2wd trucks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2023, 01:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post

But when selling, not many people wanted to buy it. So, I guess it’s best to just bite the bullet and buy 4 wheel drive!
It's pretty universal, not just in rural areas. When we went to a large Ford dealer to buy our F150 there wasn't a single 2WD available. Acres of 4WD. And this is in a very urban area. Here, even 16 old girls drive their friends to grass hockey in Range Rovers. Hey, the parking lot might have a mud puddle and they might have to use all 4 wheels.

We've been on some pretty rugged forest service roads with our 2WD. The locking differential has probably saved our bacon a couple of times.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 09:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
If you are pulling a 5.0 with a 2WD drive truck I'd like to hear your experiences.

Please 4x4 owners, I know the advantages/disadvantages of 4x4, I just want to hear real life experiences from 2WD drivers.

Thanks.

It really depends on where you think you'll be going with your trailer. I haven't pulled a goose neck. But, for almost 30 yrs I pulled my horse trailers with 2x4s, F150s & a E250 Cargo Van(my Work vehicle). I could load up my rears with 400=500 # & go almost anywhere(on Martha's Vineyard, plenty of snow). So the trailer weight would do that. But, I also never went out when it was crazy(OTHER drivers!). I sold MV property for crazy money & bought a F250 4x4 & travel trailer. Owned the F250 for 14 years(towed for 15=15K miles). Maybe used 4x4 a doz times. Only twice towing, a big trailer up a steep hill on gravel. Once towing a stuck car out in 10" of snow!!(NC.... don't know better). Sold the F250 & now tow with a Toyota PreRunner(2x4). BUT, I'm not going to places I'd need 4x4.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Towed my 21c with a 2004 f150 2wd for 4 years, only once did I wish I had 4 wd. New ram 2500 has 4 wd, used it twice as we were pulling the new rig across country in the middle of winter in at times very snowy conditions. For instance ascending a hill in a campground with a lot of snow on the ground and unhitched in Portland after a winter storm. Glad I have it but I expect to be used very infrequently
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:34 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Wow! 345,000 Miles, 555,000 kilometers for our Canadian friends, is one for record books! I'm assuming you changed the oil a lot.

Did it have the 5.4 or the 4.6 Triton motor?
Willy, It was the 5.4L. Never had any trouble with the engine until the end when the timing chain or something in that area failed. I couldn't find a mechanic that wanted to work on an engine with 345K miles, they all recommended swapping the engine out so I sold the truck to a mechnic who planned to install an engine from a salvaged vehicle. I chained the oil myself every 5K miles. Getting rid of that truck was like losing a trusted friend after 19 years of daily driving, but I've moved on and come to appreicate the 2022 F150 with the 5.0L and the 10 speed transmission. It gets way better gas mileage and has much more power than the 2004.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 11:04 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
Willy, It was the 5.4L. Never had any trouble with the engine until the end when the timing chain or something in that area failed. I couldn't find a mechanic that wanted to work on an engine with 345K miles, they all recommended swapping the engine out so I sold the truck to a mechnic who planned to install an engine from a salvaged vehicle. I chained the oil myself every 5K miles. Getting rid of that truck was like losing a trusted friend after 19 years of daily driving, but I've moved on and come to appreicate the 2022 F150 with the 5.0L and the 10 speed transmission. It gets way better gas mileage and has much more power than the 2004.
That engine died frequently because of oil change neglect. I sold mine with under 100,000 miles to a very lucky owner for a great price, it was not enough truck for my new trailer. However it was very reliable while I had it for 60.000 miles. I wanted a f250 but was unwilling to pay the 7000 over list the dealer wanted. I almost bought a two wheel drive long bed super cab f150 with upgraded payload package and max tow but I waited too long and I missed it. Payload was over 2000 lbs .
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote