Uneven tire wear - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2021, 06:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
RTFM seems to work.
As it usually does.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #22
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I wouldn't say "compensated" (prevented the issue from being a problem); I would say "masked" (made it difficult for you to notice).
Yes, indeed! Thank you for explaining this better! - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Glad you got everything squared up. It’s a good feeling to know the axles, bearings, brakes, tire tread and tire inflation are working in concert. With the TPMS, keeping track of your trailer miles rolled, tire rotation and brake and bearing service at reasonable intervals you can operate with confidence, a minimum of calamities and unnecessary costs. A lot to be said for competent maintenance and thorough understanding that about anyone can learn.
All the best this coming camping season.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-15-2021, 09:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Just thought we'd pass long an update on our uneven tire wear here. Last month as I was washing our trailer I noticed that we had yet another scalloped tire...'Not again?!' I thought. So now we had 2 scalloped tires (the scalloped tire from last year, in the same location, got demoted to our spare tire.) However, now we were not only concerned about possible malfunctioning brakes but the possibility of a bent axle?? Ugh...

So, we decided to call around and found a RV service center (with good reviews) nearby. He put our trailer up on a lift and discovered that all of our brakes were set way off, all set differently which resulted in only one tire that was effectively braking and locking up, causing uneven wear to that one wheel! Tdf-texas, you were right, it was a braking issue!!! (Now I know, Les Schwab did NOT adjust our brakes when they repacked our wheel bearings last year! ) He then measured and confirmed that our axles and brakes looked good otherwise (phew!!!) So he did a complete brake adjustment and test and now all 4 brakes work equallyl! Oh, what a relief it is.... And we finally got our axle serial number!

While at it, we decided to replace not just the 2 uneven/scalloped tires but all 5 tires with GoodYear Endurance tires. BTW Thanks to those of you who posted here about switching to Good Year Endurance tires recently in a different thread. Feeling good about this upgrade. And thanks to whoever posted about switching to metal stems. Now our TPMS nobs screw tightly onto the metal stems, and no longer moves around with all that centrifugal force. We would have never known about this, if not for this forum!

In hindsight, now we are feeling very grateful that we didn't camp very much this past year, with only 1 trailer wheel/brake working at the time. Yikes. No wonder I had skidded and burned rubber a few times! I'm amazed I didn't feel the trailer pulling one way when I braked. Our WDH and dual axles must've compensated for that...

For those of you getting new trailers soon, we suggest you regularly inspect your tires/treads and when it comes time for brake/wheel bearing maintenance, that you either do your own maintenance or take it to a (RV) place that truly knows and works on trailers/RVs. Don't just take their word for it, like we did. Again, truly thankful for this wonderful group! Cheers, -Bea
I'm glad you have your trailer braking / tire problem taken care of.

After going back and reading my previous post to you, I have to apologize for sounding so crass with my response.

Something that still sticks in my mind was when an old marine drill sargent summed up my personality in one quote. "Tom, you have no patience with the fools of this world." He's right - the idiots that worked on your trailer at Les Schwab would still be remembering me long after I got finished with them.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
We live in Delta, British Columbia. Looking for a recommended RV Service center close to us. Thanks
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #26

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
So, we decided to call around and found a RV service center (with good reviews) nearby. He put our trailer up on a lift and discovered that all of our brakes were set way off, all set differently which resulted in only one tire that was effectively braking and locking up, causing uneven wear to that one wheel! Tdf-texas, you were right, it was a braking issue!!! (Now I know, Les Schwab did NOT adjust our brakes when they repacked our wheel bearings last year! ) He then measured and confirmed that our axles and brakes looked good otherwise (phew!!!) So he did a complete brake adjustment and test and now all 4 brakes work equallyl! Oh, what a relief it is.... And we finally got our axle serial number!
Does your camper have the automatic brake adjusters, or are they adjusted manually?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 03-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #27
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Glad you got everything squared up. It’s a good feeling to know the axles, bearings, brakes, tire tread and tire inflation are working in concert. With the TPMS, keeping track of your trailer miles rolled, tire rotation and brake and bearing service at reasonable intervals you can operate with confidence, a minimum of calamities and unnecessary costs. A lot to be said for competent maintenance and thorough understanding that about anyone can learn.
All the best this coming camping season.
Iowa Dave
Thanks Dave! And the same to you and Rita! May we all have a better camping season this year! -Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I'm glad you have your trailer braking / tire problem taken care of.

After going back and reading my previous post to you, I have to apologize for sounding so crass with my response.

