How many use their ovens. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My wife really wanted an oven in our 5.0TA, so I bought a Dickinson Marine range and installed it for her. While we do the vast majority of our cooking outside, there are times we do cook inside, mostly due to the weather, but also when the mood strikes Lisa to do some baking. Only had one trailer before with one, and it saw next to no use. We would not go without one in a trailer again. A microwave though, we have no use for, as at home it mostly reheats coffee and when camping we can actually sit and enjoy our coffee to the bottom of the cup.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I can't believe Jim Bennett admitted to reheating coffee in a microwave. Or, reheating coffee.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I can't believe Jim Bennett admitted to reheating coffee in a microwave. Or, reheating coffee.
For sure. Not going to waste a good cuppa Joe.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #24

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
As evidenced by the variety of replies, 'oven' or 'no oven' is a matter of camping styles and for many they want an oven but prefer an upgrade to what is offered from the factory. Our first FG camper did not have an oven and we got along fine however I really wanted the oven option in our 21' Escape. Martha was neutral on the subject but on our way home after picking up our camper this spring Martha mentioned how happy she was that we added that option. We have found that air bake sheets do help.

I do agree with many who have no desire for a microwave, but to each their own. If you think you might like the oven I suggest you go ahead ad add the option. Enjoy the process of selecting the camper that fits your style.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
In 25+ years of camping we have never once wished we had an oven.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:30 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
What ‘s interesting most RV’s have a oven included Just looked at a few yesterday small like Lance 1475 loaded trailer had oven and microwave and a lagun table mounts with 2 tables Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
My 1985 pick up truck camper even had an oven. We used it to store our dirty/wet clothes when skiing.........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
My 1985 pick up truck camper even had an oven. We used it to store our dirty/wet clothes when skiing.........
Hey Charlie our 1992 truck camper had a oven and we used ours to cook in . Hey we even had a double stainless sink too . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:57 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I'll add to the poll. We are on our 3rd RV and ovens in all. We use it frequently but we use our home oven frequently too.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:23 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We use our oven several times a year, but rarely in summer. Heating frozen dishes like lasagna and doing garlic bread are two common uses.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:20 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
would agree

Hello,
Our situation sounds a lot like yours, for many camping trips it was a portable lightweight stove and simple meals because of the style of camping we preferred back then. But Patty decided she wanted a bathroom that actually had a door so that's when we started camping with more luxuries but the one thing that has never changed is how we cook and always prefer to do that outside no matter what the weather is. Now will say I like having the microwave and have used it on occasions but stove would not be something we would ever use, other ways to cook pizza .
I would base my decision on what works best for you and how you camp, if and when you decided to sell your Escape don't think it would hurt you in resale at all.

Safe travels to all,

Steve and Patty
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:10 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
We aer picking up our Escape 19 in September 2018 and I had thought maybe a pizza stone would work well kn the oven. Thank you for saying it does! I will now definitely use it. It would also be great to put pizza on!!
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
We are Dutch oven fans, but have started using the oven in our trailer. Due to extreme fire danger, we found restrictions on fires including charcoal almost everywhere in the west.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
We use our oven nearly every trip. We don't have a microwave and don't miss it. Everyone's style of camping is different. We use an oven frequently at home as well (often it's a toaster oven used to heat up bread) so having an oven in our 19' was a no-brainer.
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #35

Trailer: 2008 17B, 2011 19
We just returned from our first outing in the Escape19 we recently purchased used. We would not have thought to order an oven if we were buying new, but the used trailer had an oven so we decided to give it a try. We found it to be a great asset except that you lose cupboard drawer space. We bought an inexpensive pizza stone recommended for better heat distribution. We cooked pasta dishes and some frozen meals. I think it is a nice alternative to the Walmart BBQ chickens we would have when traveling and boon docking in their parking lot. If you don't mind losing the cutlery drawers, the oven can come in handy.
davidm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #36

Trailer: E 21 2018
We are in the process of finalizing our build sheet for a 21 ft and have opted for no oven or microwave. Most of our camping will be dry/boondocking and we're more interested in the extra storage. Our cooking will be on the burners inside, toaster oven - if we need to, and outside on a campstove.
sehoyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehoyles View Post
We are in the process of finalizing our build sheet for a 21 ft and have opted for no oven or microwave. Most of our camping will be dry/boondocking and we're more interested in the extra storage. Our cooking will be on the burners inside, toaster oven - if we need to, and outside on a campstove.
We too have opted out of the oven and microwave on our last 2 of our 4 Escapes, our first one had a micro and the second an oven, and both went unused. We love to cook outside on a portable stove or a campfire. In the winter, we always have hookups and crock pots are our method of choice. I'd say the Escape stove is our least used appliance. It's funny, but cooking outside is like a sign for others to come over and chat and have a bite to eat..like a welcome mat was put out......and the beer is always cold.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #38

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It's funny, but cooking outside is like a sign for others to come over and chat and have a bite to eat..like a welcome mat was put out......and the beer is always cold.
Somewhere I read that carrying and setting up a couple extra chairs works the same way.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
As my wife and I get older our days of boondock camping get less & less , and it appears that that trend will continue
When we were in our 20’s , 30’s and 40’s we roughed it not so much for the love of roughing it but because of the economic realities
Now that we are in our LATE 60’s creature comforts are taking precedence
Having a microwave to warm up a quick lunch or an oven to bake a late night pizza or a cooktop to make a batch of soup or stew is worth every penny IMHO
The trailer I would have bought in my 40’s is not the trailer I would buy in my 70’s
When I was younger I could throw a sleeping bag in a pile of rocks and go to sleep now a top of the line mattress doesn’t help
Escape trailer’s last a very long time so when ordering a new one I would look farther down the road when picking options .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
No oven or cooktop

In 30 years of camping we had never used the oven or stove top in our campers. We either grill outside or use the microwave. So we deleted the stove top and didn't add the oven when we built our 19. The 19 has precious little counter space, so we love the additional counter space in place of the stove top! To each his own though. It really depends how you cook when you camp.
chuckwhanson is offline   Reply With Quote