Trailer prowl - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The point of any security decal, sticker or placard is usually for passive security. It's ridiculous to think someone would use an "all electronics removed" decal while camping and that wasn't the point. It was used during storage, offsite and for months on end.

I don't see it as any different than a single, solo woman putting a pair of large men's shoes or boots outside her RV door or a dog bowl for a big dog. Even if there's no man in the trailer and the owner doesn't own a dog.

Frankly, I think any 'security' is better than no security. Especially if it's cheap and adds to an owner/travelers comfort level. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

I don't see it as any different than a single, solo woman putting a pair of large men's shoes or boots outside her RV door or a dog bowl for a big dog. Even if there's no man in the trailer and the owner doesn't own a dog.

V

Garth Brooks: “Whatcha gonna do with a cowboy, when he don’t saddle up and ride away?”

Donna D: “Take his boots”

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Garth Brooks: “Whatcha gonna do with a cowboy, when he don’t saddle up and ride away?”

Donna D: “Take his boots”
Yep.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
It seems that these battery-powered window/door alarms would also work for hatches and be of value in some situations. If one is averse to ordering through Amazon, I believe Home Depot stocks them:
https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...w-alarm-2-pack
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 17A
I first read your post as "beer repellant"!
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
One of my old roommates used to carry a grocery bag full of empty PBR cans and spent 12 gauge shotgun shells. He'd spread them out near the door whenever he left for a while.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's ridiculous to think someone would use an "all electronics removed" decal while camping and that wasn't the point. It was used during storage, offsite and for months on end.
Okay, now I understand the intent. Does the owner of that trailer peel the adhesive decal off at the beginning of each season of RV use, and replace it each time it is stored long-term? Seems like a hassle to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Okay, now I understand the intent. Does the owner of that trailer peel the adhesive decal off at the beginning of each season of RV use, and replace it each time it is stored long-term? Seems like a hassle to me.
Don't know Brian. And since I don't camp with them, have zero clue if it just stays on year around. I do know the RV isn't parked next to mine in the storage yard... it's winter, they headed south!

There's a decal adhesive called Oracal 631, which is temporary. It's higher strength than window cling, and while easily removable, isn't reusable. But decals such as this one are typically about $5 each. IF the owner only uses the decal for the long term storage, $5 once a year is cheap passive 'security.'
Old 01-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
It seems that these battery-powered window/door alarms would also work for hatches and be of value in some situations. If one is averse to ordering through Amazon, I believe Home Depot stocks them:
https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...w-alarm-2-pack
Heck, I found it easier to install a hard wired alarm system. It runs off my batteries. I must be the only one with a built-in security system. I'm confident if someone pries a door open they won't hang around and folks a long way away will hear the siren.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #30

I would hate to be sleeping in our 21' and have one of those alarms go off on the hatch right under the bed! Reminds me of a friend who thought he'd like to wake up to the smell of fresh brewed coffee right there in his bedroom. So he bought one of those fancy grind-and-brew coffee makers for the bedroom. The first time that grinder went off (they make a ton of noise), his wife threw him and the coffeemaker out of the bedroom!
Old 01-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I used the Grind and Brew once and returned it.
Grinder woke me up and the steam from brewing caused the grinder to get clogged up. Real pain to clean.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:04 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I would hate to be sleeping in our 21' and have one of those alarms go off on the hatch right under the bed!
My alarm is primarily for when the trailer is left for the day, especially in areas where no fellow campers can see it.

I've never felt the need to sleep with it armed but if I did and it was triggered in the night and woke me up because someone was trying to pry a door etc. open I might be shocked awake but I'd be glad that it did its' job.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:24 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
My business was broken into about a week ago, we were just happy they did not trash the place. They stole a few Mac monitors and two Mac laptops but as of Saturday had not turned them back on because they would ping there location. We have bad video of them carrying the stuff out.
My Escape and the Casita I sold my business partner were both in our warehouse. I lock the Escape even when its inside the building but the Casita door was unlocked and they did go through it but he did not think they took anything because nothing in it really to take, the Escape best I can tell they left it alone.
I like Ron's idea of a hard wired security system but until I'm boondocking more don't think its something I need now. I also agree motion sensor lights are a good idea, most criminals like to work in the dark.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:40 AM   #34

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Steve, out of curiosity, why is the video so bad? I see a lot of pictures on the news of suspects but the quality is so bad you couldn't tell if it was your brother. Are the camera just for insurance reasons and not really to catch someone?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Steve, out of curiosity, why is the video so bad? I see a lot of pictures on the news of suspects but the quality is so bad you couldn't tell if it was your brother. Are the camera just for insurance reasons and not really to catch someone?
Even on Blue Bloods they seem to find a wrist tattoo on a suspect across the street??
Old 01-28-2019, 07:15 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used one of these motion detectors in my Eggcamper when it was stored outside of my yard, worked the way it was supposed to. Perhaps install one in the storage compartment?

https://www.amazon.com/UniquExceptio...+alarm+systems
Attached Thumbnails
21f-jfL5xSL.jpg  
Old 01-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'm not answering for Steve, but I do know there is a wide variety of quality in security cameras and digital video recorders, and many camera models struggle especially with resolution in infrared (IR) night vision mode. When I was looking to upgrade our home security system, I asked a few commercial businesses what kind of security cameras and DVR they used, and their initial response was usually suspicion that I was casing them. So I quickly stopped doing that!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We dealt with two different lock and key businesses when I was working. They both installed security systems. One day a quitting time I went down there to get some keys cut. It was about 5 PM. I walked in and soon figured out they had left for the day and forgot to lock the front door. I called the police and then waited around for the owner to show up. We still laugh about that. I could ask him about his security system and he’d tell me, for some reason he trusts me.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-28-2019, 08:28 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The quick answers to video surveillance systems are...don’t buy anything with less than 4mp (megapixel) cameras and purchase from Costco on line so you can return it easily once opened.

Over the years I have had a few systems and the price point for the technology has dropped to where you really can’t afford not to have one. Like I said 4mp should be the lowest camera rating to consider but 4K (8mp) is not that much more money. Careful when shopping because sometimes $30 more will get you 2 extra $80 cameras. Even if you don’t plan on using them they make great decoys until you have to replace one that has failed. I use the 16 camera systems that have wires to each camera which are for power and video signal. Prices are in Canadian dollars.

All the pictures below are screen shots from my iPad. The quality of the picture recorded on the hard drive is better, I just did not think the high res would post. Remember if you get a 4K (8mp) camera system it is not much good if you don’t have a 4K tv to watch it on.
The night shot of the trailer is taken in no light. There are no lights on that side of the house and you would not be able to find the key hole. I had to use the camera in the link as it has fewer LEDs to light up the area. Normal cameras with many LEDs are a little to bright with the white trailer.

Here are some quick tips and points to consider that I have learned over the years:

Always protect a camera with a view from another camera.

Set your system up on the floor before installing it to make sure it works.

Plug and un plug many times to see that it does not lose its mind when the power goes out and you’re away.

I have never tried wireless cameras but something you check into is that they may still require a power wire.

Think of a secure spot in the center of your house to locate the recording unit so that all wires can reach.

If the recording unit is not hidden then it could be stolen which defeats the whole purpose.

Extra 4mp or 5mp cameras can be purchased for as low as $40.

A 5mp camera will not work on a 4mp system/recorder.

Dome cameras, like in the link below, are much harder to knock off the wall than bullet cameras.

You can hide your wires behind eave troughs and down spouts.

Never get rid of an old unit...use it as a decoy if someone demands your recording system at the front door.

The camera at the door should not have a bright night light or the persons face will just be a white blob.

Mount the cameras out of spray paint can reach but not so high as to only see the top of ones hat.

All systems will let you see one or more of your cameras remotely, wherever there is internet.

All cameras are recording all the time but an event only sticks in the machine if it sees motion.

The recorded event can give you up to 15 seconds before the camera sees motion.

You can block out/mask a part of the screen that has constant motion to save recording space.

When the hard drive is full it overrights.

In some machines you can add an extra hard drive...Western Digital makes one that will handle 16 cameras at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
525492F7-030A-46C7-95AE-92A495F4D8DC.jpg   4D8F2E05-D232-4298-963B-B35938CFC0D7.jpg   9FFEDADB-81BA-4DD0-96FA-9229AF49CE41.jpg   B9CB20F4-0F16-466C-B0E6-6F47948F2776.jpg   330E7765-C84D-44F9-8795-A4E6722F768A.jpg  

FD12E3DA-B3C7-4716-8A21-A50FCC74310D.jpg   DB727BD5-A2BC-4920-9A7C-A901711991CF.jpg   5134A5BC-E20C-42D0-B184-08BD73BBAA79.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks EGGSCAPE for posting this information. I was going to buy such as system not so much to protect our Escape 21 or property, but to capture the low lifes prowling our street at night and stealing from vehicles. Ours are safely stashed in the garage and the trailer is less vulnerable beside our house. So, instead I helped a friend at the end of the street (he is my co-captain in the Blockwatch program) install a Swann 4K system (4 cameras). Our surprise is how bold the criminals are despite knowing there are video cameras. They seem to recognize that as long as they don't venture onto property, the infrared video images on the street don't give clear enough images of faces. And license plate numbers are even worse by IR. I would be interested in getting some advice from you (EGGSCAPE/Ed) on our system, which is probably similar to yours. I will PM you with a request.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote