woe of registration - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #31

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
(snip) Then called Sitka as I was feeling warmed up ..... same story but the young clerk did mention that if my trailer was registered in any other state they could issue me plates without having to see my trailer and causing me a lot of expense. When I mentioned that I could bring in my Temp. registration from Wash State ... she said ...No! and then started crying. Sobbing so hard that I couldn't understand her ... something about "I already told you" ... then sobbing really hard. I had to hang up .... and I was thinking how hard it must be to work for DMV.

Tom
Wow, she must really not like Washington State at all. Maybe she's a big Seahawks fan and they had just lost.

You also have to consider how much your time is worth if you have to haul it AK and back. What a PITA.

I'm hoping that since so many Escapes have been sold in WA state that it'll be really easy when we go to register it. Fingers crossed!

Old 01-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #32
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Every state is different of course, but here in Texas the requirements do not include a safety inspection unless the trailer's dry weight is over 4000 lbs.
That might have been the case for you, but as I said in post #2 of this thread - as of three weeks ago, the Auto Theft Task Force inspection is not enough in Texas. They require a safety inspection as well - and I reported the weight of my trailer (fully loaded at time of weight) as 3800lbs.

xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56farmerjohn View Post
Yet another California DMV tale.... I picked my 17A in June , 2015.. Towed it down to Socal using temp Washington paper tag... Decided to delay the registration due to the 2675.00 that they were going to demand for taxes, penalties etc. Secured an appointment with the DMV in October, took all of my Escape paperwork to them , once there you must check in for your appointment, Two lines of folks, one employee, probably a half-hour wait to check in.. next you are shuffled off to another room where you wait until your number is called ,you go to the appropriate window so that the clerk can process your paperwork.. Clerk seems to not understand what the Escape is . His computer only has pop-up trailers as travel trailers.. Back and forth he travels to his Sup. ... Took a good Hour to finally get this accomplished.. I paid my 2675.00, thought I was through.. But noooo!! Seems I have to bring the Escape to the DMV for Verification.. So must come back and get trailer verified, Come back ,towing trailer through parking lot to rear of DMV.. Verifier finally comes out, starts asking questions , origin, length, weight,looks inside of trailer, disappears into the building, comes back out with tape measure to measure the width of the trailer.. Finally , he seems to be done , gives me back my paper work, now must park T.V. and Escape blocks away(no onsite parking).. Come back into DMV , stand in another line, receive metal plates and temp. registration.. But wait there is more to come
Very similar . Looks like nothing has changed . 3 DMV trips about 8-81/2 hours total at DMV , waiting time for us . Don't forget they laid off people and cut their hours down . Luckily let us move trailer on side of building . Just had to wait another 3 months to be legal and another 6 months to get 52.00 over payment from check on fees . Keep AAA just to not have to go to DMV again . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Laura - it was a piece of cake - in fact got our plates in Mt Vernon a day after it was brought across the border. We purchased a temporary license (good for 3 days) in Spokane ahead of time with the paperwork Tammy had sent. Only glitch we ran into is that they didn't take a credit card and we had left the check book at home!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Importing and registering a USED trailer gets even more complicated. Digits have been known to disappear from the bill of sale for such convoluted, expensive registration procedures.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
That might have been the case for you, but as I said in post #2 of this thread - as of three weeks ago, the Auto Theft Task Force inspection is not enough in Texas. They require a safety inspection as well - and I reported the weight of my trailer (fully loaded at time of weight) as 3800lbs.
It's actually 4500 lbs Gross weight, as another poster corrected earlier. They tried to get us to do a safety inspection too - until I handed them a form VTR 141 with the following language on it:

"A travel trailer or park model trailer .... is required to pass a Texas Safety Inspection if the gross weight of the travel trailer exceeds 4,500 lbs., before it may be titled or registered in Texas."

There's no requirement for trailers under 4500 lbs. If they "made" you do it anyway, they weren't following the law. Lastly, the weight is determined by what's on the MCOO - not an owner declared weight.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:38 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 15A
Any helpful suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Importing and registering a USED trailer gets even more complicated. Digits have been known to disappear from the bill of sale for such convoluted, expensive registration procedures.
My husband and I are about to become the proud second owners of a 15A, but this thread has me concerned about transporting our new baby home with the proper tags, temporary or otherwise. I have spent a good part of the afternoon trying to get a straight answer out of the Alaska DMV (shaking head). Any relevant suggestions?
Travelhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
Where are you picking up your trailer? (Congratulations, by the way.)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhappy View Post
My husband and I are about to become the proud second owners of a 15A, but this thread has me concerned about transporting our new baby home with the proper tags, temporary or otherwise. I have spent a good part of the afternoon trying to get a straight answer out of the Alaska DMV (shaking head). Any relevant suggestions?
Welcome to the club!

You do not say where the trailer is currently registered. Canada or another state? The problem is usually with first owners and usually because of importation from Canada.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
I helped a friend buy a used Scamp in Ontario, Canada last year. Exchanged the US cash for Canadian at the border, went with the owner to an Ontario equivalent of the DMV to sign over the registration & buy a temporary tag for around $20.00.

At the border handed the US side a pre filled out 7510 form, and 5 minutes (and no charges) later we were in the US. Registered at the nearest DMV, and had to pay sales tax & registration fee, got the plate.

While it may be more difficult in other states, this was NY.