7 pin connector - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2022, 08:01 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B 2022?
7 pin connector

We have purchased a 2022 Highlander with Toyota tow hitch and harness. It comes with a 4 pin connector. Spoke with a local hitch company yesterday and they are suggesting a wireless option to convert to 7 pin which will cost $600. They said this is the route people are going due to issues with the air bag location in new vehicles. Does this sound right? Seems a lot of money and not sure how I feel about it as an app on my phone.
Diane&Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane&Doug View Post
We have purchased a 2022 Highlander with Toyota tow hitch and harness. It comes with a 4 pin connector. Spoke with a local hitch company yesterday and they are suggesting a wireless option to convert to 7 pin which will cost $600. They said this is the route people are going due to issues with the air bag location in new vehicles. Does this sound right? Seems a lot of money and not sure how I feel about it as an app on my phone.
A four pin connector only has running lights, brake lights, left and right turn signals. It does not have wiring for the brakes, or the power pin to charge your trailer battery when you tow. Both of these are higher amperage loads than the light circuits are designed to carry. So wireless brake controller or otherwise, they still need to run a higher gauge wire to the rear of the tow vehicle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 pin trailer connector.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	61774

Click image for larger version

Name:	7 pin tow connector.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	61775

Before authorizing any work you need to clarify exactly what they are installing.

I'm guessing airbag location relates to where the hardwired brake controller would be installed in / on / under the dash. You still need a location to put the wireless brake controller head unit or phone if it runs off an app.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape
TTMartin is correct in that all controllers still need a hard wired 7 pin connector for the trailer to plug into. From there you can go several ways. You can get an all in one unit like tekonsha prodigy that has the main unit and the control unit in one package mounted to the dash. You can get a wireless controller where the main unit is mounted in the trailer and the control unit is plugged into the dash and sends a signal to to main unit. This can also be done with a Bluetooth phone app.

You can also get a controller like the redarc which is sort of a middle path. Etrailer compares the redarc and the tekonsha prodigy controllers. Both get high marks. The redarc is identified as a good choice if knee airbags interfere with mounting the controller. The control knob mounts in an unused switch slot on the dashboard for a convenient factory look. The main unit is mounted out of the way under the dash. The control unit and the main unit are connected with a wiring harness rather than rf.

Personally I do not have either tekonsha or redarc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BZPcXTik43Npt3
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #4

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to this thread. Very helpful.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
You may want to contact another shop that specializes in trailer hitch/wiring installations for a second opinion and other product options. Here is a popular controller that is hardwired into your vehicle and should easily avoid interfering with airbags.

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-produ...del=Highlander

The product page also notes the additional wiring options for the 7-pin connector, etc. The total installed cost will likely be similar to what you were quoted by the first shop, however, this would likely be easier to use. E-trailer is a popular choice by many on this forum and shipping to Canada is simple (we had our brake controller shipped directly to ETI for installation on our trailer).

Do take your time to get this feature right, regardless of the product you choose. Being able to safely control and stop your trailer is not to be taken lightly. Reminds me of the old Fram oil filter commercials - "You can pay me now, or pay me later..." The extra dollars spent for a reliable brake controller system is likely less than your auto insurance deductible.

Safe travels and happy camping!
LRCURTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:05 AM   #6

Thank you so much for this. I just watched the video and it makes good sense. Will discuss with our long-time mechanic to make he has no concerns.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A respected hitch shop installed my Prodigy P2 in my 2020 Highlander XLE. They ran the wires to 7-pin.

Here's photo of P2 location above my right knee, under the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
P2 in Highlander.jpg  
Old 04-01-2022, 10:57 AM   #8

So helpful to be getting all these replies. Feeling very hopeful that this all possible. A new vehicle and a new trailer is a definite first for us!
Old 04-01-2022, 11:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
In our Ford Explorer Sport back up tow vehicle I made a removable mount for the controller. This is a no screw, friction application and mounts the controller horizontal so the sensors inside can apply the brakes properly. It also leaves the under dash as designed to protect your legs in a crash.
Attached Thumbnails
19A38F30-FA95-426B-AF9B-D24484594772.jpg   31BA8BCE-07B0-4A41-8251-94B3C4E1914A.jpg   1B06C828-87FF-466C-B71C-420043654B28.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 E19'
I don't know about the new Highlanders, but my elderly 2012 Toyota 4Runner came factory-equipped with a 4 pin / 7-pin combo plug waaaaay forward and under the rear bumper - really hard to reach to plug in and unplug with bad knees, and hated crawling around and getting muddy hands and knees reaching under and forward. I got a new 18" extension cable that plugs into the factory 7-pin, and ends in a combo 4- and 7-pin. I mounted it just below the bumper, so would have both 4-pin and 7-pin available in one easy-to-reach package. That was it for underneath stuff.

