Andersen hitch replacement bolts - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2022, 06:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Cool Andersen hitch replacement bolts

Hey all. Getting exited as we are picking up our 5.0 in May!

Just picked up an Andersen 5th wheel hitch (rail mount version) used at a great price. It is in great shape all around. The only thing I see is that the rectangular coupler block bolts are a little bit worn on the head where the Allen wrench goes in to tighten. Wondering if anyone has had to replace these and how you went about doing it. Are they standard size which can be bought over the counter or are they specific to the hitch? I don't need the long bolts that go through to attach the block to the kingpin just the ones that go through the block to keep it straight on the kingpin. Anderson only sells the combination set.
ngarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If you can get one out or get a good photo and measurement you could contact the countermen at a Fastenal store in your area. They have sold me singles doubles, 17. any number of some pretty specialized bolts. Good Luck
Iowa Dave
Old 03-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #3

Thanks Dave
I have a Fastenal right in town and I will stop by there tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We have the same Andersen hitch that we installed. Those 4 coupler block set screws need to be torqued to 40 ft-lbs. Finding a hex key for our torque wrench that could fully engage the set screws took a bit of work. I would definitely replace those set screws to make sure they can be torqued correctly.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
They're presumably the set screws in the bolt kit which Andersen sells as part of their parts selection, as was mentioned. Unfortunately $20 USD is a lot for four set screws and the listing doesn't provide the set screw specs for buying them locally, and the installation manual only says that they are turned with a 1/4" hex key or bit and should be tightened to 40 lb-ft. The 1/4" hex size means that they probably (no guarantees!) are a 1/2" thread size... so I would take them out, measure them, then take them to a decent industrial fastener store and expect to find an SAE (not metric) replacement... likely 1/2" but I don't know the length.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:00 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I tried Fastenal but could not find anything on their website and the retail counter was closed (online order/will call only). I will definitely replace the bolts so I can torque to specs. Andersen kit is $20 plus $20 to ship so I will continue searching the bolts third party. Not much luck so far. Did find out they are called "grub bolts" but could not find them online. Andersen orders them from somewhere so I will keep searching.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021- 5.0
Had the same problem with one screw. Called Andersen tech support. Talked to Izzak. He sent me (4) at no charge. Bought a 1/4 inch socket & a 1/4 inch hex from Northern Tool. Cut the elbow off, had plenty of length.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:58 PM   #8

Just got an email from Andersen for free shipping. Rather than trying to find the bolts decided to order and be done with it. One less thing to do before our May pickup.....

Now to figure out the bed rails and safety chains
Old 03-30-2022, 10:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
You should know you can ship them to ETI and they can install the coupler on the camper for a small fee. We did that and were happy that we did not have to worry about that at the pickup time.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
You should know you can ship them to ETI and they can install the coupler on the camper for a small fee. We did that and were happy that we did not have to worry about that at the pickup time.
I'm going to have to deal with the coupling install at pickup yard next week. I have all the tools ready, did a dry run. It cost me $40 to send my check to ETI.. I wonder what the cost would be to send the coupler?
Old 03-31-2022, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I'm going to have to deal with the coupling install at pickup yard next week. I have all the tools ready, did a dry run. It cost me $40 to send my check to ETI.. I wonder what the cost would be to send the coupler?
Ha, ha! Now that I remember, ETI put their own Andersen coupler on the trailer and we gave ours back the driver to take back after the delivery! So, it worked out well. But, it can only work for the Sumas deliveries…

We wanted chains and, therefore, needed bigger eye bolts. Those we sent to ETI by mail.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:34 AM   #12

One piece of advice on bolts on the coupler. See if you want to have a hitch lock. We bought a Ft Knox lock. To put that on, the eye bolts have to aligned so that they are parallel to the ground. It might be good to have the lock with you to make sure the eye bolts fit through it before tightening them in place.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:58 PM   #13

Thumbs up

KAVM
Thanks for the tip on the Fort Knox lock working with the eye bolts on the Anderson. We are definitely considering a trailer lock and will look into this one.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Got all my hitch stuff from Etrailer.com, including the bolt kit for safety chains.
Forget what I paid for it, but everything was in stock and got it quick.
When researching locks for the hitch, I found the Fort Knox to be an excellent product. ANY lock can be defeated, but it would take a bit of effort even with a disc grinder.
Attached Thumbnails
F581165F-391A-4421-AE7D-D288906760C1.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
One piece of advice on bolts on the coupler. See if you want to have a hitch lock. We bought a Ft Knox lock. To put that on, the eye bolts have to aligned so that they are parallel to the ground. It might be good to have the lock with you to make sure the eye bolts fit through it before tightening them in place.
So the Ft Know lock will work with the Andersen Funnel?
Old 04-13-2022, 07:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have the same lock had to switch the eye bolts because one is forward one back and has to match the lock but i think i did it myself so not too hard to move those eye bolts
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote