Double tow with a 5.0TA? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 02:31 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfarmer View Post
Man when ever you get on this forum for good info on tandem pulling you get all the nontandem puller chiming in.
What exactly would you expect? I've never heard of someone tandem towing with a 5.0TA, since it's not designed or built for it. With all due respect, if you don't want the answer, perhaps you shouldn't ask the question?
Old 07-30-2021, 02:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfarmer View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated with this question. Man when ever you get on this forum for good info on tandem pulling you get all the nontandem puller chiming in.
People that normal tandem pull know the rules, have tandem pulled (scary to average person) and generally know how to do it. The question becomes can the 5.0 5th wheel pin handle it, the frame on back can be beefed up to handle a small 12'-16' boat or two to one 4 wheelers... What people want to know and see is the guy that has done it.
Not all the rest of the nay sayer stuff.

So who has done this?
🤔 in the time I’ve been a member of this forum I can only remember 1 person who tried double towing with his 5.0, and that was with a small utility trailer he used to carry stuff when he went to pick up his new 5.0. He is also 1 of the very few people I ever heard having issues towing his 5.0 ( if memory serves me, porpoising) and I believe these issues disappeared after got home and unhitched his little utility trailer. Since ETI doesn’t recommend doing it, who would know the trailer better than them?
And even if it can be done doesn’t necessarily make it a good idea.
Someone thought these where good ideas 😎
Attached Thumbnails
A7E52596-0CE6-472B-BE12-312CCFA5DB48.jpg   FD835FAF-459D-4B88-9992-D7C83900B1E3.jpg  
Old 07-30-2021, 03:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
If ETI does not recommend it, I expect that would affect insurance coverage if there was a problem. It doesn’t seem worth the risk to me, but you do you.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I find it interesting, and amusing, that a post whining about not getting the desired type of response has been attracted entirely posts (including mine) which are very much opposite to the desired type.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I find it interesting, and amusing, that a post whining about not getting the desired type of response has been attracted entirely posts (including mine) which are very much opposite to the desired type.
Well stated!
Old 07-30-2021, 04:19 PM   #26

Trailer: 1996
Hello

The 2” receiver on the back of the 5.0TA is meant for a bike rack. It is recommended to hold up to 150 LBS it is not meant for towing. If you go to www.escapeforum.org you may be able to see what other trailer owners have done in the past.

Warm Regards

Melisa Weinert, Customer Service

Escape Trailer Industries Ltd.

43851 Industrial Way, Bldg. B

Chilliwack, BC, V2R 4L2

Tel: 604 703 1650 Toll Free: 1 855 703 1650 Ext: 115

Fax: 604 703 1651
Old 07-30-2021, 04:22 PM   #27

Trailer: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔 in the time I’ve been a member of this forum I can only remember 1 person who tried double towing with his 5.0, and that was with a small utility trailer he used to carry stuff when he went to pick up his new 5.0. He is also 1 of the very few people I ever heard having issues towing his 5.0 ( if memory serves me, porpoising) and I believe these issues disappeared after got home and unhitched his little utility trailer. Since ETI doesn’t recommend doing it, who would know the trailer better than them?
And even if it can be done doesn’t necessarily make it a good idea.
Someone thought these where good ideas 😎
MNfarmer - We own a 2018 5.0ta and have double towed a small utility trailer without any issues. We winter in AZ and summer in MN. Every state along the route allows double towing. It's easy to check where double towing with a 5th wheel is legal. Your 5.0 towing setup must be a 5th wheel and not a gooseneck. I understood that the maximum tongue weight was 100#, but may be mistaken or it may have changed. Naysayers seem to have jumped on this, but we limit our speed to 65 mph and have had no issues.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve pulled triple bone wagons behind a fork lift in the packing house. Backing up is tough. Especially on a floor covered with a thin layer of lard. Even walking was tough the first couple of weeks till you got your lard legs. Does that count?.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-31-2021, 06:20 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thread closed for cooling off period!
Closed Thread