5th Wheel Hitch - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost Crew cab
with 6 1/2 foot bed
Hope it works, if it don't it's a costly mistake!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It works for others, should work for you too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #82

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Did a lot of research including this forum before I pulled the trigger. But they say the proof is in the tasting, so we have to wait till April

Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
with 6 1/2 foot bed

Hi: Chotch... Sounds almost like Reace's truck at ETI... but he has the 5 1/2' bed. Uses a special hitch from Trademasters hitch shop not far from ETI. He will want to know the tug spec's. to set up the trailer. I don't think it's a mistake... Lots of folks towing 5.0TA's with F150 2.7 Ecoboost's. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #84

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Anderson Compatibility Chart

Morton also has a compatibility chart posted on their website. I've posted here for those that might find it useful.

Thanks Chuck for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
I thought I would share this link

https://mortontrailersupply.com

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Anderson Compatibility Guide.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #85

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
I spoke with Reace's before I ordered the 5.0 TA and said there wasn't anything special to his hitch set up. I also have the F150 Screw with the 5.5 Ft. bed as long as you set the hitch up so yo keep 30 inches between the pin and the back window of the pick up. Not suppose to be a problem. We pick it up on St. Paddy's Day so I'll know for sure then.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #86

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
After re-reading all of your posts (thanks again!), I'm going for the rail mounted Ultimate (w/safety chains).

What seems to be missing in all of the options out there is an ALUMINUM Andersen rail mounted Ultimate. Anyone have any ideas why?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #87

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
After re-reading all of your posts (thanks again!), I'm going for the rail mounted Ultimate (w/safety chains).

What seems to be missing in all of the options out there is an ALUMINUM Andersen rail mounted Ultimate. Anyone have any ideas why?
Hi: Zardoz... I thought the one from Morton was aluminium. I could be wrong... proven daily!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Zardoz... I thought the one from Morton was aluminium. I could be wrong... proven daily!!! Alf
Hi Alf! Just ordered mine; the aluminum version is gooseneck mounted. No worries tho, at 45ish pounds, even I can handle the steel version (and if I can't, my wife surely can ).
Old 11-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #89

Quote:
I thought I would share this link - I just ordered the Andersen 3220 (the aluminum gooseneck version) for $650, free shipping using the Black Friday discounts from the following website. I added the safety chains as well.
The 11% off is available for the other Andersen Ultimate versions as well.

https://mortontrailersupply.com

I have not seen pricing any lower. I exchanged emails with Tom Morton prior to purchase and he expects the hitch to ship on Monday. I hope this helps someone who has not purchased their hitch yet.

Chuck
Hey Chuck!

Many thanks for the tip on the sale prices at Morton's; you're a pal! Just ordered my rail version and your great tip netted me a "free" set of safety chains. Come to next year's rally and I'll buy you a beer. If you can't make it, I'll drink one in your honor; I promise.

Rich
Old 11-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #90

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Likely the weight difference between aluminum and steel is not enough to warrant the additional cost of producing the 3200 model in aluminum would be my guess.

Quote:

Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #91

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Quote:
Hey Chuck!

Many thanks for the tip on the sale prices at Morton's; you're a pal! Just ordered my rail version and your great tip netted me a "free" set of safety chains. Come to next year's rally and I'll buy you a beer. If you can't make it, I'll drink one in your honor; I promise.

Rich
You're welcome. We will be there! Looking forward to meeting everyone and checking out the mods that folks have done.
I need to figure out how to bring a few Colorado craft brews to the rally as well.
Chuck
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #92

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
We hope it works too!

Quote:
with 6 1/2 foot bed

We hope it works too as we have the same truck on order, except ours is 2WD. Lots of forum folks seem to use F150s, including Reace. We will use the B&W Turnover Gooseneck with the Andersen Ultimate.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:14 PM   #93

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
There won't be an aluminum version of the rail mount because the 4 tabs wouldn't have the shear strength if made from aluminum. The Anderson hitches are rated for 20,000 Lbs (rail version) so while an aluminum version may work for a 5000 Lb. trailer it certainly won't with a 20,000 Lbs.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #94

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Morton also has a compatibility chart posted on their website. I've posted here for those that might find it useful.
Interesting, but I don't see anything that would be useful for an Escape owner. It's mostly about compatibility of odd pin boxes (but an Escape has a normal pin box) with the Ranch Hitch (but we're only talking about the Ultimate). For the Ultimate it really just says that
  • the "gooseneck" version works with a ball in the bad, while rail-mount version works with rails, and
  • the shorter Ultimate needs to be used with the high bed of a flatbed truck.
The table says that every length of truck box works with both styles of Ultimate hitch - someone with a 102"-wide trailer would be in trouble if they believed they could reasonably tow that trailer with an Ultimate mounted to rails (or bed-floor ball) in the standard location. Fortunately, Escapes are much narrower and a 5.5' box really will work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
There won't be an aluminum version of the rail mount because the 4 tabs wouldn't have the shear strength if made from aluminum. The Anderson hitches are rated for 20,000 Lbs (rail version) so while an aluminum version may work for a 5000 Lb. trailer it certainly won't with a 20,000 Lbs.
An interesting thought, and that does seem like a potential issue, but an aluminum pyramidal frame could easily have bolted-on steel foot tabs. A combination of aluminum and steel components would be heavier than an all-aluminum version, though, and it's probably not worth designing and building.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVic View Post
I spoke with Reace's before I ordered the 5.0 TA and said there wasn't anything special to his hitch set up.
Okay... but in other discussions it has been noted that his hitch is mounted further back in the box than the standard location. So the hitch is nothing special, but the installation is non-standard, as required to get sufficient clearance with that hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVic View Post
I also have the F150 Screw with the 5.5 Ft. bed as long as you set the hitch up so yo keep 30 inches between the pin and the back window of the pick up.
Just from memory, I'm pretty sure that a standard installation of a fifth-wheel hitch - which places the pin just ahead of the axle line - does not provide 30 inches from pin to cab. A solution is to drill extra holes in the truck's frame to allow the frame-to-rail brackets to sit further back than normal.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:50 PM   #97

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
Another US Source for Andersen: HitchSource.com. Purchased mine on 4/12/16; Ultimate 3200, $474.99, Andersen Ultimate Safety Chains, $63.99, shipping Free. I was given their name by Andersen. Rails and 7 Pin Plug inside box, installed by Trademasters for $1104.81 Canadian, 8/18/16. -Ethan
ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #98

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Quote:
Hi Mark,
Can you provide details on the gooseneck connection for the Tundra please? I thought that I was limited to a rail mount for my 2013.
Thanks!
Chuck
Hi Chuck! We've just "joined the ranks" with you (as well as Mark and Elaine) and purchased a Toyota Tundra (2013 5.7L Double Cab) for towing our (Aug. 2017) 5.0TA. Anyhow, I was just wondering what you decided concerning the Anderson hitch and whether you opted for the rail system or the under mount "goose neck" for your Tundra. I'm leaning toward the Anderson to save weight, but also considering a the Curt 16A. I'd love to save some weight and be able to easily remove the hitch, but also need to weigh that against the ease of hitching and unhitching a traditional type 5th wheel hitch.
Thanks for sharing what you decided.
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #99

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatLongJohn View Post
Hi Chuck! We've just "joined the ranks" with you (as well as Mark and Elaine) and purchased a Toyota Tundra (2013 5.7L Double Cab) for towing our (Aug. 2017) 5.0TA. Anyhow, I was just wondering what you decided concerning the Anderson hitch and whether you opted for the rail system or the under mount "goose neck" for your Tundra. I'm leaning toward the Anderson to save weight, but also considering a the Curt 16A. I'd love to save some weight and be able to easily remove the hitch, but also need to weigh that against the ease of hitching and unhitching a traditional type 5th wheel hitch.
Thanks for sharing what you decided.
John
Hi John,

I ordered the Andersen 3220 aluminum gooseneck version during the sale last month and I plan on using the B&W Turnover ball as the attachment. Congrats on the new Tundra!
Chuck
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:39 AM   #100

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
So if you are using the ball with the Anderson with a 5'5" bed truck do they place the ball further back then normally installed ?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote