The Last Standard V8 Pickup - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2023, 04:16 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
The Last Standard V8 Pickup

The last pickup truck with a standard V8 is the 2024 Nissan Titan, and this is the last year you can get one. Read it here:

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2023...-nissan-titan/

Yes, you can still get V8s in Fords and Chevys (but not standard—and not at all on Tundras this year and Dodge Rams after 2024).

Not that I'm in the market for a truck, but those of you who are and might want a V8, better move soon.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 E19
Seems like a great place to park this meme...

Click image for larger version

Name:	V-8.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	72135
Old 12-21-2023, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Our all electric car works great. On three trips of 100 miles one way in the last three weeks we stopped to charge it up even through I still had range to return home with it. Total cost of three charges to top it off $12.00. Cost was $.17 per kWh. Total cost at the nearby Dairy Queen for ice cream while we were charging and perusing our phones: $17.00. The rest of my charging has been done at home at no additional cost to us. The 7.6 kWh solar array has adequate capacity to run my home requirements and keep the vehicle charged. I haven’t had a vehicle with a V-8 engine for nearly 20 years and somehow I’ve gotten by. Yes Virginia there is a replacement for displacement. An EV suits my lifestyle, not in a hurry, self sustaining, and doing my best to keep up with technology as I approach 8 decades on Earth. My lovely wife Rita took the attached photo in Wyoming last summer. The windmills were turning, the oil well not so much. She calls it “The past meets the future.”
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
39160E2B-D3E1-4782-AEB4-E65062ECDE2A.jpeg  
Old 12-21-2023, 05:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Ever have trouble with your V-8?
I have. I've seen a couple of them go up in flames.
Huh? Imagine.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 05:49 PM   #5

Iowa Dave
You've gone to the bright side, eh? What EV did you acquire?
But you do know that you'll be negatively impacting the state economy, as Iowa is the largest producer of ethanol gasoline additive/substitute, using 1/2 of the corn grown there for producing it.
But......wind energy in Iowa is the largest producer of electricity in the state.
It might be time you plop a small wind turbine up on your spread.
Old 12-21-2023, 05:53 PM   #6

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
You can also do a swap for one of these.

Who doesn't need 572 Cubic Inches of V8 power?
727 HP and 680 TQ
Attached Images

WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post

727 HP and 680 TQ
Me.

Chevy has stated they'll be producing a battery electric vehicle (BEV) Corvette. Hummm.
You've got to try an EV. 100% of torque, instantly.
Harley has an BEV motorcycle, with no oil leaks reported.
The times, they are a' changing.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:29 PM   #8
Site Team

Aside from the BEV pros and cons, I was wondering if anyone here had a Nissan pickup tow vehicle? I don't remember any mentioned, but I haven't been on this forum very long.

I was also wondering about the pros and cons of V8s vs the 4 and 6 cylinder engines (turbo and non) in the entry-level pickups these days. My guess is that they'll be working harder, so won't last as long.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Bright side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Iowa Dave
You've gone to the bright side, eh? What EV did you acquire?
But you do know that you'll be negatively impacting the state economy, as Iowa is the largest producer of ethanol gasoline additive/substitute, using 1/2 of the corn grown there for producing it.
But......wind energy in Iowa is the largest producer of electricity in the state.
It might be time you plop a small wind turbine up on your spread.
Hey Tom,
Couldn’t pass up the deal Rita negotiated on a Bolt EUV. We like it a lot. Intuitive to learn the Regenerative braking, comfortable ride and a very quiet cabin.

The ethanol production from over half of our corn crop seems decadent at best considering the millions of people who could use a little corn meal to eat. Not to mention the degradation of our waterways from land applied manure coming from hog confinement operations where most of the rest of the corn goes. Read the Swine Republic by Iowa writer Chris Jones and you’ll understand my disgust with the current state administration and the Farm Bureau.

Yes, there’s a lot of wind and it’s dependable to a degree and the same can be said for Solar. In December of 2020 we had installed a 7.6 kWh solar array on our south lot line. With tax rebates both state and federal we ended up with a 6.2 year payback. So in January we will be halfway there. That combined with geothermal heating and cooling, high efficiency windows, a metal roof to keep shingles out of the landfill and all LED lighting. We are doing what we can to reduce our carbon footprint, along with planting trees and maintaining my little prairie I can guarantee that the water that falls on our land stays on our land, no runoff.

On our farm ground we have 12 acres in wetland reserve, 40 foot wide fence rows full of songbirds and small animals and a couple small ponds for reptiles and amphibians. I am proud to call myself a conservationist. But not a conservative.

Hard to beat those December sunsets, hope you’re having a good holiday season and looking forward to camping in the spring.
Iowa Dave and Rita
Attached Thumbnails
80EA4E27-6F52-4870-92B0-4AABDC477C23.jpg   AA415634-4491-42E0-B614-6F7D4B39057E.jpg   80E89657-99BA-4108-8721-B55C93490E42.jpg  
Old 12-21-2023, 06:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Me.

Chevy has stated they'll be producing a battery electric vehicle (BEV) Corvette. Hummm.
Like with the electric Harley, you have to clip playing cards on the spoked wheels of the Vette so will make some noise. That's half the fun.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:27 PM   #11

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Me.

Yep, I've been the butt of many jokes for the past 7 years about driving one of those new fangled sissy boy 3.5L Twin Turbo 6 Cylinder Aluminum Fords while enjoying a 700 mile range and more TQ than the 5.0L V8 counterpart.

Once enough infrastructure gets built, run times and charging speeds become usable to pull my Escape around America I'll switch to the whisper rides. Until then I'll just listen to the turbo whistle.

I do like the peace and quiet.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 07:37 PM   #12

Quote:

Once enough infrastructure gets built, run times and charging speeds become usable to pull my Escape around America I'll switch to the whisper rides. Until then I'll just listen to the turbo whistle.

I do like the peace and quiet.
I'd forget about towing with a BEV for a good, long while. But for running around town, they're the "hot ticket".
Old 12-22-2023, 12:25 AM   #13

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
If anyone wants a throaty V8 in about a year, we will be saying goodbye to our 2022 RAM 5.7L Crew Cab, Laramie Sport 4X4 just before we pick up the 2025 RAMCharger electric truck with a 3.6L V6 that powers only the generator that charges the batteries.

Progress is our most important product.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 06:42 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
If anyone wants a throaty V8 in about a year, we will be saying goodbye to our 2022 RAM 5.7L Crew Cab, Laramie Sport 4X4 just before we pick up the 2025 RAMCharger electric truck with a 3.6L V6 that powers only the generator that charges the batteries.
Interesting; a true gas-electric vehicle. Will they offer a diesel version, too?
Old 12-22-2023, 07:45 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
The last pickup truck with a standard V8 is the 2024 Nissan Titan, and this is the last year you can get one. Read it here:

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2023...-nissan-titan/

Yes, you can still get V8s in Fords and Chevys (but not standard—and not at all on Tundras this year and Dodge Rams after 2024).

Not that I'm in the market for a truck, but those of you who are and might want a V8, better move soon.
Meh. The time has come and gone for the V8 IMHO. I'm happy where I'm at with the 3.5 EB in our F150.

One final thought about Wyoming and wind farms; the reality is Wyoming is practicing an "all of the above" strategy, meaning they are diversified across solar, wind, geothermal, oil and gas, and coal. Again, IMHO, states that focus on fossil fuel vs. renewable and vice versa are pandering to political influence. Wyoming is actually trying to help manage energy needs and deliver value to the country, not make a political statement. Kudos to them.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 07:58 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:

727 HP and 680 TQ

Or if you want to stick with a modern fuel injected V8 engine swap in order to stay emissions legal, Ford offers the Megazilla 7.3L.

Of course it'll set you back $22,995 which doesn't include the computer. That'll cost you another $2750 + the cost for a custom tune.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 08:41 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Meh. The time has come and gone for the V8 IMHO. I'm happy where I'm at with the 3.5 EB in our F150.

In a half ton application maybe, but Ford's own engine offerings across its truck lineup doesn't back that statement up. The F250 doesn't offer a V6 turbo engine option. Even though the 3.5L EB has as much HP, more torque and is way more fuel efficient than the smallest normally aspirated V8 that comes in the F250, for some reason Ford decided its not an option for the F250.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:42 AM   #18

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Interesting; a true gas-electric vehicle. Will they offer a diesel version, too?
My guess is no. RAM was putting the eco diesel in the 1500 when we bought ours, but models were hard to find. Guessing that the RAMCharger will give new life to the 3.6L V6 for the foreseeable future.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 11:56 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
A new statistic needs to be created for measuring torque from hybrid engines that includes the time the torque is produced. (Or maybe there is one but I don't know of it). The TRD Pro versions of the new Toyota Tacoma and Tundra boast tremendous amounts of torque, coming from the assist of their electric motors. But for how long?

For example: if I am towing with one of these vehicles up a steep mountain incline that goes for five miles or more, will that amount of torque be available when I get to the top? I would think the battery would become depleted and the motor would then be drawing energy from the engine, thus lowering the truck's total torque output.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 11:57 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Aside from the BEV pros and cons, I was wondering if anyone here had a Nissan pickup tow vehicle? I don't remember any mentioned, but I haven't been on this forum very long.

I was also wondering about the pros and cons of V8s vs the 4 and 6 cylinder engines (turbo and non) in the entry-level pickups these days. My guess is that they'll be working harder, so won't last as long.
Hi: MrLynn... 2010 New V6 4spd auto Frontier w/OD. Traded it in in 2018 had 176,000 kms on it. Everyone said it couldn't tow the 5.0TA. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040804.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote