Beginning to research tow vehicles. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2024, 01:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019
Beginning to research tow vehicles.

Beginning to research tow vehicles. Who can provide insight in the following configuration? Ford F-150, SuperCrew, 4x4, 2.7L EcoBoost, 3.55 rear end, GVWR #6600, Payload #1540. Can any 5.0 owner comment on pulling the 5.0 with the 2.7L Ecoboost? Secondly, what is the consequence of a 3.55 axle over a 3.42 axle.
Gairly1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:45 AM   #2

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gairly1989 View Post
Beginning to research tow vehicles. Who can provide insight in the following configuration? Ford F-150, SuperCrew, 4x4, 2.7L EcoBoost, 3.55 rear end, GVWR #6600, Payload #1540. Can any 5.0 owner comment on pulling the 5.0 with the 2.7L Ecoboost? Secondly, what is the consequence of a 3.55 axle over a 3.42 axle.
Ford makes very strong 9" rear ends and the 3.55 is a good all around gear for towing and I've been very happy with that gear. Good pull from off the line and carries a nice pull throughout. I don't have much experience on the Chevy 8.6" 3.42 gear other than most of my hotrod friends use Ford's 9" rear ends for strength.

Ford's options around the 3.55 are the 3.31 and the 3.73. I've had the 3.31's before and did not like them because they did't pull off the line well although I could do more MPH at the same RPM. If you plan on putting big (tall) tires on your truck I'd go with the 3.73'.

I have a 2016 F150 4x4 Supercrew 3.5 Ecoboost 3.55 gear and I think 1870'ish Lb Payload. Pulls our 21C without issue up steep mountain grades or straight into strong winds.

I'm still trying to find routes where the wind is always at my back.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
I would agree that the 3.55 is appropriate for towing 5.0. I don’t think the 3.31 is available with the towing package, and I don’t see the 3.73 as needed to tow an Escape. I have towed my 5.0 with a 2.7 EB and a 3.5 EB. While there is no difference in fuel efficiency when towing (because the 2.7 seemingly has to work harder), the 2.7 is more fuel efficient than the 3.5 when unattached. However, I still prefer the 3.5 because of its greater power. I would note that when on long inclines, the transmission temperature climbs higher and faster in the 2.7 than in the 3.5. In either case, I would recommend using Top Tier high detergent gasoline (Mobil/Exxon, Shell, Chevron, Marathon) rather than what is sold at 7-11 and some other convenience stores in an EcoBoost. All of the above are my personal opinions. YMMV!
Old 03-06-2024, 06:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:

Differences between 3.55 vs 3.42 is minimal. Ford doesn't offer a 3.42 rear gear so you must be comparing a GM product.

I would get the highest numerical gear available. Definitely avoid the base 3.31 gear. If you can get the 3.73's in the F150 pkg you're looking at then I'd opt for that final drive gear. Not that the F150 ecoboost with a 3.31 OR 3.55 final gear isn't fully capable of pulling a load like the 5.0 but you'd be surprised at how much more power the truck seems to have especially from a stop when moving from 3.31 to 3.73. I know because I made that gear swap in my truck.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:51 AM   #5

Trailer: N/A
I’d look closer at the Silverado. For some reason the 150 is the standard answer. Probably sometime in the past somebody said it was a good TV and then it just gets repeated. However, be aware that Ford has the absolute worst recall and warrantee rates in the industry. It’s so bad that Farley hired an external expert to find out why - they spend billions every year in fixing problems. What he found is that the biggest factor it’s cultural - when problems occur its a blame game. This is toxic, good companies have a culture of “let’s fix it and not let it happen again”. If you know the history of Detroit you’ll recognize that this comes directly from the Henry Ford in the old days. Meanwhile, I have a colleague to interned with GM, and he told me that they do have a culture of ‘do it right’.

So certainly lots of people have good experience with their Fords, but it’s a statistical game, personally I’ll stick with GM. Personally I’m getting a 500 mile Silverado EV, but if you want a fossil burner I’d get a four cylinder (or is it six?) Silverado with the 10 speed Allison transmission gas engine. They just did a major interior and engine refresh - you get lots of screens and features, and that engine certainly is a honey. If the EV wasn’t available I’d get one of these. And you can get the camera rear view mirror and pro rear gate - those both are fantastic that nobody else has (I have the mirror on my Bolt and love it). Also GM’s camera system is peerless.

If you spec out a Silverado then just add the towing package, it will give you the towing axel ratio, and otherwise don’t worry about it.
EscapingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
.... Who can provide insight in the following configuration? Ford F-150, SuperCrew, 4x4, 2.7L EcoBoost, 3.55 rear end, GVWR #6600, Payload #1540.....
FYI / FWIW I've attached the latest (current Job 2 production) 2024 F150 Order guide, having deleted pages for trims where the 2.7 engine is not available to meet forum file size limitations. Here is a link for the unabridged 2024 Order Guide.

Ford is on a rampage to reduce its options and bundling choices, purportedly based on what the recent market has demanded (IOW, what has sold in bigger numbers over the last few years). There were much broader options available with the 2.7 engine in prior model years.

Among the things you will note, all specific to the 2.7 engine availability:
  • The 2.7 is not available on any trim higher than XLT
  • The 2.7 standard non-limited slip axle ratio is 3.55:1; optional electronic locking axle ratios are 3.55 and 3.73
  • There is no "Tow / Haul Package" available with the 2.7
  • Because the Tow / Haul package is not available with the 2.7, one also cannot get the optional stand-alone Trailer Tow Mirrors
  • The integrated Trailer Brake Controller can be ordered with the 2.7 as a stand-alone option
So, the 2.7EB truck many folks configured only a few years ago is no longer possible in some respects. It is what it is.

All of these options expand considerably IF one is open to the 3.5EB engine.

Certainly, other brands may allow you to tailor a truck more to your preferences.

Happy shopping, good luck with your decision.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Here's a (sort of) review of the Chevy.

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote