4Runner as a tow vehicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #1

Trailer: None yet
4Runner as a tow vehicle

We are considering purchasing a 17B. We are planning to tow it with a Toyota 4Runner but are interested in whether anyone else has done so and if so how successfully.
Mechele Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
What year/engine 4Runner? All 4th and 5th Gen models should have you covered in terms of towing capacity and weight numbers, but performance will depend on other variables like the number people and amount of weight in the vehicle, typical terrain when towing (i.e., frequent mountain passes at altitude?), and personal expectations regarding speed and acceleration.

In general the 4th Gen (2003-09) V8 models are the "best" for towing given the more powerful engine and higher tow capacity. We towed our 19 with a 2009 V6 for a while. It was adequate but felt undergunned here in the Rockies with four people and loaded up for camping. There are other threads on here with people's experiences towing with the 5th Gen, I haven't towed with one of those.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #3

We are planning to buy a new 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road which is a 4.0L V6.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We had a 2017 TRD Off Road and a 2007 Escape 17B. The 4Runner did well around Ontario, lots of power, but lacked power at higher elevations. I used a Eaz Lift Weight Distribution Hitch as the suspension is a little soft. I also used a ScanGauge2 to monitor transmission temps. On a cross country trip through Colorado and Utah I had to pull over 3 times,, it got to 230F but the weather was 90F.

Something to mention, consider your destination. If your heading into the mountains, you lose 3% hp for every 1000’ elevation. When we drove over Loveland Pass we were down 33% hp. You might want a vehicle with a turbo. If you do get the 4Runner, expect to be in third and forth gear west of Denver
Attached Thumbnails
B372D2E6-2C76-438D-9A2A-556A85DEC0E1.jpg  
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechele Wilson View Post
We are planning to buy a new 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road which is a 4.0L V6.
I have a 2020 4Runner TRD Off Road and prior to that a very similarly capable 2011 FJ Cruiser and have towed my 2013 19' and 2013 15B problem free with both. Have towed extensively through the mountains of BC, AB, and the Western USA. On very steep grades, you tend to slow down but I have found that encompasses a very small percent of my overall towing mileage and I do not fret about it, as the non-towing benefits of driving these vehicles more than make up for that minor inconvenience.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:36 PM   #6

There would only be the two of us and a medium dog. Not a lot of gear.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 E19'
The forum Search facility reveals any number of threads pertaining to current 5th Gen 4Runners towing Escape 17's, 19's, and 21's. The general consensus seems to be "No problem" with 17's, "OK" with 19's, and "Adequate" with 21's - admittedly broad strokes but that's pretty much what it looks like to me.

Here are a few links that should keep you busy for a while:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ods-14793.html

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...1-a-12292.html

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...nner-4576.html

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...iser-1722.html

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...7-a-12321.html

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ner-13989.html

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...nce-13422.html

A few things to keep in mind:

Much of what is said in these threads regarding FJ Cruisers (the later ones) carries across to 5th Gen 4Runners - same 1GR-FE Dual VVTi engine and Aisin A750E/F transmission and whatnot, although the FJ is likely lighter, and I'm not sure about differential or transmission ratios being the same;

Be sure to install some way to monitor the transmission fluid temperatures - ScanGauge or TorquePro or whatever;

Keep the RPM's up - torque and power tend to live at the higher end of the curve and the 1GR-FE's are pretty beefy can handle it.

We have now towed our E19 about 20,000 miles (the Pacific Coast and Southwest and finally our 2019 Alaska trip, including some pretty good mountain passes - but nothing like the Rocky Mountains), and have yet to regret for a minute hitching our trailer to our 4Runner. Nor for a minute have we regretted buying the E19 in the first place.

Maybe still wishing for a few pairs of things for the 4Runner: a pair of additional cylinders, a pair of additional transmission ratios, a pair of additional feet of wheelbase (except when off-roading of course).
Old 02-25-2021, 02:08 AM   #8

I traded my 2017 4Runner in on a 2019 Tundra 4.6L. All the numbers said it would do a better job except for one number I overlooked, the rear end ratio. I like to cruise at 110 km/h when towing, in forth, the motor was revving to high and to keep it in fifth, I was doing 118 km/h. The 4 Runner would have actually done a better job. Thankfully I only paid $34K with strong incentives ($25k US) so I traded it in on a gently used 2017 Tundra 5.7L. We'll see how that works out when I get my trailer from hibernation in May.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Our 2011 4Runner - 17B combo has been fine for us in Idaho. 3rd gear required on steeper grades in higher elevations, easily moving along at 3000+ rpm and around 50 mph.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Keep in mind 2'-itis. It happens to many and while we loved our 17B we went for a 21 within a year. The new Highlander got traded for a Yukon. New 4Runners are crazy expensive.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #11
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I traded my 2017 4Runner in on a 2019 Tundra 4.6L. All the numbers said it would do a better job except for one number I overlooked, the rear end ratio. Thankfully I only paid $34K with strong incentives ($25k US) so I traded it in on a gently used 2017 Tundra 5.7L.
Be prepared for a major increase in fuel consumption with the Tundra. I'm sure it'll prove to be a much easier towing experience and a rock solid vehicle.
I find a 30% increase in fuel consumption with the trailer in tow and the truck loaded.
You will be very thankful for the larger fuel tank (except when fueling up) that Toyota started putting in Tundra's in the 2017s and onwards.

FYI...fuel prices due to taxes here on Vancouver Island are north of CDN$1.40/Litre or CDN$5.32/US Gallon . And it's going to get worse when summer demand starts.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Be prepared for a major increase in fuel consumption with the Tundra. I'm sure it'll prove to be a much easier towing experience and a rock solid vehicle.
I find a 30% increase in fuel consumption with the trailer in tow and the truck loaded.
You will be very thankful for the larger fuel tank (except when fueling up) that Toyota started putting in Tundra's in the 2017s and onwards.

FYI...fuel prices due to taxes here on Vancouver Island are north of CDN$1.40/Litre or CDN$5.32/US Gallon . And it's going to get worse when summer demand starts.
I don't worry about the cost of fuel to much. I rarely drive my truck to work, I drive my Rav4. I think it's cheaper in the long run. The guys I work with just spent $1000's of dollars on repairs on air suspension, turbos, knock sensors, Toyotas are pretty reliable, but thirsty.

The 4Runner, I love those, I had 2 but need a truck.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:22 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Does the new 4Runner have a 4.0L again? I thought back around 2016 they went from the 4.0 to a higher reving 3.6 or something, better fuel economy but less low end torque.

a 4runner has soft rear suspension and likely will be much happier riding when heavy if you put airbags under the back end. these let you run soft for normal day to day use (probably 5psi), but pump them up to 30 or 40 PSI for max loads to keep the vehicle level and riding well. I did this on my Tacoma and it made a world of difference. I just inflated them with a bike pump, it doesn't take much air.

a 4runner has much the same drive train as a Tacoma, with only the rear end differing significantly, I loved my 08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Offroad except the gas tank was just too small, and the payload was on the light side, too. First thing I did when I got it was to dump the cheap original tires and install LT rated BFG KO2's in the stock size, these made it awesome offroad for my admittedly casual usage, good on anything other than deep mud or sand.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have towed Escapes with my FJ Cruiser in the past, no issues, but not too good with gas and power. Traded in for my current Ram and it is a better towing setup.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechele Wilson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Does the new 4Runner have a 4.0L again? I thought back around 2016 they went from the 4.0 to a higher reving 3.6 or something, better fuel economy but less low end torque.
Yes, the V6 engine in the 4Runner has been the 4.0 L 1GR-FE since 2003, and still is. John, you're probably thinking of the Tacoma, which had the 1GR-FE from 2005 through 2015, but then switched to the 3.5 L 2GR-FKS, a more advanced but lower-displacement member of the same engine family. The 1GR-FE is the original engine of the family; almost all Toyota and Lexus models have moved on to newer variants, mostly the 2GR-FKS.

Despite complaints, probably mostly related to transmission programming, the newer 3.5 L 2GR-FKS is more efficient and has more power at most speeds than the old 4.0 L 1GR-FE. The 2GR-FKS power/torque curve appears to be "bumpier" (more variation of peak torque with speed), so it might not feel as good, but it can certainly get the job done if you can shift manually or convince the automatic to select the gear needed to get the desired power.

Quote:
a 4runner has much the same drive train as a Tacoma, with only the rear end differing significantly.
It did, but the Tacoma advanced while the 4Runner has become a bit of a dinosaur. They no longer have the same engine (although still in the same family), or the same transmission (Tacoma automatic is a 6-speed while the 4Runner has just about the last 5-speed still in production). The rear axles are different because of the suspension, and even the internals (differential) appear to be different.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... the 4Runner has become a bit of a dinosaur.
OK Yeah - maybe actually a lot of a dinosaur, but nonetheless a big, dumb, lovable lug of a dinosaur IMHO.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
OK Yeah - maybe actually a lot of a dinosaur, but nonetheless a big, dumb, lovable lug of a dinosaur IMHO.
Yep, lots of love for dinosaurs of all kinds.

They go extinct, though, so I wouldn't bet on there being a 4Runner in a few years. SUVs are the currently fashionable thing, but the lack of any powertrain updates to this model in a decade suggest that it will either get a major generational change (think of the new Land Rover "Defender" or Mercedes G-Class versus a real Defender or G-Class)... or die.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #18

I remember the current 4Runner was supposed to end in 2018 but the sales have gone from less than 100,000 units a year to way over 100,000 units a year so they keep building. I guess people love dinosaurs. I love old reliable dinosaurs, I have a Tundra 5.7L current since 2007. I found dinosaurs to be really reliable.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
thats funny, because for much of the generations of tacoma/4runner, the 4Runner had more goodies, and it was the Tacoma that was lagging. Of course, the Tacoma has always had a solid/live rear axle on leaf springs, which is a excellent setup for towing as there's fewer expensive bushings and CV joints to prematurely wear

absolutely my Tacoma became much better behaved under heavy loads and/or when towing after I airbagged it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:21 PM   #20

Quote:
thats funny, because for much of the generations of tacoma/4runner, the 4Runner had more goodies, and it was the Tacoma that was lagging. Of course, the Tacoma has always had a solid/live rear axle on leaf springs, which is a excellent setup for towing as there's fewer expensive bushings and CV joints to prematurely wear.
Yes, the 4Runner is the more "premium" vehicle, and is still ahead in suspension and 4WD system. I suppose 4Runner buyers don't care much about fuel economy, so they don't demand engine and transmission updates.

The 4Runner has a live beam axle (in the rear) too, so it has the same lack of CV joints, although it does have a few more suspension bushings. Are they really expensive? I've never had a vehicle wear out suspension bushings or joints (except the Focus swaybars links, but that was a Ford) but I suppose I've only averaged a quarter million kilometres per vehicle.