Inside the vehicle, I found the factory brake controller connector that was tucked behind the driver's side kick panel, installed the Toyota-specific jumper cable (E-trailer) with a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller in the center console - easy access to the manual brake-application lever, away from air bags and whatnot, and easily removed when not being used. Didn't want to cut over to any wee-fee, blue tooth, or RF new-fangled-at-that-time stuff - and still wouldn't.

You might be well-served to look into possible wired options that would just jump your existing 4-pin lines over to a new 7-pin connector, then run the new charging and brake wires. Way cheaper than shelling out $600, but may have to also tie into the brake light circuit to get a signal to the controller if you have no factory 7-pin lines. Not sure how this might play out for you, since I didn't have to deal with it.

Also used the unused center pin in the 7-pin plug for a dashboard-mounted switch for backup lights on the trailer rear bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0013.jpg   DSC_0061.jpg   DSC_0076.jpg   DSC_0074.jpg   DSC_0058.jpg  

Old 04-01-2022, 03:58 PM   #11

Very, very helpful. Thanks for all the photos. Easy to see what you've done.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #12

Interesting to see all these iterations. We're not picking up trailer up for a few months so good to have some time for this.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Just so you know, I have a P3 and a Redarc, and they both work well. The P3 is easier to me, but the Redarc has a nice clean mount.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:29 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
I don't know about the new Highlanders, but my elderly 2012 Toyota 4Runner came factory-equipped with a 4 pin / 7-pin combo plug waaaaay forward and under the rear bumper - really hard to reach to plug in and unplug with bad knees, and hated crawling around and getting muddy hands and knees reaching under and forward. I got a new 18" extension cable that plugs into the factory 7-pin, and ends in a combo 4- and 7-pin. I mounted it just below the bumper, so would have both 4-pin and 7-pin available in one easy-to-reach package.
Thanks for posting pictures of your connector extension install. 4Runner still has the connections in the same tough to access location. It also stretches the trailer harness to its limit and increases the chance of a pull out.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, a 2012 4-Runner is not a 2022 Highlander.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Someone pointed out in a previous discussion that my photo of the p-3 controller was directly in front of my knee on our 2018 Highlander. I sized things up and reported that between the seat belt and my oversized belly there was little chance of me going far enough forward for my knee to hit anything before serious contact had already occurred. YMMV ( and the length of your legs). Seriously the P-3 has been flawless and I can easily reach the override when I want too.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-01-2022, 09:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, a 2012 4-Runner is not a 2022 Highlander.
Agreed, there's no doubt about it!

"I don't know about the new Highlanders, but my elderly 2012 Toyota 4Runner...".
Old 04-02-2022, 01:11 AM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
A respected hitch shop installed my Prodigy P2 in my 2020 Highlander XLE. They ran the wires to 7-pin.

Here's photo of P2 location above my right knee, under the dash.
Review of the https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings webpages for the 2020 and 2022 Higlanders reveals that both have a "knee airbag" for the driver.

While the NHTSA site does not provide great detail, Toyota's technical manuals which can be accessed by a Toyota dealer service department will almost assuredly provide detail (a diagram) regarding the airbag's 'keep-clear zone' (the areas where nothing should be added / located lest it interfere with, or increase risk of injury associated with airbag deployment). It can be difficult to properly identify the location and extent of those 'keep clear zones' without reference to the vehicle manufacturer's guidance documents. The same holds for any make / model / year of vehicle.

Even 'respected' hitch shops may not be attuned to those make / model / year-specific nuances, but YMMV. The pictured location may be swell, I've no idea and don't speculate on that. Personally I'd want to have a print-out of the vehicle manufacturer's knee air bag 'keep clear zone' to ensure that's respected when selecting an accessory mounting location, but again YMMV.

IMO it'd be a shame to inadvertently compromise any of the great safety features that earn, in the 2020-2022 Highlander's case, a NHTSA 5-star overall safety rating.

Just for consideration, Have Fun!
Old 04-02-2022, 07:36 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Seriously the P-3 has been flawless and I can easily reach the override when I want too.
Can’t stress enough that the driver needs to be able to easily reach the manual override for the trailer brakes and PRACTICE using it. If you are ever in a situation where you experience trailer sway you only brake the trailer and you will be thankful you were prepared. I’m lucky I was ready when I was loaded improperly (light on the tongue) and hit some uneven road with a crosswind. Braking just the trailer calmed it right down. This is something you will never forget. Much more conscientious about proper tongue weight and have since added a weight distribution hitch.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:42 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Can’t stress enough that the driver needs to be able to easily reach the manual override for the trailer brakes and PRACTICE using it. If you are ever in a situation where you experience trailer sway you only brake the trailer and you will be thankful you were prepared. I’m lucky I was ready when I was loaded improperly (light on the tongue) and hit some uneven road with a crosswind. Braking just the trailer calmed it right down. This is something you will never forget. Much more conscientious about proper tongue weight and have since added a weight distribution hitch.
Yes, particularly the single axle models that get sucked over when passed by a semi, the feeling is unforgettable.