Friction Sway control plate Mounting? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 17B 2012
Friction Sway control plate Mounting?

We just purchased a 2012 17B and would like to install a friction sway control bar. If I install the ball plate at 24" per the manufacture's instructions, the plate will be underneath the propane tanks.

I'm concerned that this would interfere with the movement of the sway control bar when driving. Will this be an issue, and if so, will I have to relocate the tanks further back to make sure they are out of the way?

What say ye? Has this been a problem for anyone else? Any advice from the Escape community would be greatly appreciated!
JG_OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't use a sway bar on my 2008 RAV4 and 2009 17B combo.
I use a Pro Series weight distribution hitch without sway bar and have had no issues with sway in a decade. Passed and been passed by semis and had to make abrupt lane changes a couple of times without issues.

I weigh the tongue from time to time with my Sherline scale to ensure I'm in 10 to 15 per cent of trailer weight range. Generally comes in at 320 -340 lbs.
Would be helpful if you posted what your tow vehicle is.

Pic of my WDH.
Attached Thumbnails
wdh c.u..jpg  
Old 03-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_OR View Post
We just purchased a 2012 17B and would like to install a friction sway control bar. If I install the ball plate at 24" per the manufacture's instructions, the plate will be underneath the propane tanks.

I'm concerned that this would interfere with the movement of the sway control bar when driving. Will this be an issue, and if so, will I have to relocate the tanks further back to make sure they are out of the way?

What say ye? Has this been a problem for anyone else? Any advice from the Escape community would be greatly appreciated!
Our bracket is under the propane tank tray. Doesn’t cause any issues except for sometimes the bar hits the tray and makes it a little difficult to get up onto the small ball at the vehicle end. One could always put it on the vehicle end first and then loosen it and simply rotate it onto the side mounted ball. I’ll take a picture tomorrow if I remember.

You must still take precautions to load properly (adequate tongue weight) and maintain safe speeds. Per Pro Series: “It doesn't prevent the generation of sway; it simply works to resist the forces once they have started.”
Old 03-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #4

We will be towing with a 07 4runner. According to the owners manual, we cannot use a WDH with the factory trailer hitch. So, we will be using a friction sway bar instead.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #5

Good to know that the tank brackets won't interfere with the bar. Some pictures would be great! Thanks!
Old 03-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The tank base is just screwed into the frame...you could just use a spacer and longer screws if you find you have a problem.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:03 PM   #7

Old 03-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Good to know that the tank brackets won't interfere with the bar. Some pictures would be great! Thanks!
Here are a couple of pictures. FWIW we also tow with a 2005 and 2007 4Runner V6. I understand that it recommends weight carrying setups only. The V8 hitch assembly is different. I have seen guys replace the hitch with an aftermarket setup to use weight distribution. I may go that route eventually. We have been fine without it so far but need to be very aware of proper tongue weight. One time I was light on the tongue, going too fast and got hit with a crosswind. Sway started and I was able to get it under control by braking ONLY the trailer with the manual override on the brake controller.

(Please excuse the frame condition. Road salt in our area wreaks havoc. Will be doing a full application of Corroseal rust converter/primer in the Spring.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1820.jpg   IMG_1821.jpg  
Old 03-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
The tank base is just screwed into the frame...you could just use a spacer and longer screws if you find you have a problem.
This might not be the case on earlier Escapes. I believe ours is tack welded to the frame.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is a lot of holes in your frame. Perhaps there is another set up. In addition sway indicates improper weight on the trailer tongue, perhaps a w/d and more weight up front would take care of any issues. You fail to mention your tow vehicle.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is a lot of holes in your frame. Perhaps there is another set up. In addition sway indicates improper weight on the trailer tongue, perhaps a w/d and more weight up front would take care of any issues. You fail to mention your tow vehicle.
That is how they are installed. No problems to report with many thousands of miles towing. Regarding tongue weight and tow vehicle reread post #8.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #12

Thanks for pictures. It sounds like tongue weight is crucial for preventing sway. We'll be sure to monitor that each time we load. What do most people use to measure their tongue weights? We are considering buying a tongue weight scale for this and are looking for recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sherline is costly compared to another style from Harbour Freight, but it is accurate +/- 2%.

When you order, specify the 1,000 lb. gauge, which is much easier to read than the 2,000 lb. gauge.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #14

Thanks for the information. Do you know anyone who has used a hitch ball with a built in scale?
Old 03-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The reviews I have seen were not too positive. The Sherline is just a little over $100 and easy to use, I have had one for over 6 years now and weigh my tongue several times a year.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #16

Thanks! We will look at those. Sounds like the best one available.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Do you know anyone who has used a hitch ball with a built in scale?
I have researched these but haven't pulled the trigger. Reviews are generally good. Not for use in conjunction with WDH.
www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Ball/Weigh-Safe/WSUN-1.html

That said, given the price of the Weigh Safe I would probably look at the Sherline scales as mentioned first. More flexibility in weighing and accuracy looks better based on the resolution of the gauge.
www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1000-Trailer-Tongue/dp/B007REJTGI
Old 03-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #18

Friction Sway control

I picked up an Escape 19 on March lst in Tucson with a 2003 4Runner (V8).

Before heading to Tucson I removed the "factory hitch" and had a Curt Hidden hitch installed because the E19 came with a WDH setup. The factory hitch will not handle the torque placed by the WDH and the remedy is to use a hidden hitch that bolts to sections on the frame ahead of the last frame cross member.

Hitching the E19 was easy and we traveled from Tucson, Phoenix, Carefree to Blythe, north and west to 29 Palms and then west to Goleta, California without any problems.

Conditions: cross-winds south of Phoenix; no problems
tail-winds into 29 Palms
cross-winds and rain storms into Santa Barbara

If you plan on using the 4Runner, which is more than adequate for a 17ft escape, remove the factory hitch and install a hidden hitch.

Side note: we had a 17 Casita with the EZ Sway bar and we had no problems towing the 17 foot trailer. But, with the 19 foot trailer a WDH is essential to keep the frame of the TV intact.

4Runner and Escape 19 in Arizona. Note how level the TV and trailer are with the WDH.

Cheers
DakotaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaSue View Post

Before heading to Tucson I removed the "factory hitch" and had a Curt Hidden hitch installed because the E19 came with a WDH setup. The factory hitch will not handle the torque placed by the WDH and the remedy is to use a hidden hitch that bolts to sections on the frame ahead of the last frame cross member.
If you plan on using the 4Runner, which is more than adequate for a 17ft escape, remove the factory hitch and install a hidden hitch.
"Hidden Hitch" is a specific brand name, and it doesn't belong to Curt. You are talking about installing a typical aftermarket hitch receiver, of any brand as long as it is made for your specific vehicle and is rated both Class 3 and for weight-distributing use. That is necessary for anyone wanting to use WD with this generation ("N210"; 2002–2009) of 4Runner.

Quote:
Side note: we had a 17 Casita with the EZ Sway bar and we had no problems towing the 17 foot trailer. But, with the 19 foot trailer a WDH is essential to keep the frame of the TV intact.
No, a 4Runner's frame isn't going to come apart because of a trailer without WD. The 4Runner (of any year of the last few generations) is typically rated for 500 pounds of hitch weight (trailer tongue weight), even without using a weight-distribution hitch. I would hope that a 19' Escape doesn't exceed 500 pounds of tongue weight. Even with a higher tongue weight, the WD is likely required for handling stability, rather than vehicle structure.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Quote:
Strangely ONLY early 2003 V8 4Runners were delivered with a lesser hitch equivalent to that provided with the V6 models.
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/1240081-post9.html
If you have a late 2003 or any other 4th generation V8 model year (up thru 2009) you will have the stock full frame hitch capable of use with a WDH set up. These V8’s with the proper hitch have a rated tow capacity of 7000# 4wd and 7300# 2wd.

The early 2003 V8’s or any 4th generation V6 model can have the lighter duty crossmember bolted hitch (5000# capacity) replaced as you suggest with an aftermarket type for use with weight distribution. The V8 tow capacity would be equivalent to the above stated (or as limited by hitch) and the V6 capacity is increased to 6400# 4wd and 6700# 2wd (or as limited by hitch).
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...cleID=20059095
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...cleID=20053932