Asking for a Friend - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2023, 02:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Asking for a Friend

Has anyone here towed an empty Escape 19 with a 4Runner with a standard (non-weight distribution) hitch? We're selling our Escape and the prospective buyers would like to use their existing hitch (previously towed a Casita) to get from Ohio to home in Boston.

We've always used a WDH with our Highlanders, first an Andersen, then an Equalizer, so I don't have any experience doing otherwise. Our Highlanders have much softer suspensions than the 4Runner.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Has anyone here towed an empty Escape 19 with a 4Runner with a standard (non-weight distribution) hitch? We're selling our Escape and the prospective buyers would like to use their existing hitch (previously towed a Casita) to get from Ohio to home in Boston.

We've always used a WDH with our Highlanders, first an Andersen, then an Equalizer, so I don't have any experience doing otherwise. Our Highlanders have much softer suspensions than the 4Runner.
Hi: Parker... IMHO if they're not in a hurry and can control their speed towing, if it were me I'd do it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 03:13 PM   #3

Great! Thanks, Alf. They seem to have a lot of towing experience, so that's good to hear.
Sorry to say goodbye to the Escape, but it seems like the time has come. I hope you hang in there for a long time yet!
Old 09-05-2023, 04:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Parker:

We have a 2015 17B, which is considerably lighter than a 19. We routinely tow it with our 2008 4Runner without a weight distributing hitch. Our experience doesn't answer your question, but may be of interest.

Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 04:20 PM   #5

Hi Dave,

That's another data point. They've towed a Casita, which is actually fairly heaving on the tongue, so it might not be that different. There would be no sway control, but with tandem axles, that's probably not a worry either. There is a chance the setup on our Equalizer hitch will work as-is, so that's another possibility.

Thanks,
Parker
Old 09-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 E19
I've towed my new-to-me 19' over 2,000 miles on the ball, no WD hitch or sway control. It tows great. That said, my Lexus GX470 (4Runner twin) has air suspension so there's no sag.
Old 09-05-2023, 04:55 PM   #7

That's great. So it sounds like it's all about having the right tow vehicle. The 4Runner has a pretty stout suspension, so I'm getting the idea it shouldn't be a problem. We really needed some kind of WDH with our Highlanders because they have a relatively soft suspension.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Our 2010 Escape was towed empty from VA to NJ when we bought it in 2016 without WDH. This was with a 2007 4Runner V6. It was also towed occasionally with a 2005 4Runner V6. Thousands of miles over 5 years or so with just a standard weight bearing hitch. Only time I had a sway issue I was way too light on the tongue, driving too fast and hit with a crosswind. In late 2021 added an Equalizer WDH and love how it tows. Still tow with the 2007 4Runner V6 and also a 2004 4Runner V8. Long story short they will be fine if they need to tow it straight on the ball to get home. Especially with their experience towing the Casita. I do recommend adding or setting up a WDH properly for the long run as the trailer tows much more solidly and it properly levels the tow vehicle.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Our 2010 Escape was towed empty from VA to NJ when we bought it in 2016 without WDH. This was with a 2007 4Runner V6. It was also towed occasionally with a 2005 4Runner V6. Thousands of miles over 5 years or so with just a standard weight bearing hitch. Only time I had a sway issue I was way too light on the tongue, driving too fast and hit with a crosswind. In late 2021 added an Equalizer WDH and love how it tows. Still tow with the 2007 4Runner V6 and also a 2004 4Runner V8. Long story short they will be fine if they need to tow it straight on the ball to get home. Especially with their experience towing the Casita. I do recommend adding or setting up a WDH properly for the long run as the trailer tows much more solidly and it properly levels the tow vehicle.
Awesome. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Don't know the vintage of the 4Runner in question, but this thread might be of interest. TMI perhaps, but hopefully of some value...

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...cle-20057.html

(Tow vehicle: 2012 4Runner Trail Edition, no WDH, Timbren rear TORSEQ "Suspension Enhancement System" bump stops , 30,000+ miles towing.)
Old 09-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
Don't know the vintage of the 4Runner in question, but this thread might be of interest. TMI perhaps, but hopefully of some value...

(Tow vehicle: 2012 4Runner Trail Edition, no WDH, Timbren rear TORSEQ "Suspension Enhancement System" bump stops , 30,000+ miles towing.)
More evidence of the capability of the 4Runner. Thanks. Sorry I raised this whole WDH question with the prospective buyers!
Old 09-06-2023, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post

Yes the year of the 4Runner was not mentioned but I figured it is a 5th gen since they have been in service since 2010. They have tow ratings between 4700 and 5000#. The 4th gen tow capacity is 5000# and has the same V6 as the newer 4Runners so I expect them to tow very similarly - hence sharing my experience with the older model. The only model with an appreciable difference in tow capacity is the 4th gen V8 4Runner which is rated for 7000 - 7300#. That's why I scooped up a dealer maintained, low mileage V8 when it fell in my lap.
Attached Thumbnails
T4R Escape.jpg  
Old 09-06-2023, 05:47 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
4Runner hitch type

We towed our 21 with our 2003 4Runner V6 for the first two years and about 30,000 miles.

A close examination of the owners' manual shows that the standard weight-bearing hitch is rated to tow 5,000 pounds but a weight distribution capable frame rail mounted hitch is rated at 6500 pounds.

It was a fairly cheap and not too difficult effort to remove the standard weight-bearing hitch (which does not bolt to the frame rails) and replace it with the more capable one.

If your buyer chooses to use that 4Runner long term, you could pass this along. I have used an Andersen weight distribution system ever since, first on the 4Runner and then on subsequent pickups. I like it.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
It was a fairly cheap and not too difficult effort to remove the standard weight-bearing hitch (which does not bolt to the frame rails) and replace it with the more capable one.
That’s exactly what we did on the 2007 before using it with the WDH. Have to look close at the older 4Runners though and make sure there isn’t excessive rust. That can really hamper the install if the threaded holes that have been sitting open for years are messed up.

By the way I don’t think they make a full frame hitch for the 2010 and up 4Runners. No mention of using WDH in the manual either but I know some guys who are using them with the factory hitch.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:01 PM   #15

Trailer: None yet - looking at Escape 21
We have a 2008 forerunner V-8 that we tow a 19 foot, 3600 pound dry weight trailer with no problem. The V8 is rated to 7000 pounds. If you have the V6 I think it is rated to 5000. I doubt that you have any trouble towing a 19 foot escape. We towed it 10,000 miles earlier this year and are on a second 7000 mile excursion that we just started yesterday.
johnborton69 is offline   Reply With Quote