Generators - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hello davescape,
Thank you for the detailed explaination of connecting two 15 amp generators to generate 30 amp power. I don't intent to buy two generators at this time since one generator will power the Escape Air Cond. or charge the two 6 volts batteries. We have the same model year of trailer and I am comfortable with your feedbacks and Reace's prior post that Honda EU2000i will run the trailer A/C. May I ask which model of generator do you have? My issue now is which one to buy. Am I correct to assume that Honda EU2000i companion is the right one to buy because I can use the detachable power cord to hook up to the generator's 30 amp outlet from the trailer shore power outlet . This is the same as I did in campsite with power but only getting 15amp. Please give your suggestions.

Tonny LR

Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #32

Hello davescape,
Do you have to buy a groung-neutral bond plug for the generator to work?

Tonny LR

Old 11-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I have the normal 2000i, has 2 15 amp plugs, no 30A. I just use one of the 30A to 15A adapters on the cord. You're only getting 15 out anyway unless you buy a 2nd generator. Either generator will do the job. If you decide you want 30A down the road one of the 2 must be a companion.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:12 PM   #34

Bob,
Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was researching for.

Tonny LR
Old 11-10-2015, 11:55 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I have the normal 2000i, has 2 15 amp plugs, no 30A. I just use one of the 30A to 15A adapters on the cord. You're only getting 15 out anyway unless you buy a 2nd generator. Either generator will do the job. If you decide you want 30A down the road one of the 2 must be a companion.
Yes, but there is another alternative: two normal EU2000i generators and a parallel connection kit. You don't need either to be a Companion.

As explained by Honda:
Quote:
Parallel cords allow the user to obtain the full power of both units, limited by the capacity of an individual outlet. Parallel cords are available for the EU1000i, EU2000i, EU3000 Handi, and EU3000i.
If you have 2 regular EU2000i, 2 EU3000 Handi, or 2 EU3000is, consider a parallel kit. The parallel kits include a built in 30A outlet (EU2000) or 50A outlet (EU3000), which is capable of providing the combined full power from both generators. Although the kit is more expensive than the parallel cords, it offers you more power from a single outlet.
If you have a regular EU2000i and the Companion model, you only need a parallel cord. You will be able to use the 30A outlet on the Companion to draw the full combined power of the two units.
The Companion has that handy 30-amp outlet, but it doesn't have a 12-volt outlet like the regular EU2000i... and the Companion costs more. The 30-amp outlet is the locking style (as used with a removable shore power cord), not the style that a campsite has, so you would still need an adapter to plug the Escape's power cord into it. Although the 12V output isn't a great charging source, I still wouldn't choose the Companion as the first unit, and maybe not even as the second.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, but there is another alternative: two normal EU2000i generators and a parallel connection kit. You don't need either to be a Companion.

As explained by Honda:

The Companion has that handy 30-amp outlet, but it doesn't have a 12-volt outlet like the regular EU2000i... and the Companion costs more. The 30-amp outlet is the locking style (as used with a removable shore power cord), not the style that a campsite has, so you would still need an adapter to plug the Escape's power cord into it. Although the 12V output isn't a great charging source, I still wouldn't choose the Companion as the first unit, and maybe not even as the second.
Brian B-P,
Thank you for the info. You certainly made it very clear that the regular Honda EU2000i is the generator to get. This is the info I need. I was not sure which generator to get in the first place. I appreciated you for taking time to share this info.

Tonny LR