Prodigy Brake controller VS Autowbrake - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2022, 02:43 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 2019 19'
Prodigy Brake controller VS Autowbrake

We are trading our 2018 Mercedes Metris van for a 2022 Toyota Highlander AWD.

The Metris tow package included a 7-pin which paired with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller worked admirably towing and stopping our Escape 19.

Our new Highlander comes with the tow package which includes a 4-pin.

Please chime in on your thoughts on which route to take:

A) Install a 7-pin with 12V from battery under the Highlander to the rear (labor intensive) and use the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller that I already own

B) Sell the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller and buy the AutowBrake

Thanks in advance guys!
infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:02 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Either way, you will still need a 7 pin wire install.......
Old 03-12-2022, 07:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
In a conventional 7-pin, the trailer brakes are powered by the tow vehicle battery, which is constantly being charged by the alternator. The tow can also charge the trailer battery.

With the Autowbrake, the trailer brakes are powered by the trailer battery, which is not being charged by the tow vehicle while driving. Part of me says that should be OK, but a bigger part of me doesn't like it and would prefer to have the brakes powered by the tow vehicle.

I can create situations (maybe not super likely, but still.....) where one could deplete the trailer battery while towing and lose brakes, or arrive to camp with a nearly discharged battery.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity View Post
We are trading our 2018 Mercedes Metris van for a 2022 Toyota Highlander AWD.

The Metris tow package included a 7-pin which paired with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller worked admirably towing and stopping our Escape 19.

Our new Highlander comes with the tow package which includes a 4-pin.

Please chime in on your thoughts on which route to take:

A) Install a 7-pin with 12V from battery under the Highlander to the rear (labor intensive) and use the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller that I already own

B) Sell the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller and buy the AutowBrake

Thanks in advance guys!
Buy a Tundra, or maybe Sequoia if they come with a tow package.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
... With the Autowbrake, the trailer brakes are powered by the trailer battery ....
Actually, the Autowbrake installation instructions dictate the trailer battery should never be used as its power source (following is copy>paste from pages 4&5 of the Autowbrake instructions, bold added by me for emphasis):
"Note: Power source
DO NOT USE TRAILER BATTERY OR BREAK AWAY BATTERY FOR POWER SOURCE

If you do not have a 12-volt power line from tow vehicle (example 4 way flat plug instead of a 7 way), you can Use running lights as direct 12-volt power source.

When using this option, you must have your vehicle lights turned manually to the on position, and not use the automatic light feature. You must also know if you fail to turn the tow vehicle lights on while towing you will also not have functioning trailer brakes.
"
IMO ^this^ alternative to having a dedicated always-on-with-ignition-on 12volt power source from the tow vehicle (e.g. a 7-pin connector) is even worse. Both the requirement to have running lights "on" to have brakes and the potential for issues with tow vehicle running light circuits lacking adequate current capacity (e.g. circuits designed for low-wattage or LED tow vehicle running lights) is fraught with risk.

Personally, I would never use a trailer braking system that lacks a braking power source and circuit of known adequate ampacity connected directly to the tow vehicle battery and always 'hot' with ignition on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity View Post
A) Install a 7-pin with 12V from battery under the Highlander to the rear (labor intensive) ....
IMO ^this^ one-time 'labor intensive' installation is the prudent thing to do for all sorts of reasons relating to assured long-term trailering safety.

YMMV.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape
With Autowbrake you still need to connect to the tow vehicle for power and lights. The best way is with a 7 pin connector (which I know you are trying to avoid the cost of adding). An alternative is a 4 pin connector, which has two drawbacks IMO. First, the lights must be on to provide power. Second, the power from a 4 pin connector would be running through a 14-16 ga wire, rather than a 10 ga wire as in a 7 pin connector. That is power for the brakes, lights, and charging the trailer battery. Same for the ground wire, I think.

It seems that the Autowbrake is best for someone who has the 7 pin connector but would rather not add a controller to the dash area of the vehicle.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Actually, the Autowbrake installation instructions dictate the trailer battery should never be used as its power source (following is copy>paste from pages 4&5 of the Autowbrake instructions, bold added by me for emphasis):

OK, I'll admit that since the autowbrake uses the flat-4 connector, I jumped to the conclusion that it uses the trailer battery.

What you describe is, indeed, even worse.

I would not trust the running light wire of the tow vehicle to be capable of providing enough current to run the light and the brakes. You could pop a fuse in heavy braking and lose the brakes. This is just not a great idea.

Do it the right way, install a 7-pin.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
... I would not trust the running light wire of the tow vehicle to be capable of providing enough current to run the light and the brakes. You could pop a fuse in heavy braking and lose the brakes. This is just not a great idea.
I absolutely agree, and IMO for Autowbrake to endorse this 'solution' without any caveat / guidance about verifying tow-vehicle-specific running light circuit ampacity is irresponsible and seriously undermines their overall credibility / trust factor.

Quote:
... Do it the right way, install a 7-pin.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:52 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 2019 19'
Etrailer recommended that I use this part for either the autowbrake or prodigy.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/ETBC7L.html

Or

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/ETBC7.html
infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have a 2018 Highlander XLE AWD. We have the regular p-3 controller and have a 7
Pin connection that was installed at the dealership. We tow the 2013 Escape 21 without a problem, have been in many states and all kinds of roads where the P3 has worked flawlessly.
It seems to me that when I’ve seen used brake controllers for sale, they haven’t brought much money. I’ve had a situation where a relatively new vehicle battery had went dead because of a defect in the battery and the vehicle would not start. A dead battery and electro brakes are a bad combination regardless of the controller power source.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-18-2022, 11:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Many vehicles nowdays come with the wiring for the 7 pin but not the connector itself, I would check to see if Toyota has a 7 pin connector kit that installs, and possibly requires software activation by the dealer to function. This was the case for a friend of mine with his Jeep Grand Cherokee, he installed the parts and ended up paying the dealer 1 hr labor to activate the circuitry via software. The brake controller connector was also already present so he installed that too.

Charles