Current top picks for tow vehicle for 21' - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #121

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Our truck has the 5.7 Ltr , Hemi V8 with the 8 speed transmission and a 3.92 rearend . We also have the Line X spray in bed liner.
Works okay for us and our needs
If we purchase a Ford Eco Boost with the 10 speed transmission we may consider a 3.73 rearend because of the turbos but ?
Our truck is primarily used for towing so the ability to tow is our uppermost concern.
A friend of ours recently purchased a Ram 2500 Cummins diesel with the 3.41 rearend for towing his 34 ft lightweight 5th wheel .
He is not happy with the trucks performance when towing.
There is a recall going on for some of the Fiat/Dodge pickups.
From what I read it is not a serious problem, looks more like the lawyers said fix it now.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...all/977538001/
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #122

One big advantage with a pickup, throwing stinky and/or dirty stuff in the bed. Many times, like having to break camp in the rain, it's priceless. No stinky stuff in the passenger compartment either.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #123

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
One big advantage with a pickup, throwing stinky and/or dirty stuff in the bed. Many times, like having to break camp in the rain, it's priceless. No stinky stuff in the passenger compartment either.
We have friends who like to box up their foods scraps, trash and dog poo in a box and leave it in the bed of their pickup truck when they go to Walmart. They said at least once every trip someone takes it. If still there they just dropped in in the dumpster on the way back to their site.
We have a topper so we can't try it.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #124

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
Good thread, I have 21 on order, and have been considering TV's. I already have 09 Tundra 4.7 V8, nice to know others are having success towing 21......Another point I have noticed, with web, it's easier to buy a good used TV now a days, compared to maybe 10 years ago. I will probably buy a used TV and save big on 1st year depreciation. Thanks
Prefer to buy good late model vehicles and looking back those were our best value by far. One exception was when we were looking for a Highlander a new end of year 2013 with factory hitch in bumper was less than asking price for used ones with 25K miles.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #125
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Prefer to buy good late model vehicles and looking back those were our best value by far. One exception was when we were looking for a Highlander a new end of year 2013 with factory hitch in bumper was less than asking price for used ones with 25K miles.
I agree, if purchasing. Because of my line of work though, leasing makes more sense. I'm out of town frequently as a consultant, and have no office to commute to when I'm home. Because of that, I put very few miles on a vehicle. Even including the trip to Osoyoos a couple years ago, I only put 6300 miles on my truck that entire year. A low mileage lease allows me to drive the latest vehicle they have, with all the bells and whistles, for about the same payment as a more basic or used one. My lease is up in March and my replacement is already on order. It'll be about the same payment I have now. I realize this won't work for most people, especially if you intend to keep a vehicle long term or you put alot of miles on it, but it definitely works for me.

My preference, in a perfect world, would be to pay cash for every vehicle and be done with it. But there is something to be said for leveraging the low rates and staying liquid. Once I'm retired, it'll be cash only or nothing at all.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #126

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have been following this thread over on the Airstream forum re: 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton trucks.....some interesting comments and thoughts
Please help: 2018 Globetrotter => 2018 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew Confirmation - Page 9 - Airstream Forums
Old 12-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #127

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I agree, if purchasing. Because of my line of work though, leasing makes more sense. I'm out of town frequently as a consultant, and have no office to commute to when I'm home. Because of that, I put very few miles on a vehicle. Even including the trip to Osoyoos a couple years ago, I only put 6300 miles on my truck that entire year. A low mileage lease allows me to drive the latest vehicle they have, with all the bells and whistles, for about the same payment as a more basic or used one. My lease is up in March and my replacement is already on order. It'll be about the same payment I have now. I realize this won't work for most people, especially if you intend to keep a vehicle long term or you put alot of miles on it, but it definitely works for me.

My preference, in a perfect world, would be to pay cash for every vehicle and be done with it. But there is something to be said for leveraging the low rates and staying liquid. Once I'm retired, it'll be cash only or nothing at all.
Hi: rbryan4... I hate to see my cash going down the drain on a depreciating asset. That's why I bought a fiberglass trailer.
Two things certain in my life. I can't live in my truck... and I can't drive my house. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #128

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
F150 with 3.5 ECO Boost

Another point I have noticed, with web, it's easier to buy a good used TV now a days, compared to maybe 10 years ago. I will probably buy a used TV and save big on 1st year depreciation. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I choose to find a good used (2015 with 34,000 miles) to avoid the high cost of a new one. With reasonable care it should last for most of my expected use and I was able to find a Platinum version so I have most of the top features available at the time.

Based on ratings I'm double the maximum loads I expect for my 21' and no one ever complains about too much TV , unless it's at the gas station.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #129

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oldman View Post
Another point I have noticed, with web, it's easier to buy a good used TV now a days, compared to maybe 10 years ago. I will probably buy a used TV and save big on 1st year depreciation. Thanks

That’s great!
We love Americans that buy our Canadian used trucks. Our Canadian Ford dealer gets a great price in US $ for used trucks he sends down south. I got a super trade in price for my low mile 2013 ecoboost. So much so it just made sense to buy new. All my life I kept vehicles 10 to 15 years but when I worked it out on paper the cost per year was very low. In another 5 years when the warranty is finished I will do the same. Please, please keep buying our used trucks.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #130

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
That’s great!
We love Americans that buy our Canadian used trucks. Our Canadian Ford dealer gets a great price in US $ for used trucks he sends down south. I got a super trade in price for my low mile 2013 ecoboost. So much so it just made sense to buy new. All my life I kept vehicles 10 to 15 years but when I worked it out on paper the cost per year was very low. In another 5 years when the warranty is finished I will do the same. Please, please keep buying our used trucks.
Two of my last three Ford Super Duty trucks, as well as my Honda Pilot went with of the border when I sold them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #131

Well, my new to me F-150 was built in Dearborn as are a lot of the F-150's, maybe they are just homesick. Either way it's great when we can make the finances work out for our best needs.

Looking forward to seeing and meting everyone next year with my new 21'.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #132

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I did not read back through these posts to see when you’re getting your Escape but the Wine Escape Rally in mid September in Niagara Falls Canada is a great rally with an international flavor that you can drive to easily in a day. My daughter from Fort Wayne pulls her boler there without a problem. Also the mid July Bolerama in southern Ontario is lots of fun too.
Watch the forums for details. Rallies are fun. Get a passport if you don’t already have one. Canadians know how to cook and have a good time. And they’re so nice.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #133
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Get a passport if you don’t already have one. Canadians know how to cook and have a good time. And they’re so nice.
Iowa Dave
Amen! Don't lock yourself out of one of the most beautiful countries in the world, with some of the best scenery, best camping and the best people you'll ever find.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #134

Thumbs up

Quote:
Amen! Don't lock yourself out of one of the most beautiful countries in the world, with some of the best scenery, best camping and the best people you'll ever find.
Martha and I both have passports ready and waiting. Our plans are in place to pick up our 21' Escape just before the Customer Appreciation rally and after the rally take the Trans-Canada Hwy across to Saute Saint Marie and down through Michigan to get home. There won't be enough time to explore as much as I want, but I think of my current trips as opportunities to preview where I want to return to once I'm retired.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #135

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oldman View Post
Martha and I both have passports ready and waiting. Our plans are in place to pick up our 21' Escape just before the Customer Appreciation rally and after the rally take the Trans-Canada Hwy across to Saute Saint Marie and down through Michigan to get home. There won't be enough time to explore as much as I want, but I think of my current trips as opportunities to preview where I want to return to once I'm retired.
That’s the spirit.
Dave
Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #136

Trailer: 2005 Rockwood 8240ss
Truck preference

My choice is the GMC Canyon with the Duramax Z71 with tow package. I like the mileage and exhaust brake. But for you what is your list of wants. Do you need 4 wheel drive? Do you like big power or mileage? Do you tow more than 5k? Is parking space important?
FFPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #137

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Tundra

When I was looking at new trucks to tow our Escape 21, my top priority was reliability. I checked Consumer Report and saw the top two trucks were the Tundra and the F150 with the Tundra being significantly above the F150. When I checked with the dealers, the Tundra and F150 with the large V8s were about the same price. I then checked KBB for 5 year old trucks and I was surprised that the Tundra was valued at about $4000 more than the F150.

We bought a Tundra 5.7. We have been very happy with it, although it doesn't get the best gas mileage. We get 13 to 14 when towing the Escape 21, on highways.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #138
Site Team

Consumer Reports may rate the Tundra 'significantly' above the F150, but I certainly don't.

Don't get me wrong. The Tundra is a good truck, and Toyotas do hold their value. But I'm not looking at magazine ratings as much as capability. In virtually every real world towing test I've ever seen, the F150 beats the Tundra - significantly.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #139

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Consumer Reports may rate the Tundra 'significantly' above the F150, but I certainly don't.

Don't get me wrong. The Tundra is a good truck, and Toyotas do hold their value. But I'm not looking at magazine ratings as much as capability. In virtually every real world towing test I've ever seen, the F150 beats the Tundra - significantly.
I have to agree , real world tests supercede CR tests any day.
Capability is more important in my world then resale value or fuel mileage
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #140

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have to agree , real world tests supercede CR tests any day.
Capability is more important in my world then resale value or fuel mileage
If we needed to replace the old girl with her 5.8 engine , it would be another Ford for sure . Did own a small Toyota for 12 years once . But our 26 year Ford F-250 gets a little over 15 mi to a gal , not towing , and 9-11 mi to gal towing our 19 .For us no reason to change .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote