Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2023, 02:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 21C ---------- 2023 Toyota Tundra Platinum
Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch

Is anyone using the Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch? It looks like it would be a little easier to hitch up compared to the E2 Fastway. I would appreciate anyone with experience with the Andersen to comment how it is working out. Thinking about getting it for my 21C on order.
scottarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 03:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
I like it very much. We've had it installed for a bit over 8,000 towing miles to date. As is often mentioned, the oddball no-grease design makes it much cleaner and easier to deal with as it’s much lighter and cleaner than a traditional WDH.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post420367
Old 08-05-2023, 03:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
I have used it for 10 years and like It. It is very easy to set up and take down.
Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 07:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I love our Andersen. It is easy to set up and take down. Like the built in anti sway as well. And it is quiet!
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 09:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottarue View Post
Is anyone using the Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch? It looks like it would be a little easier to hitch up compared to the E2 Fastway. I would appreciate anyone with experience with the Andersen to comment how it is working out. Thinking about getting it for my 21C on order.
We bought one locally to haul with us to Sumas to pick up our trailer. I installed it myself in the Bob's Burgers parking lot. I had no problems on our 3+ week, ~1,500 mile meander back home in our E21C. I wound up adjusting the chains a little tighter than the manual recommended, making the ride a little less bouncy. When I went back to the place I bought the hitch, they said I had it about right.

There are a couple of quirks to it that I wasn't expecting.
  • Don't forget to latch the coupler before hooking up the weight distribution chains.
  • You want to hook the chains up when the coupler is connected, but without any visible weight on the vehicle.
  • It's much easier to deal with if you can line-up the tow vehicle with the trailer, as opposed to some off-angle.
  • You'll sometimes need to use a pry bar or a rubber hammer on the "boomerang" below the hitch ball to make it straight. (If you hitch-up at a different angle than you unhitched.)

With only about 2k miles on it so far, it's worked for me.
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 09:42 PM   #6

I would caution against trying to align the "Boomerang" piece with force. I do believe the manual says to not do that. If you can't align it by backing the TV at an appropriate angle, you should loosen one of the chains and drive forward in the direction the chain was loosened. That will straighten it up, then secure your chains.

However if your alignment is not 100% accurate, that is OK
Old 08-05-2023, 11:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
I would caution against trying to align the "Boomerang" piece with force. I do believe the manual says to not do that.
The specialty shop that sold me the hitch (and that's all they've done in their business for 55 years), said it was OK to gently persuade the piece into position if the ball is not yet tight in the coupler. They recommended a pry bar, but said a rubber hammer wouldn't do any damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
If you can't align it by backing the TV at an appropriate angle, you should loosen one of the chains and drive forward in the direction the chain was loosened.
I've been in several spots, including my storage lot, where there's not room to hitch-up straight in or out.

But what you advise is certainly ideal if you have the space.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Simply hitch the ball
Move the trailer to align the hitch
Then hook it up
No hammer needed
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Simply hitch the ball
Move the trailer to align the hitch
Then hook it up
No hammer needed
Totally agree, not necessary to always be straight when hitching up or unhitching
Old 11-28-2023, 08:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2024 21C ---------- 2023 Toyota Tundra Platinum
Hi - I am picking up my 21C in Sumas so might try installing the hitch at Bob's Burgers as you did. Can you estimate the length of time it took you to install? Also, is there adequate room on the 21C frame to install the brackets that hold the chains? I am a little handy, but not an expert by any means. I am nervous about installing it myself and pulling away from Sumas with a secure hitch.
scottarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post
You'll sometimes need to use a pry bar or a rubber hammer on the "boomerang" below the hitch ball to make it straight. (If you hitch-up at a different angle than you unhitched.)
As an update, I learned that all I have to do is stand on the chain on one side or the other to adjust the boomerang, so no hammers or crowbars anymore.

Quote:
I am picking up my 21C in Sumas so might try installing the hitch at Bob's Burgers as you did. Can you estimate the length of time it took you to install? Also, is there adequate room on the 21C frame to install the brackets that hold the chains?
Including a quick phone call to the hitch dealer, I think it took me an hour to install it initially in the parking lot.

It took me a while to make sure that I brought all of the right tools.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230404 Andersen install 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	71740

Then I had to take a break and call the hitch dealer because I wasn't sure exactly where the brackets should be mounted. I wound up having to cut and replace cable ties for the propane hose.

Name:	20230404 Andersen install 2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	71743

Our trailer arrived in Sumas at 10:15am, and we were pulling out of the lot a little after 11:30am.

Name:	20230404 Andersen installed.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	71742
Old 11-28-2023, 08:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Hi - I am picking up my 21C in Sumas so might try installing the hitch at Bob's Burgers as you did. Can you estimate the length of time it took you to install? Also, is there adequate room on the 21C frame to install the brackets that hold the chains? I am a little handy, but not an expert by any means. I am nervous about installing it myself and pulling away from Sumas with a secure hitch.
Wait- is ETI still charging $2500 to deliver a trailer 21 miles from the factory?

If so, and you end up picking it up at the factory perhaps they will install it for a nominal charge. Hoping you got a longer stinger than stock which Andersen will include if ordered from them. If not, it is unlikely you will be able to lower your tailgate without hitting the propane tank cover.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Wait- is ETI still charging $2500 to deliver a trailer 21 miles from the factory?
When we purchased our trailer, picking it up in January 2018, you could not pick the trailer up at the factory. Escape was responsible for exporting it to the USA.

Once it was delivered in Sumas, we could have crossed the border going north.

I don’t know anything about $2500. Back before the earth cooled, there was a nominal fee associated with the export paperwork, more on the order of one hundred dollars than twenty five hundred.
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
When we purchased our trailer, picking it up in January 2018, you could not pick the trailer up at the factory. Escape was responsible for exporting it to the USA.

Once it was delivered in Sumas, we could have crossed the border going north.

I don’t know anything about $2500. Back before the earth cooled, there was a nominal fee associated with the export paperwork, more on the order of one hundred dollars than twenty five hundred.
See Post #8 Hopefully different now, however as of 10/30/23 it is their policy.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...mas-25449.html
Old 11-29-2023, 12:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Quote:

If so, and you end up picking it up at the factory perhaps they will install it for a nominal charge. Hoping you got a longer stinger than stock which Andersen will include if ordered from them. If not, it is unlikely you will be able to lower your tailgate without hitting the propane tank cover.
I spoke with ETI today as we finalized my build for a Feb. 2024 completion. They made me aware that all trailers shipped/delivered to the United States will incur a $2,500 delivery fee--including Sumas, WA. (picking up in Chilliwack is available and free.)

Also, ETI no longer sells the Andersen WDH and will only install the 2 systems they currently sell.

I called Trademasters in Chilliwack; they do sell & install the Andersen WDH. They quoted a price of $870.00 + $125.00 installation charge (I neglected to ask if that was in CAD or USD.)

Here's the Andersen WDH installation & adjustment video, from Andersen:
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 02:04 AM   #16

Quote:
See Post #8 Hopefully different now, however as of 10/30/23 it is their policy.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...mas-25449.html
Well golly gee wiz. I don’t follow the forum much anymore, so this was all news to me.

Reace told us on our pickup visit that he quit installing the Andersen as the lining material in the cone would get really noisy. He said you could hear it howling whenever someone came onto the lot.

I think that was before the Andersen redesign. I’m really happy with ours.

I got lazy on our last trip and didn’t equalize the chain tension one morning when we hitched. I figured it would balance itself as we drove. Nope. It felt funky making turns in one direction and was still loose on one side after towing for several hours. Lesson learned.
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote