Behavior of turbocharged engines when towing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2023, 03:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
I lean towards a SUV because it works better for me as a daily driver when not towing. Just put a deposit on a new twin turbo V6 Lexus GX 550.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 04:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
I lean towards a SUV because it works better for me as a daily driver when not towing. Just put a deposit on a new twin turbo V6 Lexus GX 550.
That sounds mighty nice. Oh, if only Santa Claus were real... I'd be good, honest!!
Old 08-26-2023, 04:52 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
That looks like a fine machine. Is it based off of the new Land Cruiser?
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 05:17 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
That sounds mighty nice. Oh, if only Santa Claus were real... I'd be good, honest!!
What do you mean Santa isn't real?! Wait, what...
Old 08-26-2023, 06:42 PM   #25

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
Perhaps the greatest advantage of a turbocharged engine over naturally aspirated is it's ability to maintain power at altitude................
I'll state the the best aspect of a turbo motor for me is lots of torque at low RPMs.

I have had numerous F-150s throughout the years - (got a new one around every 18 months at work, as I was the guy that bought them all, so I got the new one and handed mine down!) from pulling a #5,500 27' Avion a number of years to now pulling an E19.

The 5.0 V8 F-150 SuperCrews, with a 3.55 rear end, as compared to the 3.5 V6 EcoBoost versions, felt as if someone had dropped anchor for the first 150' or so from a stop. The 3.5 EB twin turbo pulls like a diesel from a stop. No comparison..........I actually thought the trailer brakes were on, or something, the first time I towed with the 5.0 as compared to the 3.5 EB. Both got around the same MPG for me, towing, or not, similar to what others have said in this thread. Some other employees with the 2.7 EcoBoost V6 stated the same feeling as compared to the NA 5.0 V8.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 07:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post

Some other employees with the 2.7 EcoBoost V6 stated the same feeling as compared to the NA 5.0 V8.
Yup, I'm probably a minority buyer by choosing the 2.7 but it does everything I need it to do merging and on steep hills. Pulling out and passing uphill is a non-event under safe conditions.

I've never bothered checking fuel use etc. My view is that I'm going somewhere and whatever it costs is what it costs.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 07:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
... My view is that I'm going somewhere and whatever it costs is what it costs.

(happy with my 3.5EB / 5.0TA combination and as my daily driver)
Old 08-26-2023, 10:35 PM   #28

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, I'm probably a minority buyer by choosing the 2.7 but it does everything I need it to do merging and on steep hills. Pulling out and passing uphill is a non-event under safe conditions.

I've never bothered checking fuel use etc. My view is that I'm going somewhere and whatever it costs is what it costs.

Ron
Everyone I know that has the 2.7 EB V6 LOVES it...............

A pocket rocket!
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 01:38 AM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I don’t think a lot of people realize that the Ecoboost Engine is more than just a sign that is stuck onto the truck…it is a technology that other manufacturers have not been able to even come close to.

If you are comparing the fuel usage of an ecoboost engine, make sure you compare it to something that has the similar output. Most manufacturers don’t have anything that comes close in a gas engine.
EcoBoost is the combination of moderate turbocharger boost with direct fuel injection. While Ford was early in this technology, and uses it a lot, other manufacturers now have the same thing, with similar performance.

But yes, compare comparable vehicles.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 11:10 AM   #30

Trailer: ‘Tranquility Base’. 2023 5.0.
Quote:
Everyone I know that has the 2.7 EB V6 LOVES it...............

A pocket rocket!
I have a custom ordered 2022 2.7 EB which I ordered for our new 5.0 (which we will be getting mid October). I’ve yet to tow with it but love the truck, very quick if you floor it.

Best mileage I ever got was about 8.9L/100km (Canadian money). That’s about 26.5 US mpg.
That was a long drive at about 65-70km/h.
BritCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 11:32 AM   #31

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Quote:
I'll state the the best aspect of a turbo motor for me is lots of torque at low RPMs.

I have had numerous F-150s throughout the years - (got a new one around every 18 months at work, as I was the guy that bought them all, so I got the new one and handed mine down!) from pulling a #5,500 27' Avion a number of years to now pulling an E19.

The 5.0 V8 F-150 SuperCrews, with a 3.55 rear end, as compared to the 3.5 V6 EcoBoost versions, felt as if someone had dropped anchor for the first 150' or so from a stop. The 3.5 EB twin turbo pulls like a diesel from a stop. No comparison..........I actually thought the trailer brakes were on, or something, the first time I towed with the 5.0 as compared to the 3.5 EB. Both got around the same MPG for me, towing, or not, similar to what others have said in this thread. Some other employees with the 2.7 EcoBoost V6 stated the same feeling as compared to the NA 5.0 V8.
A few years ago we camped with two couples that had bought the exact same stickie bumper pull trailers. They also both bought new F150s. One got the 5.0 because he only towed with a v-8 and the other looked at the torque curve and bought the 3.5EB. After about a year the guy with the 5.0 upgraded to a diesel 250 because the guy in the 3.5 kept pulling away from him while the 5.0 was screaming.

New v-8s are more like racing engines from the 70s, they have to be spun up to create any torque. If you don’t like the feel of high rpms while towing that can really get on the nerves.

After hanging out with those guys for a few trips I bought a 2.7 EB because it was on the lot and had the options and discounts to make it work. I have been very happy for 5 years of towing, highway driving, and just plain usefulness.

I want the added functionality of the hybrid in my next truck, but that’s a few years off. The 2.7 is just solid.

Also, I drive the speed limit at almost all times, towing or not. Maybe a bit faster during the day while not towing and always a bit slower at night due to deer.

I once tried to maximize my mileage on a 250 mile trip when I first bought the truck. Maxed out at 65 mph and kept it real smooth. I was getting close to 25 mpg, iirc. Then I pulled out of a rest stop in front of some big trucks and put my foot into it to be polite. On an uphill grade. For about a mile or two. The trip mileage dropped by about 2-3 mpg even though I had already driven 200+ miles. The power is great, but it does not come from magic.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 11:40 AM   #32
Site Team

We test drove a number of different trucks when we were shopping for our 5.0 tow vehicle last November. The list included the F150 family including the V8, Tundra, Titan, and Chevy. Our top 3 where the 3.5EB F150, 2.7EB F150 and the Titan.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:15 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Aren't you lusting after the 2024 Tacoma turbo hybrid in the works? After a couple of years for Toyota to work out the bugs, of course.
Having been driving a Prius the past few months, I don't think a hybrid would do well towing... the electric boost is only good for a short while, climbing a long grade at highway speeds, they get lousy mileage and don't have much power. they are awesome in slow and go urban traffic as long as you remember to take it very easy. funny thing, tho, I drive cross town, I see 35-45 MPG. my wife drives it cross town, she sees under 30 MPG, yet I usually get there faster.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:27 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
re Ford truck V8s... some time in the early 00s, they went from a reliable 2 valve per cylinder design to a rather unreliable 3 valve per cylinder design that is prone to a bunch of expensive failure modes. Both of these engines are 5.4L in their most common truck configuration (the 2V also came as a 4.6, I believe).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 01:06 PM   #35

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
That looks like a fine machine. Is it based off of the new Land Cruiser?
New Land Cruiser coming as well on the Toyota side and same basic vehicle.
The biggest difference is the powertrain. The GX will come with the twin turbo 3.5L V6 and 10 speed Transmission and the Land Cruiser with have a Hybrid 2.4 L 4 Cylinder and 8 speed transmission. Towing on the highway & big hills the Hybrid won't be of any advantage and more confident in the V6.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:07 AM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Arrgh. Don't get me started. 400+ ft-lbs of torque?! My Taco pulls fine except for when it is in the mountains, where it gets pokey. It has 230 HP and 260 ft-lbs of torque, or the reverse. I'd want 300+ of each in a new vehicle.

Toyota has several new interesting drivetrains coming out in 24-25. Of particular interest is a four-cylinder turbo-diesel in their reintroduced Land Cruiser in '25. They have shared drivetrain components between the LC and the Tundra in the past, so I'd hope to see that engine in the '25 Tundra.
You won't see a diesel option in a Toyota in North America ever. Back before the VW scandal, Toyota said they couldn't make a diesel that could pass emissions and didn't understand how the competition was doing it. Diesels days are numbered in my opinion.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:47 AM   #37

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
You won't see a diesel option in a Toyota in North America ever. Back before the VW scandal, Toyota said they couldn't make a diesel that could pass emissions and didn't understand how the competition was doing it. Diesels days are numbered in my opinion.
"Rolling Coal" is a thing in the diesel power community. We've all experienced that young man in his lifted truck intentionally "Rolling Coal" in front of you from the stop light for show.

As an old man now I will never admit that my rear tires ever left any rolling smoke from a stop light.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 08:20 AM   #38

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Now that it is broken in our F150 2.7 Ecoboost in Tow/Haul mode where 10th gear is locked out is getting 16.22 American mpg towing an Escape 19. I don't exceed 65mph towing. Up and down hills (including the Rockies and Northern Ontario) is brilliant with the turbo uphill and grade shift logic downhill. Running without a trailer @ 70mph is 24.7 American mpg.
Ynnde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:50 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Two more questions

This is all really good info, thanks. Apparently the turbo boost in these engines comes on at low RPMs, enabling the strong low-speed torque. Exactly what one would want when towing a trailer.

I have two more questions regarding these engines:

1. Does anyone using the Ford Eco-boost engine have really high mileage on their truck, like > 200,000 miles? If so, how has it held up?

2. Is anyone towing with the newer Tundra with its turbo V6? If so, how do you like it?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 10:24 AM   #40

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
1. Does anyone using the Ford Eco-boost engine have really high mileage on their truck, like > 200,000 miles? If so, how has it held up?
No first-hand experience near those miles.

Just FYI, the 2.7EB oil pump is driven via a 'wet-belt' system (a synthetic belt running in oil in the oil-pan) while the 3.5EB oil pump is driven directly by a connection on the front of the crankshaft.

The wet-belt drive system is not unique to Ford or the 2.7EB among Ford engines, claims to be a "lifetime" belt (there is no scheduled replacement interval), the system has been around for a number of years and seems to enjoy a generally favorable reputation in many applications (Ford and otherwise). The interweb being what it is, one can of course find anecdotes claiming failures.

Not to imply any issues with or disparage the wet-belt system, it's just a 'feature difference' I find interesting, perhaps you too if you really anticipate pushing >200,000 miles?

Aside, both the Ford 2.7EB and 3.5EB in the F150 use timing chains, not belts.