5.0 Conventional hitch with a 5.5 foot bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2022, 02:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022
5.0 Conventional hitch with a 5.5 foot bed

Does anyone have a conventional 5th wheel hitch (B&W, Curt, Demco Recon) with a 5.5 foot bed truck? We have a 2022 F-150.

I apologize for yet another post on this subject, but I am overwhelmed and confused.

The hitch installer is saying that I need a slider hitch.

trailer.com told me that the bed of the truck is too small for a slider hitch and I’d have to get a sidewinder kingpin

Trade Masters recommended the Anderson and was not able to offer any traditional alternatives. The person we spoke to there said that the Anderson works with a 5.5 foot bed because of the 8” offset.

Based on the youtube video from Escape showing how to hook up and un-hook the camper, I thought a conventional/traditional hitch would work. Now I am unsure.

This is our first camper/5th wheel and I feel more comfortable using a conventional/traditional hitch because they don’t require an adapter. Is the Anderson the only option with a 5.5 foot bed?
tiedyemargie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 03:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Your installer probably has just never seen an Escape 5th wheel. It is pretty much the only 5th wheel designed for a half ton truck, and specifically to be able to be accommodated by a short bed pickup. Pretty much all other 5th wheels are designed to be pulled by 3/4 or one ton pickups.

The type of hitch doesn't really matter as far as bed length. Plenty of people choose the Andersen primarily because it is lighter and easier to take in and out if you need to remove it from the truck often. Conventional hitches tend to be much heavier - I use one because that's what I was used to and the hitch stays in the truck all the time. But you can definitely tow a 5.0 with an F150 short bed with either style hitch, in fact that is probably the most common tow vehicle in use by 5.0 owners.
Old 03-30-2022, 03:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiedyemargie View Post
Does anyone have a conventional 5th wheel hitch (B&W, Curt, Demco Recon) with a 5.5 foot bed truck?
Based just on posts in this forum, my guess is that the majority of Escape 5.0 & 5.0TA owners use a truck with a 5.5' bed. David explained one reason why this works: the Escape is simply narrower than most fifth-wheel trailers, so it needs less clearance between the trailer and the truck cab for turning.

Quote:
trailer.com told me that the bed of the truck is too small for a slider hitch and I’d have to get a sidewinder kingpin
Whatever you do, please don't use a Sidewinder, which reduces the stability of the rig, and is not necessary.

Quote:
Trade Masters recommended the Anderson and was not able to offer any traditional alternatives. The person we spoke to there said that the Anderson works with a 5.5 foot bed because of the 8” offset.
This is our first camper/5th wheel and I feel more comfortable using a conventional/traditional hitch because they don’t require an adapter. Is the Anderson the only option with a 5.5 foot bed?
The short bed with a conventional 5th wheel hitch normally requires that the hitch is installed further back than the traditional position (which is just ahead of the axle) for adequate turning clearance. The Andersen "Ultimate" system addresses that with built-in offset, but there are conventional fifth-wheel hitches which also incorporate an offset, and the more common solution is simply to mount the brackets on the truck frame further back.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
I tow my 5.0 with an F-150 with a 5.5' bed and a Demco Hijacker hitch.

I ended up installing the rail kit myself after being told by the local trailer shops that they would not install a rail kit on a short bed half ton truck.
I offset the rails toward the tailgate a few inches to allow for a little more clearance between the trailer and back of the truck cab. The center point between the rails where the hitch coupler is located is 35" from the tailgate.
I had to drill 2 holes in the frame to install mounting bolts for the brackets. All the other bolts lined up with existing holes in the frame.

My original plan was to go with the Andersen rail mount hitch but at the time the hitches were back ordered with a 10+ week wait time. I was able to find a like new Demco locally on Craigslist and figured it would do the job until I could get an Andersen.
I've now towed a full season with the Demco and am happy with how the hitch has performed. I'll likely stay with it for a while longer.

No, I cannot turn 90 degrees with this setup but so far have never been in a situation where that sharp a turn was necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch1.jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022
Thank you

Thank you all very much 😊
tiedyemargie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 01:43 PM   #6

Trailer: N/A
I HAVE A jeep gladiator Rubicon and i love it , so i don't want to sell it, I AM wondering if i can town a escape 5.0 with Anderson hitch Installed , if anyone did it before can you share the experience, and if it working for you , thank you
SAMPRIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 03:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMPRIZE View Post
I HAVE A jeep gladiator Rubicon and i love it , so i don't want to sell it, I AM wondering if i can town a escape 5.0 with Anderson hitch Installed , if anyone did it before can you share the experience, and if it working for you , thank you
The Gladiator has a very short cab-to-axle distance, even compared to other mid-sized pickups. The hitch would need to be well behind the axle for the front of the trailer to clear the truck's cab in turns; a full-sized truck can handle that, but a Gladiator would not handle the pin weight that far back well at all.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
First thing is to review your payload. Some of the hitch choices are heavier than the others.

I have a 2021 F150 (not short bed). We use B&W rails and Andersen hitch. Happy with both - and highly recommend B&W.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#5.0 #hitch