Something that still sticks in my mind was when an old marine drill sargent summed up my personality in one quote. "Tom, you have no patience with the fools of this world." He's right - the idiots that worked on your trailer at Les Schwab would still be remembering me long after I got finished with them.
Oh my...you are too kind. No apology needed! Did not see it that way at all. I so respect you and all your knowledge and welcome any advice, knowledge or comments you care to share! Pretty sure I speak for others here, as well. BTW thank you for your service! -Bea
Old 03-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Bea, would you mind messaging me with the name of that repair shop? I am also in NorCal. Or you can put it here if you like. Thanks very much.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #29
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Does your camper have the automatic brake adjusters, or are they adjusted manually?

Thanks,

Perry
Nope, no automatic brake adjusters. We have to manually adjust our brakes. Can't tell you how many times I watched that You Tube video on how to adjust the brakes but just could't figure out what exactly that guy was doing with that screwdriver or tool behind the wheel. So...it was time for the pros. Doesn't seem all that hard, so someday I'd like to learn how to do it myself. I also read conflicting things about the automatic brake adjusters. Would be interested if anyone has switched to those and how they like them. -Bea
Old 03-16-2021, 02:48 PM   #30
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Bea, would you mind messaging me with the name of that repair shop? I am also in NorCal. Or you can put it here if you like. Thanks very much.
Sure! We went to Almaden RV Service & Repair in San Jose. At first they said it would be a 4-6 week wait for service, but when I described our 'signs and symptoms' , they squeezed me in the next day. Very grateful. -Bea
Old 03-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Nope, no automatic brake adjusters. We have to manually adjust our brakes. Can't tell you how many times I watched that You Tube video on how to adjust the brakes but just could't figure out what exactly that guy was doing with that screwdriver or tool behind the wheel. So...it was time for the pros. Doesn't seem all that hard, so someday I'd like to learn how to do it myself. I also read conflicting things about the automatic brake adjusters. Would be interested if anyone has switched to those and how they like them. -Bea
Bea - I am very disappointed in reading your experience with the brake adjustment I too watched the videos and thought that's one thing I could do! Maybe I need to rethink that idea...
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:57 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Bea - I am very disappointed in reading your experience with the brake adjustment I too watched the videos and thought that's one thing I could do! Maybe I need to rethink that idea...
Or not. One YouTube video was not clear; that doesn't mean that the job is necessarily difficult. You may just need a better description.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #33
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to burst your bubble...but as Brian indicates, the videos I watched failed to convince me of the proper procedure. Thus, did not even attempt it. As an RN felt like I was watching a tutorial on a procedure and they said, "just do 'this' with the scalpel (behind the screen). OK, go." Nope, not doin' it. On the other hand, if you are mechanically inclined, (we are not) looks to be a relatively 'do-able' job, I think... Then again, that's what I love about 'glamping' - always something to learn!!! -Bea
Old 03-16-2021, 09:56 PM   #34

No worries! We are the kind who hire a handyman for anything requiring more than a screwdriver. The brake adjustment looked like a screwdriver might be sufficient...

PS: There are several videos out there. I only watched them as I thought one needed to adjust the brakes at 200 miles and 3000 miles. With the 200 miles coming in the middle of our return trip after picking up, I was going to give it a try...
Old 03-17-2021, 12:11 AM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We have a trailer-aid ramp for changing tires and it makes it easy to adjust the brakes right in your campsite. Of course you have to have the truck hooked up. Get a standard brake adjusting tool and a standard screwdriver one should work and turn the star wheel until the tire won’t turn and then turn it the other way until the tire spins free wit only a slight noise of the shoes lightly touching the drum occasionally if at all. Usually four or five clicks.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Just thought we'd pass long an update on our uneven tire wear here. Last month as I was washing our trailer I noticed that we had yet another scalloped tire...'Not again?!'

Make sure you remember to follow the re torquing guidelines at 100 miles and then again at 250 miles. 95 pounds of torque (use star pattern). 50 pounds of pressure (psi) in the tire is what Reace suggests in a video.

I think that (100 then 250) is what Escape advises. I had to do it twice.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
We have a trailer-aid ramp for changing tires and it makes it easy to adjust the brakes right in your campsite. Of course you have to have the truck hooked up. Get a standard brake adjusting tool and a standard screwdriver one should work and turn the star wheel until the tire won’t turn and then turn it the other way until the tire spins free wit only a slight noise of the shoes lightly touching the drum occasionally if at all. Usually four or five clicks.
A quick question - You need to have the truck hooked up to move the ramp? Or something else?
Old 03-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Trailer Aid is a stand alone tire ramp for working on the other wheel of a tandem set up...
Trailer-Aid fix your trailers flat tire without a jack, so yes if you want to work on any other wheel it needs to be moved.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:34 AM   #39

Thanks Jim! That’s what I thought. I have bought a rapid jack which works on the same idea. I just wanted to rule out the need to engage truck’s break during the trailer brake adjustment process.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I used to adjust brakes, now most are self adjusting, one would just spin the tire manually and then stop the rotation with your hands.....