electronic brake controller for Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2021, 07:47 PM   #1

Trailer: put down deposit for Escape 19' Delivery date 12-9-2021
electronic brake controller for Escape 19

What are the basics I need to know about brake controller?
Will Escape take care of this? Other than informing them of my towing vehicle Tacoma 4W V6 .what will they need to know?
dblagsvedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblagsvedt View Post
Will Escape take care of this? Other than informing them of my towing vehicle Tacoma 4W V6 .what will they need to know?
I don't know if Escape will do it or not. But I had mine installed by my mechanic in shop. They are accustomed to installing brake controllers for farmers and other haulers on their trucks, so it was old hat.
Bladesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 21NE
When I recently received my pick-up date email one of the things listed in the "Vehicle Readiness" is the Electronic Brake Controller. You have to have it installed in order to pick up your trailer. They will not release the trailer to you without that, is my understanding.
Vehicle Readiness:
Prior to possession you need to ensure your tow vehicle is equipped with the following:

- Wiring for 7 pin RV plug
- Brake controller
- Class III Hitch installation

In addition, you will require a torque wrench and socket (as per attached photo). Customers are asked to tighten Escape lug nuts at 60/120 and 180 miles.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 E-19
The only thing Escape wanted to know from me was the height from ground to the lower interior edge of the receiver on my 2015 Tacoma (17.25") to set up my Fastway E2 WDH. I had already installed a Tekonsha (model P3, if memory serves) brake controller, from eTrailer, and it worked just fine. Check out the eTrailer site for lots of good info on controllers, installation, etc.
I'm happy to say that Escape nailed the WDH setup...and getting used to the P3 wasn't too much of a challenge.
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:11 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
if your Tacoma has the factory tow option, with a 2" reciever and a 7-blade RV connector, then you just need to get A) a Tekonsha brake controller such as the P3, and B) the Tekonsha to Toyota 'pigtail' adapter. mount the brake controller under your dash somewhere convenient where you can reach it to manually engage the brakes in an emergecy, and plug the pigtail adapter into the back of the Tekonsha, and into the Toyota brake controller socket which will be behind the top of the left side kick panel just under the dash. voila, done.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
The only thing Escape wanted to know from me was the height from ground to the lower interior edge of the receiver on my 2015 Tacoma (17.25") to set up my Fastway E2 WDH. I had already installed a Tekonsha (model P3, if memory serves) brake controller, from eTrailer, and it worked just fine. Check out the eTrailer site for lots of good info on controllers, installation, etc.
I'm happy to say that Escape nailed the WDH setup...and getting used to the P3 wasn't too much of a challenge.
Same result for me with ETI and WDH setup. Also, The tekonsha. P3 brake controller was plug and play in my 2019 Frontier and Dave (ETI) recommended setting 7 which seems to work just fine. Pretty worry free setup
Clkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I went with the red arc trailer brake controller. It is also plug n go granted it take a little longer to install but is a cleaner install n the controller is not a knee knocker as the tekonsha is.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #8

Trailer: put down deposit for Escape 19' Delivery date 12-9-2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblagsvedt View Post
Thanks everyone for your response. The logistics from being only in the tent camping world for 50 years and now transitioning into the recreational trailer culture is much more than anticipated but it will happen:
dblagsvedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I bought a new vehicle last August. The Toyota dealer sent it out to a hitch shop to have the brake controller and 7-pin wiring installed. So, suggest you Google "hitch shop, Tacoma" to find an installer.