Hitch recommendation for a 5th wheel? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #61

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
if you want chains with the Anderson you have to ask for them they are not standard in the hitch instillation. Many people here use them. Never a bad idea to add a safety enhancement. I am going to see how they are installed to see if i can attach them without climbing in the truck -something i don't want to do...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #62

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
if you want chains with the Anderson you have to ask for them they are not standard in the hitch instillation. Many people here use them. Never a bad idea to add a safety enhancement. I am going to see how they are installed to see if i can attach them without climbing in the truck -something i don't want to do...
They are suggested when you buy one of Andersen's 5th wheel hitches at Amazon. I'll buy the kit when I buy the hitch.
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #63

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Brian, if you're referring me to the video in post #1 in that thread, it is not available, at least on my desktop at work...
The video at the beginning of the earlier thread (the one which I linked) no longer exists, but I don't think you need any video. The one from eTrailer does show the Sidewinder; I don't know if that video is useful or not.

The discussion in this forum covers how the Sidewinder works, and various comments and opinions, including why I think it's worse than worthless.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #64

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If I was to install an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch (like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-3220.../dp/B00TAPLR1W), are there other parts necessary to hook to a 5.0 TA? It sure looks like it when I look at pics of the 5.0 TA.
That's just the part the mounts in the truck... and it's the version that requires the truck to have a towing ball mounted in the floor of the truck bed. So, yes, you need more than that.

Quote:
I hate to belabor this, but if I installed this Andersen hitch, the 5.0 TA would mount to the ball on the hitch? Of are there other "things" required between the trailer and the hitch?
Yes, you need the coupler part of the Andersen Ultimate system, which is installed on the trailer's king pin and left there. Plus safety chains and hardware to attach them.

Quote:
Part of my problem is I do not have a truck yet. I like F150's and especially their 6 cylinder ecoboost models, but their super crew cabs only come with a 5.5 or 6.5 box. I need at least a 6.5 box don't I?
Maybe not. Some owners are satisfied with the clearance (between trailer and cab) which they get with a 5.5' box, if the hitch is mounted in the right place to make this work.

Quote:
You're saying the Andersen hitch comes with the adapter piece that bolts to the kingpin on the trailer, no extra charge? I plan on buying the safety chain kit.
It comes with that adapter (the coupler) if you buy a complete Andersen Ultimate kit, not just the part which you liked the first time.

Quote:
So if I wanted a complete set up that would hook me up, this would do it in aluminum:

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...9V5CKQFM03M2DG

This would do it in steel:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSD9PVI...a-317944220587
The first one is Andersen part number 3220. Although the Amazon description is lousy, the Andersen web site's listing (which isn't much better) does show the coupler, so this does include the part which goes on the trailer. In addition to this equipment, you still need the truck to have a ball in the bed floor (often called a "gooseneck hitch"), plus the safety chain kit.

The second one is the rail-mounted and steel equivalent: Andersen part number 3200. At least that one shows the included coupler in the Amazon photo. In this case, you need this equipment, plus the rails on the box floor and their frame mounting brackets under the floor... and again the safety chain kit.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #65

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
As far as truck beds go, and there is no consensus, I believe the 6.5' is the best option for towing.

I have the 8', parking and turning around is a bit of a hassle. On the plus side, I can carry an awful lot of stuff in the truck, and have room for the 16' canoe on the roof.

The 5.5' is better for folks to use as a daily driver where parking and maneuverability are important.

My next truck will be the 6.5'. Not having kids to carry around anymore, the Supercab works well.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
My next truck will be the 6.5'. Not having kids to carry around anymore, the Supercab works well.
I like having the best of both worlds with the 6.5' bed and the SuperCrew cab with all it's space.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I like having the best of both worlds with the 6.5' bed and the SuperCrew can with all it's space.
Ditto. My lease on the 2015 is up in March. Intend to get a 2017 SuperCrew with the 6.5 ft bed this time instead of my current 5.5 ft.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
F150 Supercab 6.5' bed

Quote:
Part of my problem is I do not have a truck yet. I like F150's and especially their 6 cylinder ecoboost models, but their super crew cabs only come with a 5.5 or 6.5 box. I need at least a 6.5 box don't I?

Thanks for the help.

Frank
We have a 2017 F150 Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2.7 Ecoboost, max payload (2073 lbs), 2wd. It has the B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch with the Andersen Ultimate. The Andersen ball receiver is oriented forward of the kingpin, which allows easy lowering of the tailgate when hooked up as well as room in front of the Andersen for a good sized tool box.

We chose the Supercab as we use the back seat more for carrying stuff than people, but have carried several people without complaint. The 6.5' bed length serves better for hauling and offers less concerns when maneuvering the trailer.

The 2.7 has plenty of power and gets 15-16 mpg towing. We are very happy with the whole setup.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #69

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
My Ford F-150 has the 5.5 bed. The truck has a v6 3.5 eco boost. With the Andersen ultimate hitch, I have no trouble maneuvering the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #70

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
My Ford F-150 has the 5.5 bed. The truck has a v6 3.5 eco boost. With the Andersen ultimate hitch, I have no trouble maneuvering the trailer.

My F150 is exactly the same: 3.5 eco boost, 5.5 bed, Anderson Ultimate on rails. This is a great combination.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #71

Would a gooseneck like this do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/61052-Over-Be...tch+CURT+61052
Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #72

I get it! (I think...)

Either a ball in the bed, or rails, and then an Andersen 3200 or 3220.

I think I have this figured out now. I would rather have a ball hidden in the bed, then a rail system.

By the way, I called etrailer last night, and they really wanted me to buy a regular gooseneck hitch. I mean, they really pushed it. I was one the phone with them for 20 minutes, and could only get off by agreeing with the dude. Sheesh! He contended the Andersen hitches were simply an accident waiting to happen.

Based on comments here, I will be looking for a truck with a 6.5' bed.

Thanks all,

Frank
Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #73

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
I get it! (I think...)

Either a ball in the bed, or rails, and then an Andersen 3200 or 3220.

I think I have this figured out now. I would rather have a ball hidden in the bed, then a rail system.

By the way, I called etrailer last night, and they really wanted me to buy a regular gooseneck hitch. I mean, they really pushed it. I was one the phone with them for 20 minutes, and could only get off by agreeing with the dude. Sheesh! He contended the Andersen hitches were simply an accident waiting to happen.

Based on comments here, I will be looking for a truck with a 6.5' bed.

Thanks all,

Frank
Frank don't know who you talked to at Etrailer, but they are the people I purchased my Anderson ultimate from. That's also where i got my rail mount to attach it to truck. The rail mount is a Reese part specific to my truck, no drilling required. I could put any # of conventional 5th wheel hitches in truck by simply removing the Anderson and dropping in a conventional 5th wheel hitch. Do not see me doing this as I could not be happier with my "accident waiting to happen". It seems the majority of negative stuff I've read is from people with no actual experience, just misconceived impressions. The hitch is easy to use, light weight, quiet and adjustable. It's also rated to handle a trailer almost 4 times as heavy as 5.0TA. Go conventional 5th wheel or Anderson Ultimate, whatever your comfortable with. The Anderson works for me, and others on this forum just fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #74

Quote:
He contended the Andersen hitches were simply an accident waiting to happen.
I find this surprising, as I have mostly only heard positive response to the Andersen Ultimate, other than like Cliff mentioned some speculative negatives from those that have not used them.

I applaud Andersen for thinking outside the box and being innovative. Too many things in the trailer industry seem to have stagnated, with only modest improvements to the technologies employed. I used their WDH with my 19 and like it a lot, though do see that a few revisions need to be made. At least they are trying, and I believe nailed it on the head with the Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch which I have used for two years now and don't have a single real complaint based on design and use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #75

I agree Jim.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #76

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Frank,

One more thing to be aware of when buying your truck is the 'payload' rating, which should be listed on the label inside of the driver's door frame. Payload rating shows how much weight the truck can safely carry, which includes the pin-weight of the trailer (probably 600-700 lbs), passengers, gooseneck hitch, Andersen Ultimate, and anything else you would carry in the truck.

We chose the B&W because of the turnover ball, which gives you a totally open bed. E-trailer offers it in a variety of configurations, which can be bolted to various truck brands with no drilling other than the one hole in the bed for the ball and four smaller ones for the eye-bolts to which the safety chains attach. The eye-bolts are spring-loaded to retract and are spaced to be in the low points between the raised ribs in the truck bed.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #77

I am familiar with the payload stuff, thanks. I do not want an over loaded TV!

No one commented on this CURT 61052 Over-Bed Folding Ball Gooseneck Hitch for some reason. https://www.amazon.com/61052-Over-Be...tch+CURT+61052

It is much more reasonably priced. Is there some reason NOT to go this route? Otherwise I will probably go with stationary rails.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #78

Quote:
I am familiar with the payload stuff, thanks. I do not want an over loaded TV!

No one commented on this CURT 61052 Over-Bed Folding Ball Gooseneck Hitch for some reason. https://www.amazon.com/61052-Over-Be...tch+CURT+61052

It is much more reasonably priced. Is there some reason NOT to go this route? Otherwise I will probably go with stationary rails.

Thanks!
I don't see how this would work. There seems to be no way of mounting it to the truck frame. B&W and similar gooseneck hitches all have kits to adapt to specific vehicle.

Maybe I am just missing something?

edit: I looked a little further and it also requires over-bed gooseneck installation brackets.
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/61052

I would think this hitch would work good. If you give it a go, let us know how things went.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #79

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
I find this surprising, as I have mostly only heard positive response to the Andersen Ultimate, other than like Cliff mentioned some speculative negatives from those that have not used them.
Opinions are not near as good on other forums, the ones for monster 5th wheels. That was one of the main reasons I passed on them when I was looking in 2014. Anderson has since revamped the hitch but the first impressions remain.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #80

Quote:
I looked a little further and it also requires over-bed gooseneck installation brackets.
CURT Manufacturing - CURT Over-Bed Folding Ball Gooseneck Hitch #61052
Aha! Thanks Jim!