Concern with the stock tire speed rating? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #101

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Why? 50 psi (if following Escape's recommendation) or perhaps less was suitable for the Load Range C tires, so the same pressure will work the same way with Load Range D tires. If you choose to apply other logic, that's your choice.
Oh my still very confused . The C tires we ran at 48 pressure . I think our tires said max 50 then . The new tires I have 59-60 and they say 65 max . Are you saying it doesn't matter tire pressure it is the weight of the trailer ? With our new tires I did notice they ran cooler then the previous tires . Same time of year and conditions . Temps over 100 +. The tires got over 100 degrees in temp. This last trip tires never got over 95 temp . The road was even hot . I was mostly traveling 59-62 on highway 5 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #102

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Something to watch when a tire blows out
Go Faster Than 65 MPH In An RV And Risk This Scary Result
Old 11-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #103

I think the speed you drive while towing is a personal choice and you should have the right to express yourself without recrimination. I find that as I age that my comfort zone is getting smaller. I also detest driving on California freeways with a 55 limit while others go around me doing 80. I'm not calling anyone here an idiot, but unless everyone else slows down it makes for an uncomfortable situation. I felt the same in Seattle traffic, they cut you off and have no regard that you are twice their length. I feel that all trucks should be limited to 55 as well as trailers and cars. Too many accidents due to speeding. Just my thoughts on the subject, you should slow down, when towing, bad weather, heavy traffic,at night, when tired.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #104

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I've never understood why it is acceptable to drive 10 or 15 mph over the posted speed limit but unacceptable to drive 2 mph under the posted speed limit. It is remarkable how many people give me the one finger salute when I am towing in the right lane going 62 MPH in a 60 MPH zone. I can empathize with CPA Harley 2008 but have no solution to our mutual problem / concern.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #105

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Too many accidents due to speeding.
From the NHTSA: "NHTSA considers a crash to be speeding-related if the driver was charged with a speeding-related offense or if an officer indicated that racing, driving too fast for conditions, or exceeding the posted speed limit was a contributing factor in the crash. Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be $40.4 billion per year. In 2007, speeding was a contributing factor in 31 percent of all fatal crashes, and 13,040 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes."

Personal choice? 13,040 people...not their choice, for sure.

(Italics mine.)
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #106

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Unless I have no demands at all on my time, I like to keep up with traffic when I am towing and will typically tow at or very near to the speed limit. I am quite comfortable doing so, even on fairly busy highways. The safest conditions are when all of the traffic is moving at nearly the same speed. IMHO, those drivers going much faster or much slower than the rest of the traffic are much more of a hazard than the guy (me) towing a camper trailer at the same speed as the majority of the other traffic on the road.

I must say that on a recent trip through Montana where the speed limit on the freeways was 80 mph, towing at the freeway speed limit (especially at night) was a little bit outside of my comfort zone, and I did tend to travel a little slower than the limit on those roads.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #107

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
The safest conditions are when all of the traffic is moving at nearly the same speed. IMHO, those drivers going much faster or much slower than the rest of the traffic are much more of a hazard than the guy (me) towing a camper trailer at the same speed as the majority of the other traffic on the road.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #108

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
From the NHTSA: "NHTSA considers a crash to be speeding-related if the driver was charged with a speeding-related offense or if an officer indicated that racing, driving too fast for conditions, or exceeding the posted speed limit was a contributing factor in the crash. Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be $40.4 billion per year. In 2007, speeding was a contributing factor in 31 percent of all fatal crashes, and 13,040 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes."

Personal choice? 13,040 people...not their choice, for sure.

(Italics mine.)
Well, while we may say that those people did not make that choice, perhaps many of them chose to speed --- and as you say many did not, and were the victims of those others who chose to speed. Yes, speeding is often considered the main factor in most of the worst collisions.

Speeders often use other speeders as their excuse for speeding. Anyone driving safely keeps a safe distance so it is irrelevant whether others are going fast or slowly. If someone chooses to run up on someone who is going more slowly, that is not keeping a safe distance. If they have a lane to pass, they can pass but they do not need to run up on another vehicle to do that. Most drivers seem to have no idea that they should be keeping any safe distance away, using the seconds in distance you mentioned or the one car length per 10 mph.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #109

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug & Betty View Post
Our 19 hatched in August with "Rainier ST" tires mounted on white steel wheels, load range D, 65 psi max. I don't know who makes these tires as I've never heard of a Rainier tire and there is no other name or make on them.
With our previous trailers we would run 65 psi max tires at 62psi. I was just wondering about being told to run them at 50psi at orientation, and the pros/cons of this? I could not find any speed rating on the tires.
The same tire came on my August, steel wheeled 21.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #110
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've spent 16 years of my life as a professional driver. You know the kind with the red and blue lights on top of the car? I went through hundreds of hours of driver training learning techniques the average citizen would never need to know. I've heard every excuse in the book that someone can say to justify their behavior. My favorite is "everybody is doing it." That attitude starts in the teenage years, some people never outgrow it. It's truly up to you to decide whether to obey a law or not....any law. I only know, I'll never knowingly or willingly flaunt a law for my purpose or to assist others and that's not just motor vehicle laws. Each of us live within our own skin. How you choose to live your life is your decision. I've made mine.

(Donna D. who follows the Basic Rule while driving and/or towing)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #111

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Oh my still very confused .
I think we're just rehashing the entire recent tire pressure discussion, which seems pointless to me... so I'll pass.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #112

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Looks like Ranier is an Elkhart Ind spinoff to provide Chinese made trailer tires to RV mfgrs.

https://www.trademarkia.com/rainier-86011572.html

Appears that almost all the Elkhart brands are coming out with Ranier tires.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #113
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Looks like Ranier is an Elkhart Ind spinoff to provide Chinese made trailer tires to RV mfgrs.

Appears that almost all the Elkhart brands are coming out with Ranier tires.
Not to stir the pot and start another long argument, but it appears that Rainier tires do have a nickname among RV owners, deserved or not: "China Bombs". Something to do with their propensity to blowout at normal speeds with normal inflation. Granted, this may have been just a bad run of tires, or it may affect certain sizes more severely.
Attached Thumbnails
7I63djS.jpg   CPZpYbX.jpg   daIYumG.jpg  
Old 11-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #114

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think that term is applied to just about any product from China at any time, deserved or not.
It's designed to make one feel better about oneself, deserved or not.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #115

Marathons were thought of as inferior at first, now they seem to be normal, perhaps the same will happen with the Ranier brand?
Old 11-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #116

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post

Good confirmation that this is a Tredit house brand. Tredit has several locations, including Elkhart.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #117

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Tires are Carlisle Load Range C with a speed rating of 85 MPH

Today Escape emailed me that the tires that come on the 5.0TA are Carlisle Load Range C with a speed rating of 85 MPH. So it seems that the initial information I got was a bit inaccurate.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #118

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Is that mounted on the steel or aluminium rims?
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #119

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've spent 16 years of my life as a professional driver. You know the kind with the red and blue lights on top of the car? I went through hundreds of hours of driver training learning techniques the average citizen would never need to know. I've heard every excuse in the book that someone can say to justify their behavior. My favorite is "everybody is doing it." That attitude starts in the teenage years, some people never outgrow it. It's truly up to you to decide whether to obey a law or not....any law. I only know, I'll never knowingly or willingly flaunt a law for my purpose or to assist others and that's not just motor vehicle laws. Each of us live within our own skin. How you choose to live your life is your decision. I've made mine.

(Donna D. who follows the Basic Rule while driving and/or towing)
Could not have said it better myself - I hold myself to the same standards. 38 years military (USCG) and law enforcement service.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #120
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
Today Escape emailed me that the tires that come on the 5.0TA are Carlisle Load Range C with a speed rating of 85 MPH. So it seems that the initial information I got was a bit inaccurate.
And it seems it's still inaccurate. The speed rating for the Radial Trail HD tires is 81 mph (speed index M) not 85 - both for the LR C and the LR D.

Tags
speed rating, tires