5th Wheel Hitch - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Brian, is 48" no trailer lift and 50.5" with lift the number to be looking at when determining height needed for tow vehicle and hitch combination?

I know the 2017 5.0TA is yet to be seen, but imagine it would be much the same as the pin box on current models.
There are two critical heights:
  1. the body and forward frame of the trailer must clear the truck box sides
    This is the height normally provided by Escape in response to queries - I won't quote a number because so many values have been tossed around.
  2. the trailer's pin height must reasonably match the hitch height (with the truck at the height that corresponds to carrying the trailer and cargo load)
    As I recall, commercial trucks typically have a plate height of four feet (48", 1.2 m) off the ground... and most are very similar in height so that nothing has to be adjusted for one truck to tow various trailers. Pickup trucks have much smaller tires (so everything could be lower) and somewhat lower frames, but their fifth-wheel hitches are mounted up on frames to put them about this same height; many people actually tow large RV fifth-wheel trailers with heavy commercial trucks, even though they can't adjust their hitch height (they use the same 2" pin).

This is could be the 48" (no lift) and 50.5" (with lift) height... but it would apply to one position of the two-position pinbox.
I think that the issue for most people is the box side height (they need to raise the trailer to get safe clearance), not the hitch height (which they can adjust).

Quote:
I know the 2017 5.0TA is yet to be seen, but imagine it would be much the same as the pin box on current models.
My guess is that the pin box is likely the same model (since there is no reason to change), but there's no guarantee - the pin box model was changed a couple of years ago, perhaps because the previous model was no longer available. The pin box model doesn't matter much, because they are all interchangeable from the point of view of the hitch, but they do come in different lengths and with different degrees of adjustment. The previous model (Atwood AB34) had one more position of adjustment.

While it seems reasonable to me to expect the new 5.0TA to be similar to the current model in height, it is a whole new body and frame, and the suspension is changing so configuration of the trailer's height will be different. There is always the push for Escape to keep up with trends in pickup trucks, which keep getting taller; certainly the current 5.0TA was deliberately made taller than the preceding 5.0 to match newer trucks.

Quote:
I imagine there is an industry standard?
There is a typical practice, rather than a well-defined standard.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Rail mount or B&W Turnover ball?

This thread has been great. I visited a local hitch shop today and they are really pushing the B&W gooseneck mount with the aluminum Andersen Ultimate. My total cost with installation would be ~$1,390. If I'm willing to live with the rail mount ($190 plus install) plus the steel Andersen Ultimate @ $549 usd, it would be a considerable savings and lighter overall.
Thoughts?
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
This thread has been great. I visited a local hitch shop today and they are really pushing the B&W gooseneck mount with the aluminum Andersen Ultimate. My total cost with installation would be ~$1,390. If I'm willing to live with the rail mount ($190 plus install) plus the steel Andersen Ultimate @ $549 usd, it would be a considerable savings and lighter overall.
Thoughts?
That combo has worked great for me over the last year. I love having a clear box when not towing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #64

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Thoughts?
Only reason I would go with goose neck style mount is if I planned on towing a trailer that required a goose neck. Since I have no plans to do so, the answer seems simple to me. save money and weight.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #65

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I don't think I will mind having the steel rails permanently installed in the bed. After I remove the steel rail mount Anderson hitch there are just the two rails going across the bed. Also I have no need for a gooseneck hitch so the additional cost and weight aren't something I'm willing to pay for.

I am getting the rail mount and am looking at the Reece rail kit because "I think" I can mount them without needing to drill any additional holes in my 2010 F 150 SCREW Cab 5.5' frame.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...leid=201019686
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #66

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I carry loads in the truck all the time, and have the 2 fixed rails. I do however keep a sheet of 1/2" ply at the house to cover the rails then cover that with a tarp when I carry loose loads like mulch or loam. They pose no issues with any other type of materials. The bear is moving the NON Anderson hitch.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I am getting the rail mount and am looking at the Reece rail kit because "I think" I can mount them without needing to drill any additional holes in my 2010 F 150 SCREW Cab 5.5' frame.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...leid=201019686
Although you do need to drill lots of holes in the box floor, it does look there will be no need for drilling in the frame... based on the Reese installation instructions. Are you concerned that it might not work out that way?
Old 11-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #68

Always concerned but I have at least six months to think about it. Also anxiously waiting for pictures and specs. of the new 5.0 TA before I do anything.

Later I will start looking into either installing the rails myself or finding out if the hitch company in Chilliwack can install a Canadian version of rails for a more economical price. They also do Line X and Line X also has a rock guard process so I may look into prices for all of that stuff and compare Canada and US prices.

I have already decided on the Anderson Ultimate Rail Version Hitch though.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:39 PM   #69

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
finding out if the hitch company in Chilliwack can install
I made inquiry to Trademasters asking if they could install the Anderson hitch. They actually sent me a quote for 1494.94. Model 3200 Hitch, universal rails, brackets and installation.

Quote does not indicate in U.S. dollars so for now I assume it is Canadian. Which puts it about $1121.21 U.S. at current exchange rate.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:33 AM   #70

Quote:
I made inquiry to Trademasters asking if they could install the Anderson hitch. They actually sent me a quote for 1494.94. Model 3200 Hitch, universal rails, brackets and installation.

Quote does not indicate in U.S. dollars so for now I assume it is Canadian. Which puts it about $1121.21 U.S. at current exchange rate.
There is a 13% GST/HST (5% plus 8%) tax rate on items imported into Canada plus whatever tax is applied to the shipment of the goods into BC plus the mark up by Trademasters for their profit so I wouldn't think buying the Anderson hitch in Canada is a good idea. I'm wondering if there is a Canadian manufactured rail set which may be cheaper than the Reece rails and if so would the installation of the rails only be more economical there? I'm just musing because it is winter and I have a long time before I need to make a decision. Also wondering if Line X is cheaper in Canada due to the exchange rate or if it is imported into Canada and therefore more expensive than here in the US.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #71

Quote:
There is a 13% GST/HST (5% plus 8%) tax rate on items imported into Canada plus whatever tax is applied to the shipment of the goods into BC plus the mark up by Trademasters for their profit so I wouldn't think buying the Anderson hitch in Canada is a good idea.
GST (5%) and PST (8%) applies to purchases in British Columbia regardless of whether or not the product is imported, so finding an alternative which is made in Canada won't help with those taxes. There is no duty applied to products made in the U.S. (or Mexico) and imported into Canada. Customs brokerage cost for rationally operated businesses is negligible. Everyone has retail markup, although a small business will likely have higher markup than a company such as eTrailer.

Quote:
I'm wondering if there is a Canadian manufactured rail set which may be cheaper than the Reece rails and if so would the installation of the rails only be more economical there?
Even with no tax advantage, a Canadian-made alternative would be worth finding... but I would be surprised if there is any towing equipment of any kind made in Canada now. There was a company here in Edmonton which made hitches (DSP), but they stopped making anything a couple of years ago and have just been very slowing winding down by selling off their inventory; I don't know if they ever made the current style of mounting rails, but their web site says various rail kits are available from CA$230.

For U.S. residents, there is the alternative of paying whatever your state and local taxes might be, instead of paying GST + PST (or HST in some provinces, or just GST in Alberta).
Old 11-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #72

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
BC charges 12%, 5% gst and 7% pst.
Cheers
Doug
Old 11-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That combo has worked great for me over the last year. I love having a clear box when not towing.
After getting several quotes on the rail installation and watching the installation video on the B&W Turnover ball - I'm going with the B&W along with the aluminum #3220 Andersen Ultimate. The clean bolt on install and clear box really appeal to my inner engineer (wife would say engi"nerd").
I might be able to save a few bucks by purchasing the Andersen on eBay.
Thanks for all of the input.

Chuck
Old 11-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #74

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
After getting several quotes on the rail installation and watching the installation video on the B&W Turnover ball - I'm going with the B&W along with the aluminum #3220 Andersen Ultimate. The clean bolt on install and clear box really appeal to my inner engineer (wife would say engi"nerd").
I might be able to save a few bucks by purchasing the Andersen on eBay.
Thanks for all of the input.

Chuck
That's the choice I made too! Last Wednsday I had the B&W turnover ball installed in my Tundra along with a spray in bed liner, 3220 Andersen Ultimate and Truxedo tonneau cover. It's a very clean set up!! I'm just missing one piece to the puzzle..... 5.0 TA!!!! Come on February!!!
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
That's the choice I made too! Last Wednsday I had the B&W turnover ball installed in my Tundra along with a spray in bed liner, 3220 Andersen Ultimate and Truxedo tonneau cover. It's a very clean set up!! I'm just missing one piece to the puzzle..... 5.0 TA!!!! Come on February!!!
I've been set up for a year now, and am still missing my 5.0 TA.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #76

Black Friday pricing for Andersen Ultimate

I thought I would share this link - I just ordered the Andersen 3220 (the aluminum gooseneck version) for $650, free shipping using the Black Friday discounts from the following website. I added the safety chains as well.
The 11% off is available for the other Andersen Ultimate versions as well.

https://mortontrailersupply.com

I have not seen pricing any lower. I exchanged emails with Tom Morton prior to purchase and he expects the hitch to ship on Monday. I hope this helps someone who has not purchased their hitch yet.

Chuck
Old 11-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
good price

Quote:
I thought I would share this link - I just ordered the Andersen 3220 (the aluminum gooseneck version) for $650, free shipping using the Black Friday discounts from the following website. I added the safety chains as well.
The 11% off is available for the other Andersen Ultimate versions as well.

https://mortontrailersupply.com

I have not seen pricing any lower. I exchanged emails with Tom Morton prior to purchase and he expects the hitch to ship on Monday. I hope this helps someone who has not purchased their hitch yet.

Chuck
$729 was the best price I could find on the 3220 a few weeks ago. Good catch!!
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #78

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Etrailer.com has pretty good prices. Ordered my rail mount Andersen Ultimate, Reese rail kit, towing mirrors and plug adapter last night. Free shipping. $1009.00
Don't know how long it will take to get here.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Etrailer.com has pretty good prices. Ordered my rail mount Andersen Ultimate, Reese rail kit, towing mirrors and plug adapter last night. Free shipping. $1009.00
Don't know how long it will take to get here.
Hi: Chotch... What truck and power plant will you be using for a 5.0TA tug? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #80

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost Crew cab
with 6 1/2 foot bed
Hope it works, if it don't it's a costly mistake!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote