Anyone Switch from P/SL to LT Tires on Tow Vehicle? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I almost hate to admit it with all the Michelin fans here, but I've been pleased with a set of BF Goodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2s on my F 150. LT275/55R20 D rated.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:49 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Are your Michelin's LT rated? If so, what size?

Maybe not. I thought they were due to the "LTX" label but I'm not familiar with tire lingo. Here is what is on the tire:

Michelin LTX M/S
245/75R16
Treadwear 800
Traction A
Temperature A
M+S

I can tell you that I've pulled my trailer more than 40,000 miles with Michelins and have had no problems.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:49 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinBC View Post
That’s right. Got my ex’s confused 😉
I never get my ex's confused, one lives in Maryland, the other in Florida......
Old 03-30-2022, 05:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The old Excursion would have been comparable to an F-150...
That was supposed to say that the old Excursion would have been comparable to an F-250 (or SuperDuty), and I thought that I caught the typo immediately after posting it... but apparently not.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Maybe not. I thought they were due to the "LTX" label but I'm not familiar with tire lingo. Here is what is on the tire:

Michelin LTX M/S
245/75R16
The "LTX" in the name is to suggest that the model of tire is suitable for light trucks in "cross country" service, and that's true.
The lack of "LT" in the specification means that it is not a Light Truck tire as defined by Tire and Rim Association standards; with no letter in front, it apparently follows European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation standards instead... which is not a problem, it's just not an "LT" rated tire.

People have been fooled by this sort of tire model naming for a long time. There are also tires sold specifically for trailer service which are built to LT standards rather than ST... and that's okay, too.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:45 PM   #26

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I am sort of shocked no one has noted that when using non LT or Commercial rated tires in a truck or a motor home or a commercial vehicle or on a trailer in the US requires that the weight the "P" or "SL"(standard load) rated tires is legally allowed carry will carry is actually reduced by when used on one of those uses.

"S4.2.2.3 (a) For vehicles equipped with P-metric tires, the vehicle
normal load on the tire shall be no greater than the value of 94 percent
of the derated load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended
cold inflation pressure for that tire."
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #27

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
I am sort of shocked no one has noted that when using non LT or Commercial rated tires in a truck or a motor home or a commercial vehicle or on a trailer in the US requires that the weight the "P" or "SL"(standard load) rated tires is legally allowed carry will carry is actually reduced by when used on one of those uses.
If a vehicle is factory-equipped with P-rated tires (which I imagine is the case for most 1/2 ton or mid-size trucks), would vehicle's published GVWR/GAWR numbers not reflect this?
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post

"S4.2.2.3 (a) For vehicles equipped with P-metric tires, the vehicle
normal load on the tire shall be no greater than the value of 94 percent
of the derated load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended
cold inflation pressure for that tire."
That de-rating is true, but I'm not shocked that it hasn't come up, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
If a vehicle is factory-equipped with P-rated tires (which I imagine is the case for most 1/2 ton or mid-size trucks), would vehicle's published GVWR/GAWR numbers not reflect this?
Yes, "P" tires are common on light trucks, and tire selection by the auto manufacturer considers the resulting tire de-rating. And it typically doesn't matter because most factory-available tires on non-commercial trucks have more capacity than needed - even after de-rating - because they are so unnecessarily large.

My minivan came on "P" tires, even though any van fits in the "truck, van, and trailer" vehicle category for which the de-rating is required by industry standards. That's okay - they're sized suitably... and in fact the GAWR for the rear matches the de-rated total capacity of the two tires in the base size, which I'm sure is not a coincidence.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:39 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Yep, I knew my Michelin Defender LTX M/S were not "LT" (nor "P") tires when I bought them. The door-placard OE spec tires are "P 235/70 R17" for my 7050 GVWR F150. The same size Defenders I now run happen to have a slightly higher load rating than the OE "P-labeled" Hankook tires which were already generously above the F&R GAWR.

I'm OK with that. Haven't done a direct comparison but I suspect the ride comfort would suffer a tad with an "LT" tire of the same size. I could well be wrong, again.

One reason I'm a Michelin fan .... many years ago my Dad put new Michelins on his Airstream-towing 2WD Suburban. Only a few thousand miles later the posi-traction differential started whining constantly. The tire shop determined one tire was out-of-spec inflated OD. The tire shop advised Michelin corporate and they (Michelin), without prompting, paid for the rebuild of the P-trac, refunded the cost of all tires, and had the dealer install another full set of (carefully checked) new tires. Defects happen, Michelin responded, earned two fans in the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin LTX sidewall 01.jpg  
Old 03-31-2022, 01:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I'm a big fan of Continental and now General tires having had both on my Subaru and Ford F150 with no problems. I've found Michelin tires to be wanting vs what I've paid. I think they're way overrated.
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 03:18 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
I have Michelin Defender LTX on my Tundra and love them. Very smooth ride and long wear. And they have the LT rating!
Attached Thumbnails
426F2174-1C4E-47AD-B143-FD6B40387E52.jpg   87599B6A-FCD0-4351-9AC8-29714E320516.jpg  
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:46 PM   #32
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Well....we just bit the bullet and forked over the dough for some Michelin Defenders LTX and decided to go with the LT rated tires this time. Just drove home from Costco and so far they feel great. Very stable. Set the PSI to 55 and added some metal stems. Will probably decrease the PSI a bit until we find the sweet spot for towing. BTW I measured the rims with the old and new tires and turns out we are 0.5 inches taller all around now so the hitch ball will be a little higher now. Interesting....hopefully we won't need to adjust anything.

Now to find a new wheel/rim for the new spare, since the spare wheel/rim was not the same size.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:54 PM   #33

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
I'm too late to this party. Hope you enjoy the tires.

I've found since my F150 was operated at or often exceeding GVWR for the first 4 years, and then usually operated with a load and towing since then, that LT tires made a huge difference in comparison to the factory P rated ones in handling.
The weight capacity of any tire is dependent on its pressure, so not running under inflated, especially when loaded, is important.
I've had zero flats with two sets of BFG KO2s, one in LT235/80R17 E, the other in LT34x10.5R17 D, vs three in the OEM tires. I don't know how much that has to do with luck vs tire design and build, but I've pulled screws and an electrical staple out of my LT tires and they had bent rather than penetrated the tire carcass.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
... the other in LT34x10.5R17...
In case anyone is curious, 34x10.5R17 is roughly 265/80R17, but in the "balloon tire" size designation scheme which usually has slightly different standards from the other size designation scheme.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:53 PM   #35

Quote:
I don't know how much that has to do with luck vs tire design and build, but I've pulled screws and an electrical staple out of my LT tires and they had bent rather than penetrated the tire carcass.
The higher the load range (allowed load for given size of tire), the more pressure is required. More pressure capability means more reinforcing cord... and thus probably better penetration resistance.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:30 PM   #36
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
I'm too late to this party. Hope you enjoy the tires.

I've found since my F150 was operated at or often exceeding GVWR for the first 4 years, and then usually operated with a load and towing since then, that LT tires made a huge difference in comparison to the factory P rated ones in handling.
The weight capacity of any tire is dependent on its pressure, so not running under inflated, especially when loaded, is important.
I've had zero flats with two sets of BFG KO2s, one in LT235/80R17 E, the other in LT34x10.5R17 D, vs three in the OEM tires. I don't know how much that has to do with luck vs tire design and build, but I've pulled screws and an electrical staple out of my LT tires and they had bent rather than penetrated the tire carcass.
Nope...never too late. And yes, the LT tires are already a big . Took our E21 down to Big Sur last week and could feel the difference on the road, especially on that beautiful and curvy Hwy 1 coastline. Yes, the ride is more like a truck but much prefer the stability for towing. I too, had a slow leak from a small nail in our OEM tires so from what you've said, hoping for less leaks/flats in the future, too. Cheers, - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote