Unobtainable Control Module Failures - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2022, 05:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Unobtainable Control Module Failures

In January of this year, the Engine Control Module in my 2016 GMC Canyon Diesel failed. My GM dealer could not get a replacement part. In March I lost patience and ordered the part on Ebay and the dealer installed it. In April the part finally came in from GM but I didn’t need it.

Last week, while 1,500 miles from home in northern Michigan, we had a failure in the Diesel Exhaust Fluid system that threatened to seriously limit my speed if I didn’t get it fixed soon. We took the truck to a GM dealer in Cheboygan who replaced the in-tank pump-heater assembly and I drove to Toledo. While there the failure returned, and we took the truck to a GM dealer there. He diagnosed it to the part that had already been replaced, or the Control Module for the DEF system, which is not available. They agreed to replace the pump-heater assembly again, but that did not solve the problem.

We had to leave our truck and beloved Escape in Toledo and drive back to Texas in a rental car. It seems likely that we will have to go back in October to winterize it. I have scoured the internet and cannot find the part anywhere.

My questions for the forum are:
  1. I have had two electronic modules fail in six months. I believe the Go Power Solar Controller has a boost mode of 14.4 volts. Is it possible that when the trailer is connected to the truck that this voltage is causing failures? Is anyone else seeing these kinds of failures?
  2. Is anyone else experiencing exhaust system failures in a diesel Canyon?
  3. Is anyone else stuck at home because they can’t get parts for their tow vehicle?
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Gary - I can't offer any comment on your GMC issue, but if this evolves to a point where you at least want to bring your 5.0 back to Haslet before weather gets icy up north ... keep me in mind and drop me a PM, I might be able / will try to help with that.

Sincerely wishing you the best of luck with the truck.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post

1. I have had two electronic modules fail in six months. I believe the Go Power Solar Controller has a boost mode of 14.4 volts. Is it possible that when the trailer is connected to the truck that this voltage is causing failures? Is anyone else seeing these kinds of failures?
Just a general observation, not specific to your issues.

Automobile alternators produce a "dirty" form of DC. Because this is well known, any electronics designed for car/truck use are usually over engineered to withstand high voltage spikes that easily could exceed 18 Volts. In addition, if the 14.4 made it back to your truck, the battery would be absorbing that power. Bottom line, I would not suspect the Go Power controller.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
even my 2002 Ford diesel truck's alternator outputs 14.4V for awhile after a start once the initially starter drain on the batteries is fully recharged... eventually it drops back to maybe 13.6V. this is totally normal charging behavior, its known as the 'absorption phase' in a smart charging system.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
My 2016 diesel canyon recently suffered a turbocharger failure, 3000 miles past the warranty. Dealer says they have no idea when they can get one. I contacted GM and they agreed to try and expedite the parts. It's been 2 weeks now since the parts were ordered and still no word. Truck sits idle in my garage.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:49 AM   #6

Thank you all for your replies and advice.

Thank you Alan for your offer, I did send you a PM.

Stephen, when you contacted GM, who did you talk to?
Old 07-21-2022, 12:20 PM   #7

I fired off an email to mary.barra@gm.com
Old 07-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0
The situation you’re in is why I changed my mind on getting a class C…
I would consider doing a trade in about now, take the hit and move on.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Thank you Alan for your offer, I did send you a PM.
Replied to PM, would like to help if even just with a contingency plan.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
The situation you’re in is why I changed my mind on getting a class C…
I would consider doing a trade in about now, take the hit and move on.
The thought has crossed my mind...
Old 07-21-2022, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I fired off an email to mary.barra@gm.com
Thank you. I sent her an email, and will see what happens.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Replied to PM, would like to help if even just with a contingency plan.
And I can't thank you enough!
Old 07-22-2022, 01:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
In January of this year, the Engine Control Module in my 2016 GMC Canyon Diesel failed. My GM dealer could not get a replacement part. In March I lost patience and ordered the part on Ebay and the dealer installed it. In April the part finally came in from GM but I didn’t need it.

Last week, while 1,500 miles from home in northern Michigan, we had a failure in the Diesel Exhaust Fluid system that threatened to seriously limit my speed if I didn’t get it fixed soon. We took the truck to a GM dealer in Cheboygan who replaced the in-tank pump-heater assembly and I drove to Toledo. While there the failure returned, and we took the truck to a GM dealer there. He diagnosed it to the part that had already been replaced, or the Control Module for the DEF system, which is not available. They agreed to replace the pump-heater assembly again, but that did not solve the problem.

We had to leave our truck and beloved Escape in Toledo and drive back to Texas in a rental car. It seems likely that we will have to go back in October to winterize it. I have scoured the internet and cannot find the part anywhere.

3. Is anyone else stuck at home because they can’t get parts for their tow vehicle?
As far as the voltage causing a problem, I have a feeling that I am having an issue with my setup possibly causing an electrical issue with my truck.
I have a 2018 F150 5.0 and my 21 C has 2 solar panels on it. I have an intermittent trouble with my Air Conditioner in our F150 at times where it will cause the AC to all of a sudden slow down the fan and stop working. It has only happened when towing, never when not towing but I don't put on a lot of miles not towing.
I bought a diode I am going to install just to check and see if somehow too much voltage is feeding back into the truck.
Went camping last week, 2 hour drive each way and before travelling I shut off the solar and had no issues.
I have to figure out where to install the diode as I dont think I can put it under the dinette seat as I believe that power is back fed to the emergency brake and the power jack at the front, I haven't looked at it yet.
Long story short, I am guessing there might be a problem and figure a $20 diode is a cheap fix if that is the issue, it it isn't then no big loss.
Hope you find out your problem.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:28 AM   #14

My email to Mary Barra resulted in a return phone call the next day from a representative of the Executive Resolution Team with an offer to expedite the shipment of parts as well as several hundred dollars toward the repair or $2000 toward a trade in. Sometimes going right to the top works.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
My email to Mary Barra resulted in a return phone call the next day from a representative of the Executive Resolution Team with an offer to expedite the shipment of parts as well as several hundred dollars toward the repair or $2000 toward a trade in. Sometimes going right to the top works.
All about having a can-do attitude…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
These kinds of issues with domestic trucks (I was a Ford mechanic for 18 years) is why I tow with a Toyota.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:

I read your post with interest and forwarded it to a friend, who has 3 diesel trucks, two of which are late-model Ford F350s. Here is his response:
"The DEF systems suck. I have replaced the heaters on both trucks."

Perhaps the GM engineers (and Ford engineers, for that matter) might try to address the matter. For some food for thought, back track to the early 1960s and check out "The Waste Makers" by Vance Packard.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OVHF8K...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

"An exposé of "the systematic attempt of business to make us wasteful, debt-ridden, permanently discontented individuals," The Waste Makers is Vance Packard's pioneering 1960 work on how the rapid growth of disposable consumer goods was degrading the environmental, financial, and spiritual character of American society.

The Waste Makers was the first book to probe the increasing commercialization of American life—the development of consumption for consumption's sake. Packard outlines the ways manufacturers and advertisers persuade consumers to buy things they don't need and didn't know they wanted, including the two-of-a-kind of everything syndrome—"two refrigerators in every home"—and appeals to purchase something because it is more expensive, or because it is painted in a new color. The book also brought attention to the concept of planned obsolescence, in which a "death date" is built into products so that they wear out quickly and need to be replaced. By manipulating the public into mindless consumerism, Packard believed that business was making us "more wasteful, imprudent, and carefree in our consuming habits," which was using up our natural resources at an alarming rate.

A prescient book that predicted the rise of American consumer culture, this all new edition of The Waste Makers features an introduction by best-selling author Bill McKibben.

Vance Packard (1914-1996) was an American journalist, social critic, and best-selling author. Among his other books were The Hidden Persuaders, about how advertisers use psychological methods to get people to buy the products they sell; The Status Seekers, which describes American social stratification and behavior; and The Naked Society, about the threats to privacy posed by new technologies.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:59 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Vance Packard

Like many older adults on this site, we had a paperback book sale flyer about every month in my junior high school. My English teacher told me she thought I’d enjoy Vance Packards “The Waste Makers” and that if I’d read it and do a report on it she’d buy it for me to read. So She did and I did. I was fascinated by the contents and went on to read everything I could get my hands on by Packard.

Then a few years later I had an excellent English instructor at Iowa State who taught the course Propaganda Analysis. I thoroughly enjoyed that course and both of these experiences were at least Appalachian high points in my education.

My dad had a 1950 Buick that he bought in about 1961 or 62. That’s when I learned that automakers had to provide parts for a model year for 10 years. When Buick went away from the “Straight Eight” my dad went down and got some parts that would no longer be necessarily available.

A number of people did this, and that’s why I have a New Delco-Remy generator for an early fifties Chrysler product in my garage shop to this day. I earned it by cutting off a huge overhanging limb for my neighbor who no longer had the car.and was tighter than the bark on that tree. I never said I was real savvy. And the hoarding started
Iowa Dave
Old 07-22-2022, 09:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
I have to figure out where to install the diode as I dont think I can put it under the dinette seat as I believe that power is back fed to the emergency brake and the power jack at the front,

No reason you couldn't put the diode in the power line going to the plug on the vehicle. Might involve crawling under the vehicle. Or to stay clean and upright, find the correct fuse and install it in the engine compartment.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
No reason you couldn't put the diode in the power line going to the plug on the vehicle. Might involve crawling under the vehicle. Or to stay clean and upright, find the correct fuse and install it in the engine compartment.
I was thinking that also. Either at the junction box at the front of the trailer or on the truck.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote