely a lot of people ordering the 5-leaf hinge without asking you all about it, so if indeed the 5-leaf hinge should not be used, the video and product description should be updated to state which model doors for which the hinge will not work.

Can you please double-check and advise. Also, will this window shade (https://store.lci1.com/thin-shade-re...y-doors-786037) that you sell fit on our door?

Thanks again for your time.

Regards,
Duncan
Old 01-19-2023, 07:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 E19
I cannot speak to the use of friction hinges on an Escape, but I did install a pair on my Hauley. Unfortunately one of the hinges' screws pulled out of the door soon afterward and I removed it; I oiled the other one so it would not do the same and it is still working (in a more modest fashion). The Hauley's door is light gauge metal with a foam center... just not much meat to hold the screws against so much friction resistance.

I have my Li'l Hauley for sale in hope of raising some money to put toward a pre-loved 17B.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Most RV doors are foam and tin.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:03 PM   #13
DT6

I heard back from Lippert and the individual who initially responded was incorrect (mostly). Looks like the 5-leaf will work fine. The only issue is removing the door piston voids the warranty. Unless the door magically de-laminates or falls apart, I don't think the warranty is a concern if your door has been working fine for a few months, so I'll take that chance.

Planning to do a lot of boon docking in the SW and have no interest in a Diamond Back finding our trailer "interesting", so looking forward to closing the bottom of the screen door off!

Here is the email from Lippert:

Hello

I apologize for the confusion. The reason your door cannot have friction hinges is because your door has a strut. You cannot have both friction hinges and a strut on the door. We don't recommend modifying the door or this will void warranty. If you still decide to remove the strut and use a friction hinge we offer a kit of two 5 leaf hinges that will go in between the existing hinges. Please keep in mind any modifications to the door can compromise the integrity of the door and will void any warranty coverage, damage or replacement costs would not be covered by Lippert.

2020109835 : Lippert Friction Hinge Kit for RV Entry Doors - White
Cost $43.95

Lead time is 5-10 business days, This can be ordered online at https://store.lci1.com/quickorder/ or contact our parts agents at 432-LIPPERT (432-547-7378).

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thank you,

Danielle O.

Lippert Customer Care Center Parts
P: 432.LIPPERT | F: 537.534.7161
E: customerservice@lci1.com
Old 01-20-2023, 01:22 PM   #14

Typical CYA response all the while selling the friction hinges.

And, as if, anyone would leave the strut in place and add friction hinges. Many folks that do this mod to allow the door to be parked parallel to the side of the trailer out of the way.

Never worried about snakes but since I don't have the strut anymore I may as well close off that possibility and perhaps also prevent a small rodent from gaining access.

Ron
Old 01-20-2023, 01:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Typical CYA response all the while selling the friction hinges.
Ha! That’s what I thought too. “You can’t do it, but this is how much it costs and this is how fast we’ll ship it to ya.” Haha.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:17 PM   #16
DT6

Yep! The new hinges arrive next week! Any tips on installation from others who have done this?
Old 01-20-2023, 03:29 PM   #17

The installation instructions were clear and easy and there were no surprises.

Ron
Old 01-20-2023, 04:35 PM   #18

After I removed the strut I used double sided tape to attach a price of 1/8 plexiglass. A bug can no longer get under the door
Old 01-20-2023, 05:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We installed the friction hinges we purchased from Lippert at least two years ago and have not had any issues. In fact the first thing we did when we purchased the trailer was remove the piston that held the door open. I would do it again without any worries.
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:48 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 E19
Hi Duncan,
It's great that you're installing friction hinges on your trailer. However, your expressed desire to keep rattlesnakes from your trailer interior may miss the mark by just a little. Rattlesnakes are 'ambush hunters'. When moving to find food, they look for the odor trail left by rodents. They'll find that trail and then wait for the next meal to wander by. For the most part, rattlesnakes (genus Crotalus) will only be on the move for food, romance, or shelter from the weather. The snakes (all types) will not be looking for food in your trailer unless you have been a host to mice or rats. When exiting your trailer, the old adage "Look before you leap" is most appropriate while in the Southwest during warm weather. There have been some observations of Blacktail rattlesnakes and Speckled rattlesnakes climbing into bushes to prey upon birds. Best of luck, and look out for the scorpions and centipedes.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote