New to forum - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2023, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21NE
New to forum

I just purchased a post inventory 21NE. I have been catching up on the things I need for my Escape. I was able to add on after production on 2 inch lift, E 2 No Sway, additional towable counter space, additional USBs and Captain Lights, additional panel in dinette, and electric hitch. I have a 2023 Canyon Denali that tows 7700 lbs so I think that will be ok. I just wanted to say hi and any advice I can get (new to rv camping) would be appreciated. My Wife wants the theee cats brought along so any advice on rv’ing with cats would be greatly appreciated
Steveblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Welcome!
Old 11-29-2023, 12:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveblt View Post
My Wife wants the theee cats brought along so any advice on rv’ing with cats would be greatly appreciated
Welcome.

Here's a few threads you might find helpful...
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...cat-24844.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...cat-20804.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ats-15904.html
Old 11-29-2023, 12:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Hi Steveblt, welcome to the Forum. We tow our 2019 E-21 with a 2017 GMC Canyon diesel and it tows great. No worries.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21'
Welcome to our friendly little group!
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up travel with cats

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new E21!

In last link posted by Rubicon Above I'll highlight
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post300830

Member DavidMurphy02 is probably the resident expert on RV travels with cats, he and wife Mary are never without them on their frequent long treks, and his many 'what's out your back window' contributions with cats have brought a smile to many member's faces.

You might enjoy these ...

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/m...albums269.html

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post287959
Old 11-30-2023, 05:54 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveblt View Post
I just purchased a post inventory 21NE. I have been catching up on the things I need for my Escape. I was able to add on after production on 2 inch lift, E 2 No Sway, additional towable counter space, additional USBs and Captain Lights, additional panel in dinette, and electric hitch. I have a 2023 Canyon Denali that tows 7700 lbs so I think that will be ok. I just wanted to say hi and any advice I can get (new to rv camping) would be appreciated. My Wife wants the theee cats brought along so any advice on rv’ing with cats would be greatly appreciated
Here's a few ideas:

Get on FiberglassRV site and check the rally schedule for 2024 for anywhere you might want to go. There will be from 10 to 100 similar minded people with various brands of fiberglass trailers that want you to learn from them and see their trailers.

Get the lifetime senior pass from the National Park system, if you're old enough (62, I think). Free admission to all national parks, but the pass is $80 lifetime, and then camping at any federal facility is half price. Learn about Corps of Engineers camping. Usually less than $20 with the senior pass, and nearly always water and electric, and a dump station.

Click on the Owners Map, here on the Forum to see people with Escapes in your area. I see 9 listed of various Escape trailer sizes and model years for Florida. Not everyone puts themself on this map, but it's interesting.

Get a camping app that shows public and private campgrounds, We use one that was $10, but there are several, and we wouldn't travel without one. Ours shows ratings, prices, and directions.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 05:59 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Get on FiberglassRV site and check the rally schedule for 2024 for anywhere you might want to go. There will be from 10 to 100 similar minded people with various brands of fiberglass trailers that want you to learn from them and see their trailers.
Unfortunately Hidalga took the maps down. No longer available.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Hi Steve, welcome to the escape family! We've been traveling with our cats for over 20 years, as many as four at times and down to two right now. They have all done well and, although they don't like the driving part, they seem to really enjoy being in the trailer with us. Once they get used to camping and the view changing regularly, they really seem to enjoy looking out the windows. In the trailer they get a lot more face time with us and attention than when they're roaming around the whole house at home and I think that's something they really like.

We keep our litter box in the bathroom, and had a cat-sized hole put in the bottom of the door for easy access for them. The box takes up the whole floor so we have to take it out when we want to go into the bathroom, but that hasn't been as much trouble as we expected. Other people have put litter boxes in a variety of places, you can find lots about that on the forum.

It's a good idea to have something for them to scratch on. I wrapped the dinette post base in sisal to make a scratching pole, and we also have a sisal mat inside the front door. If you don't give them something to scratch on they will pick something...something that you probably don't want them scratching on.

We've never had a cat claw the window screens or screen door. They like looking out the screen door, but we never leave just the screen door in place when we are away from the trailer. We have the pop-up side table counter extensions on both sides of the dinette and they really like those for looking out the windows.

If you have other specific questions about traveling with cats send me a PM with your contact info, I'm happy to chat any time. The only thing I like talking about more than our Escape trailer is our cats
Attached Thumbnails
Sunflowers.jpg   View 03.jpg   View 10.jpg   Litter 2.jpg   Litter 1.jpg  

Old 12-08-2023, 11:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
RVForum has several threads where new RV'ers worked to condition their cats to their motor home in the yard while they driveway camped to work out bugs and issues with the brand new rig. You might want to read them.

5 cats: we are insane. Week 1

We finally fired the beast up and took them kitties(5) for a ride

Maiden Voyage - 5 cats, now 4 cats

Charles
Old 12-09-2023, 04:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
David, I see you cut a “cat door” into the bathroom for presumed litter box purposes. I once suggested that if I had cats (long term allergy, after a few days with a cat my nose gets totally plugged, aka, rhinitis), I would install a cat door on the wall of the passenger side dinette bench into the outside storage compartment. That way, the litter box could be serviced from the outside of the trailer. Another member told me recently that he did just that.

And Steve, welcome to the Escape family and the forum from another Floridian, although I am from the “better” coast!
Old 12-09-2023, 09:10 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Welcome. You made a brilliant choice by purchasing an Escape. Congratulations. Don't be afraid to ask questions, this is a friendly, knowledgeable group. I've learned a lot from them.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 10:11 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Welcome!
Old 12-09-2023, 07:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 5.0
This has been working out for me.
I’m working on a scratching pad attached onto a wall somewhere, unless I can convince them to use the carpet on the steps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0873.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 10:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Unfortunately Hidalga took the maps down. No longer available.
We still have the rallies listings (in our Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets forum). It’ll take some looking for gatherings in your area, but we try to list by both state/province and date.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:44 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
We still have the rallies listings (in our Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets forum). It’ll take some looking for gatherings in your area, but we try to list by both state/province and date.
Sure wish we could get the sort-by-state feature here. Sigh.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 03:16 PM   #17
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
The layout of the 21NE is similar to the 19 which we had until we upgraded to a 21C. For the 19, I placed the litter box under the bed. To allow access I took one of the cabinet doors and took it to Home Depot and found a cut piece of plywood of similar thickness. I simply traced the door onto the plywood while I was there and asked them to cut it for me (we were away from home at the time so no circular saw access).

Then I moved the handle and hinges from the original door, which I did not want to cut a hole in, and moved them to the new plywood door. I did have a drill and a hole saw, so I was able to cut and sand a round hole in the plywood for the cat to get through the door to her food and litter box, and the hole in the door kept the dog out of her food. I used some of that no-slip rubber rug stuff to keep the litter box in place and it worked well, even on bumpy roads.

Very similar to what others have done. The references to the other posts look like they will give you an almost infinite number of possibilities to consider and come up with a solution that works for you. Good Luck!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
We bring our cat on adventures with our 5.0 towed by a GMC Cayon Diesel. There’s a thread on here Escaping with a cat that a few people had good suggestions in.

If your cats are ok riding in the truck for a drive around town, that’s more than half the battle.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:58 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Hi welcome ! Lots of information in the archives here and experts willing to answer specific concerns. Obvious from your cat replies.
You made a great choice in a trailer, it will tow nicely with your truck.
You’re in a great area, I know it well. We sailed out of Stuart for many winters to the Abaco’s.
We were also new to RVs when we bought our 17B in 2019. A few things we purchased that we really like and use a lot were, a Weber 1200 BBQ, a Blackstone 17” griddle, (we cook 99% outside the RV), an AeroPress coffee maker, Clam Shelter, hammock, a small ice maker.
We have a couple of small camping tarps we can rig over the hammock or the front of our awning for sun/rain protection when needed.
Enjoy, Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote