5th Wheel Hitch - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2016, 01:01 AM   #101

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
So if you are using the ball with the Anderson with a 5'5" bed truck do they place the ball further back then normally installed ?
The conventional installation of a fifth-wheel hitch places the pin centred on the mounting rails.

The Andersen Ultimate frame always offsets the Andersen's ball from the centre of the mounting rails or in-bed ball; it can be turned either way (by the owner each time the removable frame is placed in the bed), so the ball is either ahead of or behind the conventional location (by 5.5"). The normal choice would be to offset it rearward with a 5'5" bed... so yes, that's further back than a normal fifth-wheel.

The in-bed ball is normally left in the conventional location (at or just ahead of the rear axle) because the mounting frame is designed to fit in that specific place in the truck.

Andersen's coupler block also places the pin four inches behind the ball, which isn't quite the same as placing the ball 4" further back, but does help cab-to-trailer clearance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:05 AM   #102

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Good to know so the ball is placed in the conventional place and the Anderson allows for the adjustment rearward for proper clearance with a 5'5" bed correct?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:12 AM   #103

Quote:
Good to know so the ball is placed in the conventional place and the Anderson allows for the adjustment rearward for proper clearance with a 5'5" bed correct?
Yes, that's my understanding, although sufficient clearance has yet to be confirmed with the 2017 5.0TA, which looks like it is a couple of inches wider than the original 5.0TA in the loft area.

Someone might have every part of this combination currently in use: 5.0TA, Andersen Ultimate "gooseneck" version, in-bed ball hitch, and 5.5' box.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #104

Trailer: 2016 5.0TA
Send a message via AIM to Monica Rose
5th wheel hitches

Our experience? If you are experienced in 5th wheel hitches, you know a "hitch is a hitch", is not correct. A proper mating of a 5th wheel hitch can be tricky because of weight being carried, wt being towed, heights of the hitch & heights of the king pins. I'm sure there are other variables as well. We already had a Reece, on rails, on our 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 (yes, a light weight truck) which had been easily towing a 19' 26 yr old Prowler (fairly light, but also a little lighter than the 2016 5.0TA (lifted) that we picked up Nov 2016). We determined that the current hitch would not be high enough for the new 5.0TA. We also became concerned with the additional weight. All things considered (time cost included) we added air bags to the truck here (Calif), & enlisted TradeMasters to find a hitch that would work, deciding, if there was a problem, we would need to have the solution figured out there anyway, between TradeMasters & Escape Trailers. Out the door, TradeMasters (1/2 hr build/installation) a Curt 16K, on our Reece standard rails, cost us $1434.28 Canadian, which translated to $1112.32 US, including credit card foreign exchange fee of $32.32. The Curt 16K is smaller, lighter, & taller than our old hitch. It allows us to have the Dexter Lift Kit on the 5.0TA. With the added air bags, the towing is easier, a dream ... we almost forget their is a trailer behind us, than towing our old 5th wheel. We couldn't be happier with TradeMasters & Escape Trailers. Considering that time is money, & we were not experienced enough to try to do things ourselves, what else might we have tried successfully?
Monica Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #105
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Out the door, TradeMasters (1/2 hr build/installation) a Curt 16K, on our Reece standard rails, cost us $1434.28 Canadian, which translated to $1112.32 US,

I'm a little confused, did trade master build you custom frame brackets and move your old bed rails back in your truck bed? or did they just install your new curt 16k on your existing bed rails ? How far from back of cab is the center of your hitch ?
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #106

Trailer: 2016 5.0TA
Send a message via AIM to Monica Rose
5th wheel hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnocker View Post
Out the door, TradeMasters (1/2 hr build/installation) a Curt 16K, on our Reece standard rails, cost us $1434.28 Canadian, which translated to $1112.32 US,

I'm a little confused, did trade master build you custom frame brackets and move your old bed rails back in your truck bed? or did they just install your new curt 16k on your existing bed rails ? How far from back of cab is the center of your hitch ?
Bed is 6'7", & the Curt 16K is in the center, on slides (which we never use) that raise the hitch enough to meet the 50 1/2" height that we needed. TradeMasters "assemble/built) the Curt & installed it on the Reese rails already installed in the bed. The smaller Curt gives us about 6" more room between the hitch & the cab of the truck. Our truck is 2 wheel drive & the bed is lower than most trucks.
Monica Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #107

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
So if you are using the ball with the Anderson with a 5'5" bed truck do they place the ball further back then normally installed ?
The B&W Turnover Ball is mounted relative to the back end of the bed regardless of the bed's length. When using the Andersen Ultimate Gooseneck with the ball offset to the rear and kingpin conversion block extended forward, there is very little room between the F150 tailgate and the rear of the pin box of the Escape 5.0TA. The ball really couldn't be set any further back. There is enough room to lower the tailgate on an F150 when connected and probably with other brands as well. The Escape 5.0TA nose just clears the back of the cab of an F150 Supercab with a 6-1/2' bed on a hard turn, so I doubt that it would clear with a 5-1/2'.

David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #108

Anyone struggling to get the hitch high enough to meet the trailer's king pin should check the pin box position: the currently (or at least recently) used Lippert 1716 pin box can be mounted in retracted (higher) or extended (lower) positions - by putting the 12 mounting bolts through different sets of holes - which are 2.5" apart vertically. If your hitch is a couple inches low, and your pin box is not already extended, the problem is fixable with a couple of wrenches.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #109

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
The Escape 5.0TA nose just clears the back of the cab of an F150 Supercab with a 6-1/2' bed on a hard turn, so I doubt that it would clear with a 5-1/2'.
My temp trailer was a full 8' wide, and easily cleared the cab on my F150 with the B&W with the Anderson. Is the nose that much longer on the Escape?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #110

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My temp trailer was a full 8' wide, and easily cleared the cab on my F150 with the B&W with the Anderson. Is the nose that much longer on the Escape?
Sorry for the slow response, lousy Wi-Fi in campground.
The center of the Andersen ball receiver is 12" in front of the 5.0TA loft. The Ultimate ball's center is 42" from the F150, 6-1/2' bed's rear window.
Hope this gives clarity.
David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #111

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
That's the choice I made too! Last Wednsday I had the B&W turnover ball installed in my Tundra along with a spray in bed liner, 3220 Andersen Ultimate and Truxedo tonneau cover. It's a very clean set up!! I'm just missing one piece to the puzzle..... 5.0 TA!!!! Come on February!!!
Hi Mark & Elaine - Thanks to you, I checked into and purchased the Truxedo "Lo Pro" tonneau cover for my 2013 Tundra. It fit perfect, great quality and will be a nice addition to my truck! I'm also leaning toward the B&W gooseneck hitch and 3220 Anderson.
Another great purchase I made for the Tundra is the Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement system (purchased from Etrailer.com). It's very simple and effective way to support the 5th wheel load. After watching the video on Etrailer.com, I'm confident I can install it myself (although I haven't done it yet). Anyhow, if you want to check it out, it looks to be a great alternative to suspension "airbags" with a lower cost, no maintenance and easy installation (I'm hoping!).
Thanks again for the tip on the Truxedo cover!
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #112

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatLongJohn View Post
Hi Mark & Elaine - Thanks to you, I checked into and purchased the Truxedo "Lo Pro" tonneau cover for my 2013 Tundra. It fit perfect, great quality and will be a nice addition to my truck! I'm also leaning toward the B&W gooseneck hitch and 3220 Anderson.
Another great purchase I made for the Tundra is the Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement system (purchased from Etrailer.com). It's very simple and effective way to support the 5th wheel load. After watching the video on Etrailer.com, I'm confident I can install it myself (although I haven't done it yet). Anyhow, if you want to check it out, it looks to be a great alternative to suspension "airbags" with a lower cost, no maintenance and easy installation (I'm hoping!).
Thanks again for the tip on the Truxedo cover!
John
John and Joy, I continue to get my truck ready as my trailer will be done soon!! I had the Timbren system on my radar and should pull the trigger on it. Today I ordered Toyota OEM trailer mirrors. Glad to hear the Lo Pro fits well, same model I purchased but have not yet installed it. At an RV show here in Spokane this weekend, I talked to an Anderson rep who answered all my questions about their gooseneck hitch and am convinced I will like it! Elaine keeps telling me to quit reading the forum as all the good suggestions costs her more and more money!! Mark
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #113

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Quote:
John and Joy, I continue to get my truck ready as my trailer will be done soon!! I had the Timbren system on my radar and should pull the trigger on it. Today I ordered Toyota OEM trailer mirrors. Glad to hear the Lo Pro fits well, same model I purchased but have not yet installed it. At an RV show here in Spokane this weekend, I talked to an Anderson rep who answered all my questions about their gooseneck hitch and am convinced I will like it! Elaine keeps telling me to quit reading the forum as all the good suggestions costs her more and more money!! Mark
Just tell her she has to keep working! Excited to hear you are getting close to your pickup day and look forward to seeing your trailer when it comes to Spokane! Can't wait for spring!
Old 01-24-2017, 07:30 AM   #114

Quote:
Hi - Joy is most likely feeling the same way about now! She is impressed, though, with the Truxedo cover. I also ordered trailering mirrors and need to install them (gulp), but I think it's doable. I didn't opt for the backup camera on the trailer, and thought the mirrors would be the number one way to make pulling the trailer safer.
I forgot to mention that I talked to TradeMaster in Chilliwack about the Timbren suspension system and they highly recommended it.
It's great that you're getting so close to picking up your new rig! I hope you let us know how it goes and what adventures you might be planning.
Regards,
John
Old 01-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #115

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatLongJohn View Post
Hi - Joy is most likely feeling the same way about now! She is impressed, though, with the Truxedo cover. I also ordered trailering mirrors and need to install them (gulp), but I think it's doable. I didn't opt for the backup camera on the trailer, and thought the mirrors would be the number one way to make pulling the trailer safer.
I forgot to mention that I talked to TradeMaster in Chilliwack about the Timbren suspension system and they highly recommended it.
It's great that you're getting so close to picking up your new rig! I hope you let us know how it goes and what adventures you might be planning.
Regards,
John
John ,I'm glad to hear of the recommendations by TradeMaster for the Timbren system. I ordered them last night.. I have to confess however, that I threw you right under the bus!!!! I told Elaine that you made me do it!! Sorry , good buddy!!!
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #116

Quote:
John ,I'm glad to hear of the recommendations by TradeMaster for the Timbren system. I ordered them last night.. I have to confess however, that I threw you right under the bus!!!! I told Elaine that you made me do it!! Sorry , good buddy!!!
No problem, since I blamed you for the Truxedo purchase! I guess we're even now.
John
P.S. I'm now thinking that I'll have my mechanic install the Timbren system the next time I have the Tundra's oil changed. After crawling under the truck and trying to remove one of the nuts holding the "U" bolt, it didn't come close to budging. I think I'd need a much larger/longer wrench or impact driver to remove the 4 nuts on each side. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. A good mechanic with the right tools could do the job in 15 minutes, so I don't think they'd charge very much.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #117

Trailer: 2008
Towing Escape 5.0TA with Toyota Tacoma

Has anyone towed the Escape 5.0 with a newer Tacoma.
Can a 5th wheel hitch be installed on a Tacoma TRD 4x4 long box with towing package.
Donkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #118

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
We are getting a new Chev 3500 and will be towing our 5.0TA with it. Having the factory install their hitch platform. We have been checking out all the 5th wheel trailering options, including Curt, Andersen, and BW. Spoke with one local hitch dealer, and the guy himself said he would use nothing but BW 'because it is the best'. RVK 3700 is the BW part number. Anyhow, my current issue is that the new truck will be about 6 inches taller than the old one, and we will be forced to take the trailer into a shop to have a lift kit installed. Friends with other, larger, 5th wheel trailers have already damaged the bed rails because of this issue. Has anyone else experienced this? How did you handle? Anyone have experience with factory installed hitch platforms? Thanks, George.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers View Post
... Anyhow, my current issue is that the new truck will be about 6 inches taller than the old one, and we will be forced to take the trailer into a shop to have a lift kit installed.
George, do you have the beam axles with leaf springs, or Torflex independent suspension? They are raised differently.

If you have the beam axles, how is the suspension set currently - are the axle beam tubes over the springs, or below them?
This is Bob's trailer with the axles over the springs (the lower position), from an earlier discussion:

If you have beam axles (and leaf springs) and the axle tubes are currently over top of the springs like this, the axles can be relocated to below the springs to gain a few inches, with no "lift kit".
Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #120

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm curious as to why such a big truck, these can carry a lot and are very big.